more than 32 bots. How?

Discussions about UT99
gattovicentino
Average
Location: Vicenza (Veneto - Italia) / Santa Catarina (Brasil)

more than 32 bots. How?

Post by gattovicentino »

Hello,

I'm trying to add more bots than default (in "normal" deathmatch: only me against bots) testing some very big maps.
So, editing unrealtournament.ini I can easily reach 32 bots:

Code: Select all

[Botpack.DeathMatchPlus]
MinPlayers=32
InitialBots=32
But, If i would use more than 32 bots? I tried to edit unrealtournament.ini (for example, putting 64 instead of 32) but It doesn't work (ingame I see still 32 bots).
So I tried the "addbots" command, using the console, but nothing happens (addbots 32, addbots 8 or addbots any other number); still 32 bots.
So, what's wrong?

Thanks
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: more than 32 bots. How?

Post by sektor2111 »

This

Code: Select all

class ChallengeBotInfo extends Info
	config(User);

var() config string VoiceType[32];
var() config String BotFaces[32];
var() config bool	bAdjustSkill;
var() config bool	bRandomOrder;
var   config byte	Difficulty;

var() config string BotNames[32];
var() config int BotTeams[32];
var() config float BotSkills[32];
var() config float BotAccuracy[32];
var() config float CombatStyle[32]; 
var() config float Alertness[32];
var() config float Camping[32];
var() config float StrafingAbility[32];
var() config string FavoriteWeapon[32];
var	  byte ConfigUsed[32];
var() config string BotClasses[32];
var() config string BotSkins[32];
var() config byte BotJumpy[32];
var string AvailableClasses[32], AvailableDescriptions[32], NextBotClass;
var int NumClasses;
var localized string Skills[8];
var string DesiredName;
Me personally I don't see anything bigger than 32. For other options this class has to be changed with another class using a mutator else nothing will happen.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

The limit is hard-coded.
For example ...you can't edit all 32 bots in the menu. But with the "marginal enhanced" bot-setup you can edit them.
Many people use some other mods to edit even more bots... but I think more then 16 simultaneously in one match is still not possible.

Or is there already a mutator for that and I got it all wrong?

Edit------------------------------
Argh! sektor ninjaed me.

Oh so this is a mutator?
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

papercoffee wrote:The limit is hard-coded.
For example ...you can't edit all 32 bots in the menu. But with the "marginal enhanced" bot-setup you can edit them.
Many people use some other mods to edit even more bots... but I think more then 16 simultaneously in one match is still not possible.

Or is there already a mutator for that and I got it all wrong?

Edit------------------------------
Argh! sektor ninjaed me.

Oh so this is a mutator?
I've seen mutators over the years (bots32) it was called I think?? I've tried a few mutators but never could get them to play more than 16.
gattovicentino
Average

Post by gattovicentino »

sektor2111 wrote:This
Me personally I don't see anything bigger than 32. For other options this class has to be changed with another class using a mutator else nothing will happen.
Hmmm ok, I see...
I had read this post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2377 , where people talk about "addbots 50" or "UT can usually handle up to 255 bots before crashing", so I thought it was possible and easier.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

It comes down to 32. You can add more bots, a small mutator can easily be made, and I am very surprised if it hasn't been made already?

But the thing is, that the scoring system is all made up on 32, the data of each bot needs to be replicated and handled by the games replication system, displayed on HUD and ScoreBoard and much more.

So, in order to play games with more than 32 players (or bots) in total need lots of customization.

Having that said, we once back in the days in clan [DANISH] tried to get 100 real players on one of our gameservers at once, well knowing about these issues. We managed 60+ players before the server became unstable, ofcause scoring was messed up, but we could play. the server never crashed, it lagged and became unstable, but it ran the game haha. We couldn't gather more than 65 players at one time, so we don't know what the server linit is. We also didnøt think of adding additional bots to test it further......

just rambling i know .... but just to say it's doable.
Retired.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If you screw class defined in Deathmatchplus with a mutator you might gain a bigger array, but I doubt about what soup is being done there. If you have some XBots mutator loaded in server, as admin you can summon Bots until Scoreboard goes over boundaries and then... who know what happens - I crashed server at a moment. At this moment I have Bots loaded for On-Line play but... more than 5 start to be annoying, always keeping their ass in front of your RocketLauncher and making you to fail target... and dying. That is one of the moments when I start swearing them...
For me even number 32 is useless.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

You can add-on with Ferbotz.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3805

Even though it can be you, vs UT bots and Ferbotz.

I did keep messing around with the UT bots by adding more ut bots, they eventually end up naming as Player 56, or something as of the like.

Btw, need more spawn point FYI!!!! :loool:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Chamberly wrote:Btw, need more spawn point FYI!!!! :loool:
Ferbotz are using XC_Engine
At using XC_Engine some options are open: Bypassing default 16 deal with Playerstarts - if map is not way retarded...
SomeServerLog wrote: SpawnFixer: XC_SpawnFixer0 in state SpawnTesting is testing PlayerStart actors.
SpawnFixer: PlayerStart9 seems useless being into void, taking action...
SpawnFixer: XC_SpawnFixer0 in state SpawnTesting is testing PlayerStart actors.
SpawnFixer: PlayerStart62 seems useless being into void, taking action...
SpawnFixer: XC_SpawnFixer0 in state SpawnTesting is testing PlayerStart actors.
SpawnFixer: Probing spawn on PlayerStart0 failed, taking action...
SpawnFixer: Probing spawn on PlayerStart2 failed, taking action...
SpawnFixer: Probing spawn on PlayerStart3 failed, taking action...
SpawnFixer: Probing spawn on PlayerStart8 failed, taking action...
gattovicentino
Average

Post by gattovicentino »

thanks for the technical explanation. I'll try something about it, otherwise I'll settle for the 32 bots :)
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Ummm... maybe it will be a good idea for a mutator able to setup some... bigger array. I see here more than 5 people asking/speaking about more Bots... lists, things, etc. Probably before to crash, 256 Bots should be... enough. Big maps won't have hopes with DevPath, then, 1000 morons wandering it's not what I call game, neither telefragging constantly themselves...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Borrowed from another thread:
EvilGrins wrote:
Zanna wrote:I want to pick four bots of my choice from list one. I should be disable everybody and then pick the ones I want in the list and enable them, right? Then go in practice, add mutator xBots, select 4 bots and start. Well it doesn't work at all.
Okay, you caught onto the "enable bots" part. That's good.

However you need to make sure whichever list you've selected your bots to be on is selected:
Xbots comes with 6 lists, so you need to un-select the lists you don't want too.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This is a really interesting discussion. I always thought the 32 person array limit was coded into the engine and couldn't be bypassed. It seems to me that north of 30 playerpawns on any server would just kill itself trying to replicate all that player info. Even 40 bots seems like it would lag trying to keep the player informed of all those positional changes being made. Interesting stuff...
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I wrote a small tool yesterday but I have to do a few changes. I got 50 Bots attacking in Map MH-MeltTownV6_...unr in first testing stage, loading locally a tiny mutator.
The problem was naming. I set Names but because was used an array with the same name as ChallengeBotInfo some variables were taken from there and resulting Bot32 Bot33 Bot34. I have to do changes using a new array and spending time for writing... Bots...
gattovicentino
Average

Post by gattovicentino »

sektor2111 wrote:I wrote a small tool yesterday but I have to do a few changes. I got 50 Bots attacking in Map MH-MeltTownV6_...unr in first testing stage, loading locally a tiny mutator.
The problem was naming. I set Names but because was used an array with the same name as ChallengeBotInfo some variables were taken from there and resulting Bot32 Bot33 Bot34. I have to do changes using a new array and spending time for writing... Bots...
It sounds interesting. If this mutator works, can it theoretically work together with xbots/xbots9b ? (It would be cool if for example it could manage more than 32 bots using multiple lists from xbots/xbots9b).