Zombies to be used in MonsterHunt

Discussions about UT99
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Zombies to be used in MonsterHunt

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:52 am I put the DC-zombies into 1 Creature Factory... but as the map is always "morning" none of them spawned out of the thing.
Anything in the log to indicate why this is the case?

There is a spawner in the DC-Pawns packages that you may need to use to spawn them.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I did a quick check with DC-Pawns3.u, a PlayerStart, a CreatureFactory and one SpawnPoint: it works as expected.
Attachments
Test_DC-Pawns3_Zombies.unr
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:28 pm I did a quick check with DC-Pawns3.u, a PlayerStart, a CreatureFactory and one SpawnPoint: it works as expected.
That's interesting - confirms that one works OK :tu:

The problem, I think, lies in the DC-Pawns.u package.

EDIT
The DC-Pawns.u zombie spawns OK - it looks like the CreatureFactory is set to spawn two at a time with a maximum capacity of 11 but I very quickly ended up with 22 in the map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Another addition to the list:-
ZSUndeadPack.u - this contains a zombie mini-blob seen here in the act of 'gobbing' out a projectile!
ZBlob.jpg
The blob doesn't actually move as the GroundSpeed is set to zero but, of course, spawned in a map that can be altered, along with other default properties - in addition to its lack of movement, another downside is that the projectiles have a very limited range . The ZSUndeadPack is linked to CorpseMania.u and so that's needed to make it work.

Already on the list:-
MUPawns.u - if the DrawScale of Abaddon is reduced from (the rather absurd) 5 to 1 then you get this
MUPawns.jpg
which, in my view anyway, is more interesting and useful! Not sure that it is a zombie though.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:01 pmZSUndeadPack.u - this contains a zombie mini-blob seen here in the act of 'gobbing' out a projectile!
Went looking for that, found these · https://utfiles.lagout.org/GameTypes/Corpsemania/
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:42 pm Went looking for that, found these · https://utfiles.lagout.org/GameTypes/Corpsemania/
Interesting - I have seen most of those before but not from that source. Of those packages only CorpseMode.u actually contains a ScriptedPawn zombie. A couple of the others are examples of 'packs' that can be made to run with the CorpseMania gametype. CorpseMode itself seems to be a variant on the CorpseMania gametype.

So add CorpseMode to the list:- one Male1 zombie, distorted - slow moving, 250 health, does throw a projectile (body parts).

Update on the ZSUndeadPack.u zombie blob: -
it seems to be coded not to move and to not attack Players - even with the code changed a bit, it doesn't really do much. So I think it is not really very useful though, placed in large numbers with other zombies, it would add to the overall 'zombie' aesthetic of a map. If you want a monster to actively attack Players then this isn't it.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

You know what? Those Quake shotgun mothafuckas must be beaten in multiple game franchises. And the tougher beam shooting variants from the registered game episodes... need their own fucking torture chamber.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:01 pmblob doesn't actually move
That actually could work out, sort of set it up as a turret-gun in specific spots.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 am ... sort of set it up as a turret-gun in specific spots.
Yes, that would work though account would need to be taken of the limited range of the projectile (it might be necessary to subclass it as the range may be due, in part, to its speed) and of the direction in which it is fired (haven't looked at this aspect so don't know what determines firing direction).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:45 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 am... sort of set it up as a turret-gun in specific spots.
Yes, that would work though account would need to be taken of the limited range of the projectile (it might be necessary to subclass it as the range may be due, in part, to its speed) and of the direction in which it is fired (haven't looked at this aspect so don't know what determines firing direction).
Took a shot at editing it last night, didn't have much luck. While I could increase the speed of the projectile I couldn't change its range, although I didn't try altering it to something else.

Other problem, this blob doesn't target well at all. It shoots in one direction and while it may change to target something else that's only if it's shot. It doesn't turn and track targets without aggression directed at it first.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:22 pm While I could increase the speed of the projectile I couldn't change its range, although I didn't try altering it to something else.
The projectile is subclassed from the UT_BioGel and it has a maximum speed of 500 and a default speed of 250 - so you could increase the speed to the maximum but I don't think it will do much to increase the range. That's why I suggested subclassing it to up the speed quite a bit though I don't know if this would increase the range much nor do I know what it might do to the way the projectile looks in flight.
EvilGrins wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:22 pm Other problem, this blob doesn't target well at all. It shoots in one direction and while it may change to target something else that's only if it's shot. It doesn't turn and track targets without aggression directed at it first.
No, so overall it isn't that useful really.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Wonder how that blob would do with a redeemer projectile?

Nah!
The mutator for the TWT_Zombies fills a map with a greenish dimmer light. How would one go about altering the colorization of the lighting on any map to be similar to that?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:57 am The mutator for the TWT_Zombies fills a map with a greenish dimmer light. How would one go about altering the colorization of the lighting on any map to be similar to that?
You could try embedding that mutator in a map (turning the zombies off if you don't want them).
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:57 am The mutator for the TWT_Zombies fills a map with a greenish dimmer light. How would one go about altering the colorization of the lighting on any map to be similar to that?
I came across this mutator - it changes the lighting in a map - I haven't used it so have no idea if it works, etc, but it may be of some use.
moodlighting.zip
(5.9 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

An addition to the list more for the sake of completeness than anything else:-
KillingGrounds - a gametype/mutator which spawns zombies in maps made for the gametype or adds zombies to other maps - the zombies (of which there are seven types) are subclassed from Botpack.MaleBotPlus and so are bots. Used outside the gametype, they don't inflict damage and so are of no particular use in MonsterHunt or MonsterSpawn. I have tried the mutator but, again, although it does spawn zombies, they do not seem to inflict any damage (nor do they seem to take damage).