Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

MAJOR bot-pathing request, the sequel

Post by EvilGrins »

Partially inspired by this chat on another forum:
evilgrins wrote:
Nelsona wrote:I'm not interested to fix sh!t mods which others are doing, but maybe removing them in future...
Currently got my eye on about 15 maps I wanna edit, I'll let you know if one of them is something you might wanna take a crack at.

Actually, I can think of 1 specific but it's in a post on another forum...
I'm on a LOT of forums.

A long time back I requested a GINORMOUS MonsterHunt map to be bot-pathed, that would be this · viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11942

Took a few months but the final result was perfect... but I mentioned another map that was linked there too, and now seems to be a good time for it.

Who would like to take a shot at bot-pathing this?
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... astle-2012

Also, if possible, make it so the map is not dependent on the Oldskool Amp'd mod
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Higor
Godlike

Re: MAJOR bot-pathing request, the sequel

Post by Higor »

Nice
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Interesting your quote, EG, but actually it was about the OTHER crap (oops map) which you... edited... not SkaarjCastle whatever. Perhaps it's more constructive to avoid a posting soup.
I'll take a look at SkaarjCastle - good reminder I have to admit.

Edit: Question @Higor: What do you think about these 1394 PathNodes + the rest of N.Points from version 2012F of this map ? Primary testing with ShowPath was not that entertaining...
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I was already fixing them, then editor didn't save :loool:
Will take my time on this one, go ahead if you want your private copy lol
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I removed from paths ammo and Playerstarts, primary room seems to not have too many answers at DevPath query... I put there TeleporterPathsFixer and a node for getting over them, lazy dev over there. In next tunnels I got navigation, I'm not sure what will be later in those fields... This is a big one... and last area to the End will need to be entirely constructed... I'll be patient because I'm curious what you'll do here :) .
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:Interesting your quote, EG, but actually it was about the OTHER crap (oops map) which you... edited... not SkaarjCastle whatever
I knew that, and knowing your frustration with that other one...I thought to find something you might like to work on.

That's why SkaarjCastle.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Any updates, guys?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Huh, thought this map WAS pathnoded, or am I just thinking of MH-SkaarjTower :???:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote:Huh, thought this map WAS pathnoded, or am I just thinking of MH-SkaarjTower
There's a link to the pathed tower map at the top of the thread, this is a different request.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:Any updates, guys?
I'm waiting to see what Higor can do - in this oversized one I wanna learn more about paths optimization and then Higor owns everyone here. I did a few tests, and for me it looks like other Nodes added (required in last area) will go nowhere, which means a waste of time, but... maybe Higor will gain some positive result. To not forget that in original paths build, starting spot did not even blink at DevPath...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Just to toss in a slight additive to the edit, while I can certainly do it myself when the pathed version is available... removing all Unreal1 weapons from the map and replacing them with their ut99 equivalents would be ideal.

Especially the ones the Skaarj-military are carrying.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:when the pathed version is available...
I have a deduction: Higor probably has figured some bad zones, I think original DevPath it's even useless and... maybe is planing another optimisation of this Dev.
Else I might advice to look over that "Time-Cycle-Clamp -> return None" or whatever is toward seeking in 3D space (not 800 UU but 1200-1600 if CPU is a monster) and allow a bit more freedom for XC Servers/Games. It would be helpful in maps a la GardenOfDeath, LostInTomeV3 and such, and like this one after all... Allow through a boolean value option to accelerate CPU usage if it's needed. Weak servers can have it disabled if do game-lags. So far I pushed CPU at 80%-90% when I roamed 300-400 monsters using a personal toy. Probably I7 machines won't go closer to 10% CPU.
I would be happy to have a "float" configured value for maximum time taken at processing path seeking. I would set there 5-8 ms because I don't think in a DM with 3 Bots this would be a problem and it would be more helpful. And seriously... maximum 1000 paths is... an utterly stupid limitation... it should be also configurable...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bumping this for fun.
I went to check some of those maps which are "requiring" a MyLevel.* file which is not used and neither having a legit purpose as described in thread "lousy map archives" or such and the same story is described in another thread in order to confirm that hosting bullshit stuff for UT is a common habit for causing more pain to admins.
Else... this "NaPali" thing which is different from one map to another distracted me toward map called MH-MinesOfNapali and reworked into MH-UM-MinesOfNapali, using 16 PlayerStart actors (I wanna see 16 players there how nice are bugging each-other) and being a very easy map for Bots as well. We do not have only USELESS files coming with this archive but probably a PathNode is costing 1000$ so no one has money for adding these in maps.
Pretty disappointing in a way... here is archive http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ma ... li.unr.zip - archive has 12 MB of a zip format containing junks not used by map.
Let's say the for a small MH party in the house, Bot can be used here:
[attachment=0]MH-MinesOfNapali_Rv19.7z[/attachment]

As dependencies we might have (from "original" archive):
- MonsterHunt.u - main file for MonsterHunt game;
- Digh.umx - music;
- Mayhem.umx - music;
- Texture used for custom counter (because I changed opening way for last door) as MyLevel it's in map, NOT OUTSIDE.
MHBotyman4 confirmed route to the end (not using here MonsterWayPoint actors) so it has full Bot support. PlayerStarts and some items are not connected to Navigation Network because... we don't need more useless data in map Image.
Attachments
MH-MinesOfNapali_Rv19.7z
Only Map File
(189.96 KiB) Downloaded 35 times