Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

The Undefeated Maps!

Post by EvilGrins »

This one stumps me:
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... astle-2012

I can clear most of the first open area & castles, with a couple bots backing me, but after that I've got no clue where to go next.

Question:
Be it due to intricate puzzles, too many things to kill, or just getting plain lost... which MonsterHunt maps have you never been able to beat without help from other players?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: The Undefeated Maps!

Post by Chamberly »

Did you go into the skaarj sniper tower and clear it out, hit the buttons in it? This one is like nearby the houses with Titans. Me and Hig already ran through that map as a testing process for Ferbotz!
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Chamberly wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:21 pm Did you go into the skaarj sniper tower and clear it out, hit the buttons in it? This one is like nearby the houses with Titans. Me and Hig already ran through that map as a testing process for Ferbotz!
2 years later and I finally noticed your comment... and I didn't even see a sniper tower.
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

The most complicated part of that map is the labyrinth underground...
Another complicated part is to find the right way to go - many entrances and triggers are very well hidden, it is very difficult (for the first time) to find them and the way towards them out. The map is huge and has no any hints/arrows that would point out where to go... Entrance to End is also located in a quite unexpected place...
It is good map for players that like long quests and puzzles.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

You need Translator: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14488
For read all TranslatorEvents and follow guides on it.
With this it must be relative easy for pass the map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I don't know how much use this is but it's a walkthrough of the complete Tower/Castle map
Skaarj Tower - Shadow and Fire Walkthrough.pdf
(5.34 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

What if is say that a MH map doesn't need any Translator but making map as it should be for MonsterHunt - ported properly and not only for having new UNR files ?
Let me see: Translator Sound can be implemented in local spot with a few things: Trigger (that is toggled off temporary), a dispatcher and a few other SpecialEvents. Trigger will initialize Dispatcher which will deactivate said trigger until all events are performed. Each Event shows a message for a while, then initial trigger is activated again if player or another player want hints. You can tell 3 - 4 or more sentences this way. Sample MH-Sk_ThoseSeasons (if I well recall title) which I did as a demo-map concerning other things.
If mappers are not aware about triggering capabilities from UT and UE1 that's another story :? .
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:41 pm What if is say that a MH map doesn't need any Translator but making map as it should be for MonsterHunt - ported properly and not only for having new UNR files ?
Let me see: Translator Sound can be implemented in local spot with a few things: Trigger (that is toggled off temporary), a dispatcher and a few other SpecialEvents. Trigger will initialize Dispatcher which will deactivate said trigger until all events are performed. Each Event shows a message for a while, then initial trigger is activated again if player or another player want hints. You can tell 3 - 4 or more sentences this way ...
That's one way of doing it and I think I have seen something like that in some maps. The disadvantage is that messages can be shown at 'inconvenient' times for players, such as when they are under attack, so a user-activated translator is probably preferrable (which is the way it is done in SP maps normally)? Even better, of course, would be having the messages 'spoken' so the player isn't distracted by text on the screen.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Which MH map is undefeated?
Garden of Death ...at half of the way I give alwas up out of boredom.
Every time starting at the beginning of the map after some monster killed the player ...walking for 10 minutes just to start again and again and again...
And don't tell me I could use some devices like the excessive Translocator or the RTC from NW3 ... The map is just bad.

Same goes for every map which has no progressing playerstarts.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:39 pmWhich MH map is undefeated?
The one at the link up there, and to me is what I meant. I know others have beaten it.
papercoffee wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:39 pmGarden of Death ...at half of the way I give alwas up out of boredom.
As I recall your gripe there was 1st you got tired of walking such long distances (which can be avoided by not being killed) and then because you thought you could beat it with =Food Fight= after I said it wasn't designed for MH.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:32 pm As I recall your gripe there was 1st you got tired of walking such long distances (which can be avoided by not being killed) and then because you thought you could beat it with =Food Fight= after I said it wasn't designed for MH.
I actually went very far in this map with the MH version of FF ...but as I said ...it became boring as hell.
If there would be some further set up player-starts which get activated by progression. then this map would be played by me (at least I would finish it once).
EvilGrins wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:32 pm
papercoffee wrote: Which MH map is undefeated?
The one at the link up there, and to me is what I meant. I know others have beaten it.
This was just a recap of your question to emphasise how bad G.o.D is
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:49 pmThis was just a recap of your question to emphasise how bad G.o.D is
It's a wonderful map, you're just terrible at it.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Let's just agree that our expectations about fun differ a lot.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:00 pmLet's just agree that our expectations about fun differ a lot.
Hey, we should all get exercise where we can... and it's not really a map that should ever be played alone. Bring backup!

On some versions more than others · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/tag/gardenofdeath
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 pm
papercoffee wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:49 pmThis was just a recap of your question to emphasise how bad G.o.D is
It's a wonderful map ...
Yeah, it's OK - nice but eventually monotonous architectural design - there's a lot of edits (thanks, EG) so there's a wide variety of opponents in the different versions. Played with a health regen and reasonably powerful weapons, especially a good sniper rifle for taking out monster long before you reach them, and JackGriffin's MHMapAdjuster (to limit the number of monsters that spawn to a reasonable level), it can be beaten by one Player with a good degree of fun - in my view, anyway.

Undefeated maps for me are the 'go to a room and kill 1000 pupae then go to another room and kill 1000 flies then go to another room and kill 1000 ... and so on, and so on' type of maps - now I find those really boring and pointless, particularly when the design and layout are poor; OR those maps with monsters with insane health (again boring and pointless - who wants to spend 10 - 20 minutes trying to kill one monster? I don't!) though if the design and layout are OK then I might reduce the health to reasonable levels (here again JackGriffin's mutator comes in handy).

Drew's Skaarj Tower maps are best played as SP maps as then one can save progress rather than having to complete them all in one go.