Unreal Tournament 469

Discussions about UT99
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Unreal Tournament 469

Post by Buggie »

Another wish from team which have access to source code of game: make full list of supported command line parameters.
Because nobody know full list. And this commands not stored in one place.
For example:
"-nodsound", "-no3dsound" exists only in Galaxy.dll
"MULTIHOME=" exists only in IpDrv.dll
"EXEC=" and "-exec" exists only in UnrealTournament.exe
"consolecommand=" and "testrendev=" not described anywhere at all.
And so on.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I just think it wasn't ever implemented to use Enter as an automatic 'Find' button.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Usual shortcuts will be helpful at all.
Ctrl+F - bring search window.
F3 - search next.
Shift+F3 - search previous.
And so on.
It is easy things but really helpful.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Buggie wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:22 pmUsual shortcuts will be helpful at all.
^This!
Don't forget TAB and SHIFT+TAB, STRG+F4.
Opening a map with UnrealEd should also be possible via command line parameter, like "UnrealEd.exe D:\UT\Maps\MyMap.unr".

And please expand the max path length, if possible.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Also need fix open huge scripts inside UnrealEd, like Botpack.Bot.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

What is exactly the problem with the Botpack.bot?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

----------- [ 1 ] -------------

You can not open Botpack.Bot in script editor inside UnrealEd 2.0. If you double click it in Actor Browser then focus going to Script Browser but Bot script not open here.

You can open it on fresh start UnrealEd. But if you try open some scripts before that, then you can not open.
For reproduce issue just start UnrealEd and try open from last to first all child of Pawn. Class Bot will be last and it is not open.

Minimal steps for me:
1. Start UnrealEd.
2. Open Botpack.Bots
3. Open Botpack.Bot

Expected result:
In script editor open Bots and Bot.

Get result:
In script editor open only Bots. Bot is missing.

No any log messages appear.

----------- [ 2 ] -------------

Another problem (maybe it fixed already - IDK) - align textures.

See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14009

It is really insane.

Such simple thing as slide door must be created with very short actions and easy steps. Something like:
1. Add mover.
2. Set textures.
3. Add triggers, sounds, etc.
4. Connect all thing together.
5. Going to next task.

Currently it is totaly insane when you try align textures. It must be done in one click, but you need do it manually with low accuracy.
Or make some magic actions like rotate mover for make it parallel to floor, align as floor, rotate back.

I'm generally surprised how people do something at all in UnrealEd. After that half a day you drove with one banal door, then your hands just drop.
The editor should be an assistant, not an enemy to fight with.

----------- [ 3 ] -------------

Generally speaking, it is desirable that the editor duplicates the input from the viewport and the drag and drop on the panel.

For example, how it is done in Photoshop.

You start dragging an object, a panel appears with the main parameters and the apply button. You can not engage in masochism with dragging and dropping an object, but simply enter the desired numbers and click apply.

For example, a turn.

It is very convenient.

In UnrealEd you have to guess for yourself, whether it turned out or not. There will be no numbers. You cannot enter them either.

----------- [ 4 ] -------------

Another point is that many actions are available only on the context menu in the viewport.

I would like to duplicate them through the menu and hot keys.

For example, you have selected brush. If you are successful (I emphasize "successfully"), right-click next to its lines - there will be a context menu.

If you missed (or the editor decided that you wanted to click on something else), then the behavior may be different, but definitely not what you expected.

For example, add a texture to the selection and call the context menu for textures ...

Or add another mover / brush to the selection and call the context menu for brushes ...

Or choose vertex and do nothing else ...

Or something else...

And you have to do pixel hunting, fighting with the editor, instead of working in it.

----------- [ 5 ] -------------

I don’t know if there are screencasts, how someone creates a map in UnrealEd of normal quality (at least part of such a map), but if they are, they can be an excellent source for a system analyst to understand what’s wrong with the editor now and what needs to be fixed.

Even if there are no such screencasts, you can ask to record one of the more or less strong map makers for later analysis.

Show them some typical places.

Even if the author does not have an analytical mindset, such a video can be a good source of ideas for those who have it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:32 am
Minimal steps for me:
1. Start UnrealEd.
2. Open Botpack.Bots
3. Open Botpack.Bot

Expected result:
In script editor open Bots and Bot.

Get result:
In script editor open only Bots. Bot is missing.
Works OK for me if you open Bot first and then Bots (but you're right it doesn't work the other way around) - the Bot Script is much lower down the window. Given the length of those scripts there isn't much point in opening more than one in the Script Window as one needs to scroll down a looong way to find the other.
UEd.jpg
If you want to look in detail at these scripts, isn't it better to export them as .uc and read them in a text editor at your leisure?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote:Given the length of those scripts there isn't much point in opening more than one in the Script Window as one needs to scroll down a looong way to find the other.
Scripts of different classes are not shown below in one window - if you double click on another class, only the code of that class is shown in the code window. (BTW: I seldom use the mouse for scrolling, I prefer PgDn and Ctrl+End.)
OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:15 pmIf you want to look in detail at these scripts, isn't it better to export them as .uc and read them in a text editor at your leisure?
That's not the point, the problem is that the code editor does not show classes with similar or equal names. It must have to do with the names of the scripts; I encountered this behaviour with some other scripts than bot/bots, too.
Or take for example the TriggerLight: you cannot open the code windows for classes that have the same name.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm Scripts of different classes are not shown below in one window - if you double click on another class, only the code of that class is shown in the code window.)
In my screenshot above the scripts of Bot and Bots were in that window - I did scroll right down to check that that was the case. However I didn't double click on the classes but used the OpenScript button - perhaps that has something to do with it.
Barbie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm ... the problem is that the code editor does not show classes with similar or equal names. It must have to do with the names of the scripts; I encountered this behaviour with some other scripts than bot/bots, too.
That is very true - I've come across that quite often. The Editor won't open a different package containing a class with the same name as a class already open. I find it more useful to open a .u file in UTPT first and only open it in UEd if I have a particular reason to do so.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:15 pm Works OK for me if you open Bot first and then Bots (but you're right it doesn't work the other way around) - the Bot Script is much lower down the window. Given the length of those scripts there isn't much point in opening more than one in the Script Window as one needs to scroll down a looong way to find the other.
Exists search, drag scrollbar with mouse, PageUp/PageDown and so on.

But all this does not matter because it is a issue. issue which need to fix.

This reminds me of a story with Intel, which did not want to exchange processors that had an error in calculating fractional numbers in the last digits. Because "no one needs to be considered with such accuracy, but who needs it, let them prove and we will exchange the processor."

As a result, the processors were exchanged for everyone, under pressure from the public.
OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:15 pm If you want to look in detail at these scripts, isn't it better to export them as .uc and read them in a text editor at your leisure?
Oh yeah.

"If you want to look in detail at these scripts - export them."

"If you want to align texture on slide door movers - rotate them to floor, align and rotate back."

This is the road to nowhere.

What else needs to be done illogical to get the editor to do what is needed?

Dial Konami code every time, when will it be necessary to drag the brush?

These are all bugs that need to be fixed. And this is a topic dedicated to bugs, not workarounds to circumvent these bugs.
OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:28 pm In my screenshot above the scripts of Bot and Bots were in that window
You have violated the playback order of the bug, and, surprise-surprise, there is no bug! What a surprise.

Actually, I wrote about this earlier:
Buggie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:32 am You can open it on fresh start UnrealEd.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Um I'm pretty sure it seem to be taken care of from older build of v469 when Higor mentioned it. Here is a ss to compare if you think it suits your solution.

https://i.gyazo.com/cac02c0f31bb4ee0082 ... ebffb5.jpg
https://i.gyazo.com/1012c7b8390f571c99e ... d78077.jpg

In the meantime if you are interested to give bug feedback and tryout v469 and report bugs, sign up on the old unreal forum and do the report there. Anthrax cannot check everywhere except there for the most part.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Chamberly wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:01 pm if you are interested to give bug feedback and tryout v469 and report bugs, sign up on the old unreal forum and do the report there. Anthrax cannot check everywhere except there for the most part.
Yes, I was just thinking about it. I will do so.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Another bug: If you spectate long time enough with behindview 0, screen view rotate and floor not horizontal.
Look like somewhere Roll is not zero.
scr_1594331844.png
--------------
If you use alt fire too long on pulse gun, then light bolt disappear.
--------------
In UnrealEd you can add new script but not able delete exists. Maybe it intended "feature" for prevent break something, but if you accidentally add script to wrong package and save it, it is irreversible action.
Even if you not save it - way for fix this close editor and lost all unsaved work. It is not always can be used.
IDk need this feature or not. Safe or not. Just notice.
------------
If you spectate player with behindview 0, and mesh have some aura like shieldbelt or something, then this aura wiil be visible.
-----------
If you exit from UnrealEd without save script no any warning. You just lost all your works.
Same if you compiled source, but not save package.
Same if you have some problems with replace actual package file with move temp file. For example if UT running in background and use this package.
It is silent write to log. You close UnrealEd and simply lost all your work.

What can be done:
1. Save intermediate results in temp folder. So if editor crash/exit/fail to replace files - you can find last save files here. It can be done at save/compile action.
2. Notify user when exit with unsaved content, like scripts, maps.
3. Notify user if some important action (like save) failed.
----------
Fixed an issue where bots considered human players invisible even after their invisibility pickup had expired.
I'm not sure there seems to be a bot bug with relics. Perhaps they can carry (or have an effect) several relics at once.
---------
Added crosshair scaling to the standard HUD. You can configure the crosshair scaling settings in the menu. NOTE: A lot of mods will likely ignore the crosshair scaling. Mod authors should update their mods so they call the regular ChallengeHUD.DrawCrosshair function.
Will be good if add option about draw crosshair not transparent. Also add black outline for each crosshair for prevent loss them on same color surfaces.
--------
Added clipboard paste support to the quick console.
Will be good if add support for select and copy to clipboard from console window.
--------
Need normal font for log window at Windows. Because current font is pain for eyes:
scr_1594467169.png
scr_1594467169.png (2.86 KiB) Viewed 612 times
--------
Canvas.DrawPortal not work if X < 0 or Y < 0.
--------
Canvas.DrawPortal often draw weapon flashes and other effects without offset. Like X = 0 and Y = 0, when its is not true.
--------
If I play MH locally before enter to Barbie server, all glitches:
1. Name is Player.
2. Can not be spectator.
3. Voice pack is different.
Look like user.ini not used.
Instead of that used something other or nothing at all.

Reason: Oldscool Apm'd mod issue.
--------
Spectators messages truncated at 64 chars.
--------
If you open editactor window and try drag scrollbar with mouse - game completely paused like lag, until you not release drag scrollbar.
Last edited by Buggie on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Barbie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm Scripts of different classes are not shown below in one window - if you double click on another class, only the code of that class is shown in the code window.
v469 fix this.
scr_1594539430.png