Game lagging in any server without connection problems

Discussions about UT99
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Game lagging in any server without connection problems

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I have always had problems connecting to servers since a few years, sometimes it finishes downloading everything but doesn't let me connect, now there's a worse problem, even if the connection is good, sometimes I shoot a shock beam to make a combo with the shock sphere but it does nothing at all and doesn't even hurt anyone, also sometimes players disappear from my client view, these "fake-lag" issues annoying, do you know why this happens? (I tried to use a different version of UT99 and even to set the netspeed to 20k to be sure but nothing changed)

EDIT: Ok I just checked and the shock combo cannot be done if the sphere is a bit far away. It only happens in multiplayer.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Game lagging in any server without connection problems

Post by JackGriffin »

If you don't get a sufficient answer let me know and I'll fire up my UT server. You can join and we can look at the logs to see what's up.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

JackGriffin wrote:If you don't get a sufficient answer let me know and I'll fire up my UT server. You can join and we can look at the logs to see what's up.
I have these fake-lag issues with the vanilla version of UT too, I didn't have them before I installed the October version of Windows 10 from scratch.

EDIT: Also if I choose the shockrifle while playing a map from UnrealEd my inventory list in the HUD and the weapon itself disappear, I cannot shoot with it.
EDIT2: When I save a map with the editor, the camera is also saved.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

You're too advanced an operator to ask these things but I will anyway in the interest of the people google searching this problem and finding your thread.

Did you try:
-a fresh install from default media
-running the exe in compatibility mode
-address the DEP issue
-update your local drivers for the system
-try playing the game with your system in a DMZ to exclude router issues
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

JackGriffin wrote:a fresh install from default media
Tried.
JackGriffin wrote:running the exe in compatibility mode
Tried.
JackGriffin wrote:address the DEP issue
Tried.
JackGriffin wrote:update your local drivers for the system
Like what drivers?
JackGriffin wrote:try playing the game with your system in a DMZ to exclude router issues
The fake-lag issues don't always happen, just sometimes, instead when I play the map I'm going to attach now with UnrealEd the inventory always disappears if I move the player view.
CTF-LavaSurfing_BETA.unr
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Also I tried switching from D3D10 to D3D9 with no luck

EDIT: I tried switching from Integrated graphic card to NVIDIA, no luck :lol:
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Have you tried using one of the latest OpenGL drivers?
blarg
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

NetSpeed?
Edit: Nvm.

Try MTR (or WinMTR if you're on windows), enter a server's IP and post results.
A couple of minutes should be enough.

Sometimes your ISP or a node in the middle can be causing problems... but if you say it's happening on most servers, it may be your ISP
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

In those moments you are getting lagged I'd try manually pinging the server and see if it's off the charts in that moment. I agree with Higor, once you exclude pretty much everything locally then it's got to be an ISP issue.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Dual or multicore fixes?

https://sites.google.com/site/ut99gotydownloads/home for a few examples.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

MrLoathsome wrote:Have you tried using one of the latest OpenGL drivers?
Nothing changed, it cannot be a graphic driver problem at this point.
Higor wrote:Try MTR (or WinMTR if you're on windows), enter a server's IP and post results.
A couple of minutes should be enough.

Sometimes your ISP or a node in the middle can be causing problems... but if you say it's happening on most servers, it may be your ISP
This is what happens with the ut99.org ip:
Spoiler
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| No response from host - 100 | 27 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 27 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 26 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| gpaas4.dc2.gandi.net - 0 | 26 | 26 | 37 | 40 | 71 | 40 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
JackGriffin wrote:In those moments you are getting lagged I'd try manually pinging the server and see if it's off the charts in that moment. I agree with Higor, once you exclude pretty much everything locally then it's got to be an ISP issue.
Ping is the same that is displayed in the players list, I was on a server and the ping was just 42.
Chamberly wrote:Dual or multicore fixes?
I tried both, I tried using different versions of UT, including the multicore fixed one.

EDIT: Also the flag location is not aways updated, sometimes cappers still carry the flag even if they already capped and other times a flag is still at the base even if it actually isn't.
EDIT 2: As you can see from this video:
ZreMONfkBBQ
the weapons don't just disappear visually, they disappear for real. When you say "the lag is real"...
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I wouldn't use the in-game ping for anything as a measure other than a baseline of comparison. At this point I'd consider something that runs all the time and keeps a log. This: https://www.paessler.com/ping-monitoring is way too much but it's in line with what you probably need.

How does normal speed tests/file downloading work for you? Is it consistent or does it also jump around? You might also try something like Hotspot Shield to run your game through a VPN. It's going to run slower for sure but you'll see if the lag spiking gets eliminated. It could be your ISP shaping traffic in high demand times.

IIRC Hitman had this same issue with his ISP when running his servers from his house and ended up moving the servers to another provider. I think the node he was on was just overloaded. That might be the case for you too.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

JackGriffin wrote:I wouldn't use the in-game ping for anything as a measure other than a baseline of comparison. At this point I'd consider something that runs all the time and keeps a log. This: https://www.paessler.com/ping-monitoring is way too much but it's in line with what you probably need.

How does normal speed tests/file downloading work for you? Is it consistent or does it also jump around? You might also try something like Hotspot Shield to run your game through a VPN. It's going to run slower for sure but you'll see if the lag spiking gets eliminated. It could be your ISP shaping traffic in high demand times.

IIRC Hitman had this same issue with his ISP when running his servers from his house and ended up moving the servers to another provider. I think the node he was on was just overloaded. That might be the case for you too.
But why does it happen in single player too? I think it could be something related to the new version of Windows 10 :/

EDIT: Now that I continue that map the weapons don't disappear anymore:
CTF-LavaSurfing_BETA_2.unr
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
I just added a ZoneInfo, an island and some steel box decorations.
Last edited by PrinceOfFunky on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Ah, I missed that part. Have you ran a serious spyware check? Something more robust that Malwarebytes? You could have picked up something and just be unaware. It's happened to all of us. I wouldn't think it was Windows10 on it's own unless you just have some weird setup that no one else has. Have you tested your RAM btw? Bad RAM can do odd things.

I'd hit a couple of the free rootkit scanners and maybe one or two online malware scanners just to be sure you don't have something hiding in there. Maybe even monitor your outbound traffic to watch for anything pinging out.

Barring all that you could go to the NSA's home page and ask them to give you a break :loool:
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

JackGriffin wrote:Ah, I missed that part. Have you ran a serious spyware check? Something more robust that Malwarebytes? You could have picked up something and just be unaware. It's happened to all of us. I wouldn't think it was Windows10 on it's own unless you just have some weird setup that no one else has. Have you tested your RAM btw? Bad RAM can do odd things.

I'd hit a couple of the free rootkit scanners and maybe one or two online malware scanners just to be sure you don't have something hiding in there. Maybe even monitor your outbound traffic to watch for anything pinging out.

Barring all that you could go to the NSA's home page and ask them to give you a break :loool:
I have a clean Windows 10 installation on VirtualBox, I use it to check if some programs are actually virus, maybe I could test UT99 on it through guest-additions.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:Have you tested your RAM btw? Bad RAM can do odd things.
I would bet on this ... if your RAM needs a medic you'll never know what can happen.
Mouse freezing, stuff disappearing, BSoD because you hit "esc", buffer gets unloaded ... etc.