Help! my ut99 is very sick :(

Discussions about UT99
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Help! my ut99 is very sick :(

Post by FraGnBraG »

so i had some time for ut today and downloaded / installed this 20ac mappack.

i was going to post my opinions regarding the new maps but after a while my ut99 became competely trashed. it is now broken.

starting with opengl, something (i think it was healing pyramid) just crashed the map selector popup. switched to d3d9 and things worked for a while.

I looked at some of the maps in the ued2, but they will not run. the map loads and then from spawn pov the map is just spinning like time tunnel, there is no way to stop it except
escape and bail out. Now, in fact, when i load ut99 (the app, not the editor) and after escaping the loading screen the mouse is stuck to the left of the screen (at the pull down menu) and is not responsive.
I can only use alt-keys to navigate can close the exe.

Going back into the editor, and loading other maps (not 20ac map-pack maps) same thing. spinning runtime.

Never saw this before - I suspect something in that map-pack has somehow messed up my ut installation.

obviously, i tried reboots, and copied all the system exes from another install to no avail. the problem is still there.

anyone else have issues? any ideas?

i'm dead in the water as far as ut99 is concerned, which is too bad. I have a map here needs finishing and will now
likely not get done...

Any suggestions are welcome.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Help! my ut99 is very sick :(

Post by papercoffee »

oh no... any clue in the log files?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

In the worst case scenario you could move your UnrealTournament.ini and User.ini files out of the System folder, let UT recreate default copies, and then go through the pain-staking process of restoring your customisations using a "diff" application like WinMerge. But I hope it won't come to that.

The problem you encountered with your cursor being trapped along the left side of the screen is actually something I experienced very recently. It was caused by a large discrepancy between the values for "WindowedViewportX" and "WindowedViewportY" versus "FullscreenViewportX" and "FullscreenViewportY" (all under [WinDrv.WindowsClient] in UnrealTournament.ini).

When I copied the values for "FullscreenViewportX" and "FullscreenViewportY" to "WindowedViewportX" and "WindowedViewportY", saved the file and restarted the game, I was able to move my cursor around normally again.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

thanks guys... some things:

I checked the folders closely and discovered something scary in the system folder --> unealtournament.exe, setup.exe, ucc.exe + all driver dlls (d3d, sgl, opengl, etc.) were GONE!
Nothing in recycle bin, either. Something removed them. Just the exes and dlls, not the ini files or logs. nothing useful in logs as far as i could see.

So thinking about what could be running that might mess with files like this - anti-virus possibly - so checked Norton but couldn't find anything. it reports about all the useless cleanup it does, big deal.

So next checked Nvidea experience - I installed this mainly for the steam titles i play. In there is a list of folders where it scans for "approved/supported" games. Well my current ut folder and also ut2004
folder were in that list along with a bunch of other folders, so I removed the ut99 folder, just in case.

I then restored a complete virgin goty install from an older win7 machine, and found the latest d3d and opengl drivers in my repository and it ran without any problem.

Since I have a "restore" path sorted out now, I'll reinstall the map-pack and my project and see what happens...

I suspect it is not a map-pack problem otherwise other folks would have complained.

Something nuked my UT99!!! probably Nvidea... dunno

@Q - thanks for the link - i will snag that as a backup!

Cheers (I hope)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Any suggestions, eh?
FraGnBraG wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 amAny suggestions are welcome.
You ever seen the movie "Ol' Yeller"?!?
Anywho, it's never a bad idea to have more than 1 copy of UT on your system... so if 1 up and dies on you you've still got the other.

Also handy to do troubleshooting.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Very likely the antivirus tried to do something. I don't have any for years and never had a problem unless I was doing something stupid and not paying attention.

Hopefully things get restored as you want it to be. Will be watching.

Also, add the UT99 folder to the whitelist/safelist on the antivirus so it won't try to delete stuff.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Throw the Antivirus in the bin and let Windows Defender do its job.
Released:
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

I had something similar with a mod once on a server, UT and USER INI were completely empty xD
Backups for the win.

Yeah.. Norton has quite the systemload..