raytracing in ut series ?¿

Discussions about UT99
Post Reply
darksonny
Skilled
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by darksonny » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 pm

reading this news about raytracing from a spanish site (inside are two vids with quake 2 demo with raytracing)? I wonder how could we enable this feature in ut? I have a quadro p4000, should I download anything driver related to update my rig?

https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2019/ ... o-en-1997/

Translation on the fly (very fast):

"If you have a GeForce RTX, but you do not have anything to take advantage of, do not worry, since a group of modders have implemented RayTracing technology in the classic Quake 2 released in 1997.

This group of moderators have created the Q2VKPT (see url here:http://brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/), described as the first playable game that really includes ray tracing technology that efficiently simulates fully dynamic lighting in real time. While some games have begun to explore improvements in the representation of shadows and reflections (see Battlefield V), Q2VKPT is the first project to implement an efficient unified solution for all types of light transport: direct, scattered and reflected light.



According to its team of developers, this project is intended to serve as a proof of concept for computer graphics research, and to give enthusiasts a glimpse into the future potential of game graphics. In addition to the use of hardware accelerated ray tracing, Q2VKPT mainly derives its efficiency from an adaptive image filtering technique that intelligently tracks changes in scene lighting to reuse as much information as possible from previous calculations.

It is said that thanks to the Vulkan API and the RT cores, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti can approach an experience of 60 FPS at 2560 × 1440 pixels, and all without DLSS, which still allows to improve even more the fluidity of the game. In other words, we are observing a fully dynamic global illumination through RayTracing with path tracing, real-time shadows, bright reflections and indirect lighting reflection.

"It's a physical simulation of light that allows a highly realistic representation. The route trace uses RayTracing to determine the visibility between the scattering events. However, RayTracing is simply a primitive operation that can be used for many things. Therefore, RayTracing not only automatically produces realistic images. For that you can use light transport algorithms such as route mapping. However, while it is elegant and very powerful, route planning is very expensive and takes a long time to produce stable images.

This project uses an intelligent adaptive filter that reuses as much information as possible in many frames and pixels to produce robust and stable images."

User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by PrinceOfFunky » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 pm

I believe UT99 already uses a ray-tracing algorithm since we have shadows, just not an advanced one.
The ray-tracing is baked directly into a map when you rebuild the light, so it is a static ray-tracing.
As the article says they've used Vulkan which is a powerful graphic driver, there's no anything like "Vulkan.dll" for UT99 and the current drivers don't allow real-time ray-casting.
I actually don't know what the graphic drivers have access to in Unreal Engine 1.
Image

User avatar
Hook
Masterful
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 pm
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin
Location: Minnesota USA
Contact:

Re: raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by Hook » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:37 am

You are absolutely correct PrinceOfFunky. :tu:
You posted much of what I was thinking as I read this.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
Forums: http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777

User avatar
rjmno1
Masterful
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm
Personal rank: masterfull

Re: raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by rjmno1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:40 pm

Yeah i did read it from dutch tech zsite and it looks very good.
Is it possible to add it into unreal tournament 99 also?
unreal tournament 99
®
Image
Image
ImageImage

darksonny
Skilled
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by darksonny » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 pm

rjmno1 wrote:Yeah i did read it from dutch tech zsite and it looks very good.
Is it possible to add it into unreal tournament 99 also?
I was wondering same...anyway its being told that utgoty does support raytracing I don't know how notice the difference :???:
Speaking of vulkan according this site it does support vulkan too, see here

source:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... lestone-29
Attachments
0.29.0-bin-x86_64-Release.zip
(951.69 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Vulkan1Drv.zip
(12.81 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by PrinceOfFunky » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:43 am

darksonny wrote:
rjmno1 wrote:Yeah i did read it from dutch tech zsite and it looks very good.
Is it possible to add it into unreal tournament 99 also?
I was wondering same...anyway its being told that utgoty does support raytracing I don't know how notice the difference :???:
Speaking of vulkan according this site it does support vulkan too, see here

source:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... lestone-29
This works well on UT99, there's no real-time ray-tracing tho, for example shadows are still static and won't be calculate in real-time.
Image

User avatar
rjmno1
Masterful
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm
Personal rank: masterfull

Re: raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by rjmno1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 pm

PrinceOfFunky wrote:
darksonny wrote:
rjmno1 wrote:Yeah i did read it from dutch tech zsite and it looks very good.
Is it possible to add it into unreal tournament 99 also?
I was wondering same...anyway its being told that utgoty does support raytracing I don't know how notice the difference :???:
Speaking of vulkan according this site it does support vulkan too, see here

source:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... lestone-29
This works well on UT99, there's no real-time ray-tracing tho, for example shadows are still static and won't be calculate in real-time.
Unreal engine 4.x does support raytracing.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog ... nvidia-rtx :gj:

Long live the 2000 series of Nvidia.
unreal tournament 99
®
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Barbie
Godlike
Posts: 1703
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: moved without proper hashing

Re: raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:34 pm

Eton05 wrote:
darksonny wrote:(full quote deleted)
It's so interesting, thank you for sharing :)
This is what spammers often write in forums. Full quote and reply with a commonplace... :barf:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9276
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: raytracing in ut series ?¿

Post by papercoffee » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:09 am

Barbie wrote:
Eton05 wrote:
darksonny wrote:(full quote deleted)
It's so interesting, thank you for sharing :)
This is what spammers often write in forums. Full quote and reply with a commonplace... :barf:
Next time please report the post.

Edit---------------
Banned. :wink:

Post Reply