Interesting reddit thread

Discussions about UT99
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Interesting reddit thread

Post by JackGriffin »

Link:

The discussion was started on GoW but quickly moved into UT. If you read through the thread CliffyB is in there. I'd love to know who some of the others are.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: Interesting reddit thread

Post by TheDane »

One of the best quotes from that debate must be this:
UT into Gears of War it was like... what can't these guys do? Then Cliffy B f**** off to do his own thing, which is apparently to make terrible games, and Epic goes on to make billions with one f****** game that doesn't come close to scratching that itch of "competitive arena FPS".

I dunno. I'm happy that the guys that made the Unreal games are sleeping in beds made of hundred dollar bills and wiping their asses with gold, I just feel like the spark that made Epic epic is gone.
$$$$$$$ rulez the world of gaming :tu: But Fortnite isn't that bad once you give it a go, it's just too expensive. And anoying for us EU players, we can't join a squad with random players without getting a 8 year old kid screaming stuff at a language we don't understand - very anoying haha .... so chat's off!
Retired.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Interesting reddit thread

Post by Feralidragon »

Yeah, I had noticed that thread yesterday, and it's curious to see that the top "Unreal Tournament" comment fell to 2nd place.
Goes to show that UT players are the first to react, but still GoW has the greatest number of fans and followers, probably due to the average age of Reddit users on the gaming sub, thus probably many do not really know UT.

Fortnite is a great game, and is the game I have still played the most for the past year, and still have fun with it.
However, it's loosing its edge, not because it's getting old, but because you get to feel more and more that the team behind it are either loosing passion and not trying as hard, or were never that competent to begin with.

There hasn't been a single patch/update since about May or June of last year without issues, and I mean game breaking issues, and the game's performance has been degrading patch after patch, and you constantly run into the dumbest bugs, like obvious things which would be easily caught during proper testing, and easily avoided if their developers built their code properly from the get-go, which, for most things they introduce, is not that hard to do.

You know the devs aren't even trying when for each bug you encounter you immediately know what is causing it without even looking at their code.

But one very interesting thing they have introduced is the creative mode: you get to create your own maps and games and the like in Fortnite, very cool stuff I must say.
And they can feature one of your builds in the main BR map itself at a specific location, which they rotate every week.
I still didn't get to play with it much (I also want to finish an UT99 map first).

Having that said, whenever I play, I either go solo or with friends or family.
If there's game type I want to play and is duos or squads only, I will play it solo as well: won quite some games on squads and 1 in duos last week (as solo), but mostly because they were LTMs I am particularly better at, sniper-related, otherwise I am pretty much a stain at the game (I rarely have any wins at all), although I often come up in 2nd and then freak out and mess the win. :lol2: