Zombies to be used in MonsterHunt

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Zombies to be used in MonsterHunt

Post by EvilGrins »

Debating on trying some of these other zombie types on edits of the Dead City maps.

It's a curious thing but at the base settings the DC-pawns zombies really do seem to avoid the light. If you put them in a CreatureFactory on a well lit map they don't pop up, same if you summon them, but this is less of an issue on a darker map.

The only downside to swapping them for other zombies is most of the Dead City maps have them spawning in from existing CF's deeper in the map, at their main base... and I'm not sure other kinds of zombies can handle that. DC-pawns are scary fast, they can leave their base and attack players when the lights go down and get back to their base very quickly when the lights come back up, but other zombie types that are not so quick would change the dynamic significantly.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

If you use other zombies in the Dead City maps then they won't go back to their base when the light comes up - the DC-Pawns are coded to do that (there's a special navigation point placed in their base to which they are coded to return). The point in time at which they return to their base is governed by the time of day or night (rather than light per se) - the code has a Time Master which determines what the time is in the map. I think that the start time will be the actual (real) time based on your machine's clock and then the time in the map advances by hourly increments (an hour in the map being a given number of actual seconds), until it reaches night time (as specified in the code, can't remember what the night time hours are) and the lights in the map adjust accordingly.

Versions 2 and 3 of the DeadCIty maps have an .ini in which one can change a large number of properties of the zombies, etc. This is the one for DeadCIty2 (there's a DeadCity2b but that has no .ini)
Spoiler
[DC-Pawns2.ZombieSpawner]
MaxZombiesAtOnce=50
NumSpawnsBeforeEnd=500
NextLevelURL=
SpawnDeality=1

[DC-Pawns2.TimeMaster]
HourLenght=50

[DC-Pawns2.Zombie]
bCanDoLungeAttack=False
bGotGreenBlood=False
bHardCoreEnemy=False
BiteDamage=45
LungeDamage=80
LungeRange=800
MaxSpawnedZombies=50
OtherEnemysSeeingDis=1000
ZombieAccelRate=950
ZombieHealth=250
ZombieJumpZ=200
ZombieRunSpeed=500
ZombieSwimSpeed=1000

[DC-Pawns2.LeglessZombie]
bCanDoLungeAttack=False
bGotGreenBlood=False
bHardCoreEnemy=True
BiteDamage=30
LungeDamage=50
LungeRange=500
MaxSpawnedZombies=50
OtherEnemysSeeingDis=1000
ZombieAccelRate=400
ZombieHealth=250
ZombieJumpZ=200
ZombieRunSpeed=500
ZombieSwimSpeed=500
From that you can see that the length of an hour (in seconds) can be increased or decreased.

Given all that, using other zombies would change what happens in the map completely but that may not necessarily matter? Though if they are spawned in the underground areas of DeadCity then they possibly won't move very far from there?

I really don't think there is any relationship between the light in a map (other than in the DeadCity maps) and whether the DC-Pawns spawn or not - I've used them in MonsterSpawn in quite a few maps and never had problems with them spawning - Barbie's test map earlier in this thread also demonstrates that they can be spawned in a light map without problems.
Last edited by OjitroC on Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Hmmm...
OjitroC wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:05 amI really don't think there is any relationship between the light in a map (other than in the DeadCity maps) and whether the DC-Pawns spawn or not - I've used them in MonsterSpawn in quite a few maps and never had problems with them spawning - Barbie's test map earlier in this thread also demonstrates that they can be spawned in a light map without problems.
...I guess maybe the DC-pawns don't like me then.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:43 am ...I guess maybe the DC-pawns don't like me then.
Yeah, probably :P

Seriously though, have you had a look at the log when you've had a spawning or summoning failure?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:10 pmSeriously though, have you had a look at the log when you've had a spawning or summoning failure?
I rarely do.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:36 pm I rarely do.
Well, doing that can help in solving problems. Try summoning some DC-Pawns and see what the log says.

The thing about the DC-Pawns is that once you summon or spawn one, several more will spawn - the other thing is that they will attack and kill anything else they come across (including other scriptedpawns) so the number of monsters in a map which also has DC-Pawns will be rapidly depleted. They can really only be used by themselves.