GOG Galaxy issue

Discussions about UT99
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

GOG Galaxy issue

Post by smeerkat »

I decided to install UT99 on my Windows 10 laptop, so I purchased it for $3 on gog.com . I used the GOG Galaxy installer, so the file path was something long like C:\Program Files(x86)\GOG\Galaxy\Games\Unreal Tournament GOTY or something similar.

When I tried the Unrealed.exe I could not load any maps. I figured it had to do with the long file path, so I moved the entire folder to C:\ and that did the trick. I was able to load maps in the editor.

But now the game won't run. I suspect it's because the game exe has been altered to run through GOG Galaxy. Is there a quick fix for that? I would like to be able to play-test maps directly from the editor, if possible.

And yes, I should have downloaded and used the offline installer instead. :(
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: GOG Galaxy issue

Post by Dr.Flay »

Yeah a long filename issue, UEd won't run because there is a space in the folder name and it does not like it, but you can get round that.
Use the final UT patch and point it at the new location and the game should work again.
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

UnrealEd not loading maps is happening because there's a space in the folder name. I had that issue myself when I first downloaded the game, too. The way I fixed it was by installing it in a folder with no spaces in the name, and through that, I was able to get UnrealEd working.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Dr.Flay wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:43 pm Yeah a long filename issue, UEd won't run because there is a space in the folder name and it does not like it, but you can get round that.
Use the final UT patch and point it at the new location and the game should work again.
Which patch is that? I'm running 436 by default.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

There's a file for the graphic that makes the UnrealEd logo pop up when you run the editor, I've had issues in the past when that file gets accidentally deleted or overwritten by something else... UnrealEd won't open without it.

Have you checked to see if it's still there or altered by this GoG install?
Dr.Flay wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:43 pmYeah a long filename issue
Or that.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Just wanted to close the loop; here's how I fixed the issue.

Go to the Unreal Tournament GOTY folder, find the item called: "Launch Unreal Tournament GOTY" shortcut

Right-click on that shortcut, choose "Properties"

Change the "Target" field so that it points to the new path.

Now I can run the game from Unreal editor.