Unreal series mod/map release history

Discussions about UT99
Shrimp
Adept

Unreal series mod/map release history

Post by Shrimp »

I thought this would be an interesting thing to try out, so I generated a count over time, per game, of all content in the Unreal Archive.

This chart shows all releases in the Unreal Archive by estimated release date. Estimated because it's based on file timestamps within the zip/archives of the content since most of it doesn't have an easily findable original release date obviously. So repacks and things will appear later, and people who packaged things with incorrect times will appear earlier (you can see UT2004 releases back in 1998 for example :ironic:).

Anyway, thought it was interesting to see the cadence of each game's rise and fall. Only UT's content creation has continued reasonably well throughout the years. :rock:
Screenshot_2019-10-21 UTContentOverTime ods - Files - Nextcloud(3).png
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
darksonny
Adept

Re: Unreal series mod/map release history

Post by darksonny »

hello
Will you add a search box to locate stuff over all your site? It would be cool if were there this option
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Interesting chart shrimp indeed!
People stick with what 'works' for them! :)
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Post by rizbef »

What caused that huge spike around 2006-2007?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

rizbef wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 am What caused that huge spike around 2006-2007?
DU or another has created its data base?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

rizbef wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 am What caused that huge spike around 2006-2007?
It's impossible to tell. Probably someone re-packaged a whole bunch of existing maps/skins/content at that time.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

nice chart although a bit hard to read ....
is there any green anywhere, lol?

That big ut99 spike around 2007-08 was likely due to Blito3 contests and various map packs.
these events always caused and uptick in mapping interest, even if short-lived...

Curious, a plot of server activity over time would make an interesting compare...
don't know where you'd get data for that - would the trend be similar?
or is mapping/modding an unrelated activity...

Nice chart :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I prefer pie charts... mainly as I love pie.
:loool:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

FraGnBraG wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 pm is there any green anywhere, lol?
I had to zoom in very close. :mrgreen:
Unreal2.png
Unreal2.png (309.6 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Ok ...now that's interesting. Unreal 2 was their first grandiouse major flop.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Well Championship was a disaster too but U2 was definitely their first flop and remains the worst one, I believe. I don't think any of their other games was as catastrophic as U2.

Now from a purely modding point of view, what did Unreal 2 bring to the table? It had no multiplayer support and its engine was a rougher, less polished and largely unfinished version of Unreal Engine 2, released one year after UT2003 which had a more complete (and soon well documented) engine, less prone to crashes. It also required the game disk to be inside a drive to launch the game (do you remember this was a thing? I know right!) which is a major pain when doing repeated tests. Its model and particle systems were extremely specific and remain largely undocumented to this day while UT2003 shared its systems with most games using the same engine. There was pretty much no reason to use U2 for anything but a solo campaign in the style of U2 and though I've seen a few projects back in the day, not many actually reached completion.
You must construct additional pylons.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Hellkeeper wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:50 pm... Championship was a disaster too but U2 was definitely their first flop ...
fully agree with this - however, wasn't Championship2 a much better game? I seem to remember that was very egyptian-ish, decent level design and melee
combat - is that the one? I think Swanky was a fan of #2 (he was discussing that at some point, iirc, and took some inspiration for a later mapping project.
Altho I can't remember which one :) Too bad C2 was not available for PC...
I recall U2 had the "bones" of a vehicle for modders, something like the buggy from HALO. I think someone at UP made a U2 map to demo it... can't remember who tho ...

can you produce a line chart?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

FraGnBraG wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:57 amfully agree with this - however, wasn't Championship2 a much better game? I seem to remember that was very egyptian-ish, decent level design and melee
combat - is that the one? I think Swanky was a fan of #2 (he was discussing that at some point, iirc, and took some inspiration for a later mapping project.
Altho I can't remember which one :) Too bad C2 was not available for PC...
I recall U2 had the "bones" of a vehicle for modders, something like the buggy from HALO. I think someone at UP made a U2 map to demo it... can't remember who tho ..
There seems to be a consensus that UC2 was a great game. Being a fan of the egyptech style of UT2003/4, I always found it very appealing and from what I've seen, it looked like a really cool and unique game, both as an innovative member of the Unreal series and by itself. I would have loved it if it had been available for PC.

As for vehicles in U2, I don't know if anything was included in the original game but UXMP, its standalone multiplayer pack, released later and dead on arrival, had them. I'm no expert but I believe it was noticeably different from UT2004's vehicles as it relied on heavy scripts for vehicle movements and animation whereas UT2 took a different approach, both easier and less resource intensive.
You must construct additional pylons.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

FraGnBraG wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:57 am can you produce a line chart?
Screenshot_2019-10-24 UTContentOverTime ods - Files - Nextcloud.png
ShrimpWorks