ut99 and slowdowns during playing

Discussions about UT99
astuto
Novice

ut99 and slowdowns during playing

Post by astuto »

hello there,
I recentely installed on one of my older pc windows7 and ut99 goty, during playing sometimes I saw sort of strange slowdowns of game speed, or better, game runs in "slow motion" for some seconds, without apparently reason.
In the same pc (so, same hardware) and windows xp the game ran without any problems.
I tried to change drivers with more recent (under xp I used opengl, and under 7 I tried d3d too) but this didn't help.

Any suggest will be appreciate :)

Asus p5k, intel e6550, geforce gt 9800
Hitman
Adept

Re: ut99 and slowdowns during playing

Post by Hitman »

Try to set the compatibility on the start-exe to win-xp with service-pack 2, all so check so its only running on 1 core.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Disable windows indexing/search and disable superfetch in windows services
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

There are a couple of links you can explore that might offer a solution. If any of these suggestions do the job, keep an eye on the UT 469 thread, because the new release of the game will have a lot of this stuff baked in and will probably allow you to play without issues out-of-the box. But in the meantime:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12927
https://bunnytrack.net/tips
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

hi,
check your ut99 log and see the value for CPU clock recognized by game. maybe you need to fix a problem about CPU frequency.
if so, check this: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5624

greets,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

astuto wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:00 pm windows7 ... strange slowdowns of game speed ... game runs in "slow motion" for some seconds ... In the same pc (so, same hardware) and windows xp the game ran without any problems ... Asus p5k, intel e6550
Any of these options should fix this problem:
1. When the game is running, also run any dummy background process (e.g., WinRAR benchmark) that would load CPU at 100% (also, set Idle priority for that background process).
2. Disable Intel EIST option in motherboard's BIOS settings (make sure C-states options C1/C1E/C2 are enabled if power consumption does matter - normally this should not cause issues, but not always...).
3. Use XC_Engine with new timing method (TimingFix) enabled.

* Option #2 is recommended since it also fixes else problems caused by EIST in some cases - significantly increased DPC latency (up to 10-50 times), improper functioning of some devices and drivers, sound distortions/'clicks', video 'stuttering' effects, etc..
astuto
Novice

Post by astuto »

thanks everybody for advices, I wish to know something else that could change the point of view of the problem.
I tried to play with "timedemo statistics" active, and seems that during those "slowdowns" the fps mantains the same value (they are blocked around 60).
I did expect that during slowdowns this fps value should have to decrease considerably...

any idea about this?

thanks all
astuto
Novice

Post by astuto »

Eternity wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:19 am
astuto wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:00 pm windows7 ... strange slowdowns of game speed ... game runs in "slow motion" for some seconds ... In the same pc (so, same hardware) and windows xp the game ran without any problems ... Asus p5k, intel e6550
Any of these options should fix this problem:
1. When the game is running, also run any dummy background process (e.g., WinRAR benchmark) that would load CPU at 100% (also, set Idle priority for that background process).
2. Disable Intel EIST option in motherboard's BIOS settings (make sure C-states options C1/C1E/C2 are enabled if power consumption does matter - normally this should not cause issues, but not always...).
3. Use XC_Engine with new timing method (TimingFix) enabled.

* Option #2 is recommended since it also fixes else problems caused by EIST in some cases - significantly increased DPC latency (up to 10-50 times), improper functioning of some devices and drivers, sound distortions/'clicks', video 'stuttering' effects, etc..
so, I tried to play without any other application active but no difference. Usually there is active firefox and thunderbird.
I never changed Eist option under xp, and the game ran always fine. I wish to remind you that I'm talk about two software situations (xp on traditional hd and 7 on a ssd disk) that runs on same hardware, bot disk are mounted on same pc and I start alternately one or another s.o. Or maybe win7 has a different management of Eist?
On xp firefox and outlook was always active during game.
I did hope that with new s.o. and above all with ssd disk the situation should get better...

thanks, regards
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

astuto wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:30 am I tried to play with "timedemo statistics" active, and seems that during those "slowdowns" the fps mantains the same value (they are blocked around 60).
I did expect that during slowdowns this fps value should have to decrease considerably...
This happens because unlike C-states EIST slows down CPU clock speed together with the TSC counter increment rate.
Game speed, being synchronized with the TSC counter, is also reduced in the moments of CPU clock speed slow downs.
But the renderer uses another synchronization method (in this case - VSync) that is not based on TSC...

Isn't "timedemo statistics" showing a bit higher FPS values in the moments of slowdowns? (we assume screen refresh rate is 60Hz, and VSync is enabled).
Last edited by Eternity on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

astuto wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:47 amI never changed Eist option under xp, and the game ran always fine ... Or maybe win7 has a different management of Eist?
In Windows XP EIST is disabled by default for Desktop PC, it might be enabled by setting a "Portable/Laptop" or "Max Battery" power schemes, but not always (in many cases it remains inactive regardless the power scheme selected).
In Windows 7 it is enabled by default and is working, almost always...
astuto
Novice

Post by astuto »

but Eist should have to slow down power consumption when the pc is in a sort of "stand by" or what else?
I mean, doesn't Eist consider that in that moment UT needs of both core power?

I'll try to unable eist, just wish to know how it works...

thanks
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Drink less caffeine and when the game is slow you will perceive it as fast!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
astuto
Novice

Post by astuto »

so, I tried to disable eist, but nothing changed, there are still slowdowns...
Just a question, how do many among you still play ut99 on win7? Never had this issue?
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Did you disable the services i suggested?
astuto
Novice

Post by astuto »

yes, I disabled windows indexing/search (on the ssd disk) and disable superfetch in windows registry putting dword to 0 (of superfetch, prefetch and boottrace), I didnt find the services...