Sick of crashes, Crash to Desktop, Critical Error, General Protection Fault, Assertion failed etc Game unstable LOL wtf?

Discussions about UT99
Gonzales
Novice

Sick of crashes, Crash to Desktop, Critical Error, General Protection Fault, Assertion failed etc Game unstable LOL wtf?

Post by Gonzales »

The whole last year playing heavily UT99 daily on several CTF servers (all having various versions of ACE installed (v08h, v1.1d, v1.1f and other mutators and mods as well), playing different maps, trying different new renderers (OpenGL 3.4-3.7 / D3D9 1.1-1.3, tried D3D10 renderer as well but the game is too dark then and the renderer gets kicked on ACEv08h servers), trying to play on Virtual Machines, reinstalling gpu drivers, resetting the game's settings, no matter what I do and try, almost every day the game crashes to desktop. Crashes are random, sometimes I get like one crash per every map, sometimes I get 10 crashes in the same map, sometimes no crashes in a map, I'm sick of crashes, I'm unable to comfortably play the game, some maps crash often like BlockiestMapEver_40, this map almost always crashes on all servers, often even several times like 10 or 15 to the point the game is unplayable and I must break the game and wait to play another map, have seen some other players also crashing to desktop, especially on the above map. I know that old games can run bad on a new hardware. I was going to put over 90 crash screenshoots from last year here in this thread (the 90 crash screenshoots weren't the only crashes from the whole last year, there were far more crashes, but I started to save crashes later, just since some moment.) but unfortunatelly my 7zip archive got strangely corrupted, and only several crash screenshoots left:
crash screenshoots
Also wanted to ask if the crashes are an incompatibility between an old game and a new hardware, or it's some bug in the game or in ACE or in maps or in renderers, or hell knows where, perhaps it could be fixed in the incoming UT 469 patch or in ACE (if the bug is in ACE)? :???:
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Re: Sick of crashes, Crash to Desktop, Critical Error, General Protection Fault, Assertion failed etc Game unstable LOL

Post by RocketJedi »

Have you fresh installed UT99? I mean uninstall the program, and delete or rename unrealtournament folder from the C: drive or wherever you installed it? If so how are you installing the game over again? Using original GOTY CD? Online resource?

What servers are you playing on? Maybe they are just improperly configured or using old mods/ mutators etc. For instance I was running an unfinished DM scoreboard on our sniper server that caused me and others crashes all the time. removed it, and put in a proper scoreboard and all is good now.

BlockiestMapEver_40 never heard of this map maybe its just a bad map.

I run modern hardware and OS's and I do not crash that often.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Sick of crashes, Crash to Desktop, Critical Error, General Protection Fault, Assertion failed etc Game unstable LOL

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, given that you have tried/altered so many 'things' and the crashes have occurred over such a long period of time, the only way is to go back to basics - reinstall the game, start off with the original renderers and change to newer ones once you are sure you are no longer getting crashes. If you get crashes with a vanilla install, then look at your video card settings, etc.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

Most of these are fixed in v469. There's a few I'm not too sure about, though (like the one in ExitProperties)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

This guy is already banned.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

papercoffee wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:25 pm This guy is already banned.

Did I miss something?
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Long story short:
He accused others of cheating without proof and called UnrealGecko an asshole.