ut99 and slowdowns during playing

Discussions about UT99
astuto
Novice

Re: ut99 and slowdowns during playing

Post by astuto »

I tried to put ut folder in another disk (traditional) but no difference during the game.
Then I tried boot the pc with xp and no problems at all...
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

It is important to make sure if option #1 gives no result either, that would mean this problem definitely is not TSC/Clock-speed related. Better to use any normal 'cpukiller' tool, since WinRAR benchmark is quite bad in this...

This issue must not happen if TSC increment is stable and framerate is locked at 60Hz with VSync. Wonder what else could affect game speed in this case...
Also, try XC_Launch.exe of XC_Engine (with libraries it uses) instead of normal executable.

---
Something for info: https://mega.nz/#!VdZFyCoS!MEDQwiY-wn0L ... lQ3DyapxjU
astuto
Novice

Post by astuto »

yesterday I tried to do another thing: I did disable c1e from bios and I think it was eist feature, but I found another setting in bios named speedstep, and disabling it the game seems to run normally. Now, I wonder why, speedstep (eist) should have to run slower the cpu during its low usage, so, why eist should reduce speed clock when cpu is under pressure playing a game?
Maybe it don't work as it should?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

I have the same problem with my AMD APU which has very aggressive frequency throttling. I use this game launcher to get around the problem, it seems to basically peg whichever core the game is running on at 100%, which gives smooth gameplay, but a hot chip.

Oh, I believe it also creates its own UnrealTournament.ini file, and occasionally causes problems with downloads from servers which requires multiple reconnect attempts to overcome. Not quite sure what the reason is for this.

Again, build 469 should consign this problem to history when it's released.
astuto wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:58 pm Now, I wonder why, speedstep (eist) should have to run slower the cpu during its low usage, so, why eist should reduce speed clock when cpu is under pressure playing a game?
Maybe it don't work as it should?
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

astuto wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:58 pm Now, I wonder why, speedstep (eist) should have to run slower the cpu during its low usage, so, why eist should reduce speed clock when cpu is under pressure playing a game?
It is designed to work this way, it keeps CPU clock speed reduced until workload is high enough. It works as it should.

Problem is in additional energy saving mechanisms that motherboard developers have 'attached' as addition to EIST.
Apparently their idea was to imitate "Super Low Frequency Mode" that is supported by mobile CPU's and isn't supported by desktop CPU's.
The only way to do that was through dynamically adjusting external FSB clock speed, that of course annuls effect of invariant TSC feature these CPU's have since TSC is synchronized to FSB clock.
And another downside of that is increased P-States transition intervals. By Intel specification these intervals must be in a range of 10 microseconds, but in these motherboards transition intervals we observe are up to 10-15 milliseconds with EIST enabled that is 1000 times higher than it should be - this is unacceptable in some cases and has no any sense for desktop PC to save more power by such a 'cost'.

Usually those additional energy saving modes get automatically activated when EIST (and also C-States for some motherboard models) is enabled in BIOS setup, and there is no simple way to disable them leaving EIST enabled.
This might be done by setting bit #16 of 1A0h MSR register or by using any tool that does it automatically, this enables EIST (it must be disabled in BIOS setup) and problem with TSC does not occur then, but this works not always...
astuto
Novice

Post by astuto »

could you tell me what tool can do it? I'd like to try...
Just if there aren't risks for windows stability...