Different kind of contest (like skins)?

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Different kind of contest (like skins)?

Post by EvilGrins »

This forum has a lot of mapping contests, but there's so much more to this game than just making maps.

So I wanted to maybe try a contest that's a little different but still fundamental to the game...

...how many of you know how to skin?
Last edited by UnrealGGecko on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: QUICK QUESTION!

Post by papercoffee »

A Skinning contest?

Interesting.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:22 amA Skinning contest?
Would need a theme and parameters.

I'm primarily thinking the normal models that came with the game: Nali, Male Soldier, Male Commando, Warcow, Skaarj Hybrids, Female Soldier, Female Commando, & Boss.

But I don't know how many active skinners we have. Hence this post, just to get a feel for who might take part.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Never skinned anything but would give it a try.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Hope its alright if I renamed the thread (we have so many "quick question" named threads its ridiculous).

Anyways, I'm absolutely terrible with skinning or anything graphics related, but I definetly would like to see a contest that isnt a mapping one :)
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:08 amHope its alright if I renamed the thread
It's okay.

Still kicking ideas, ideally I'm checking for interest now and capability. I'd like 10 or more but if we had only 5 skinners that would work too.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Different kind of contest?

Post by papercoffee »

You should maybe ask in other communities as well.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:08 am Hope its alright if I renamed the thread (we have so many "quick question" named threads its ridiculous).
You could have add as well a little bit more info ... like "Skins" or something else :mrgreen:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

papercoffee wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:01 pm You should maybe ask in other communities as well.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:08 am Hope its alright if I renamed the thread (we have so many "quick question" named threads its ridiculous).
You could have add as well a little bit more info ... like "Skins" or something else :mrgreen:
Nitpicker... :pfff:
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Re: Different kind of contest (like skins)?

Post by fudgonaut »

While maps are the bread & butter of UT, I like the idea of a non-mapping contest (or at least a contest that is not exclusively maps). I agree that a skinning contest should be limited to offical models (incl. Nali Cow, Warboss, Xan II).

I might be able to carve out some time to do a skin.

Also a 'pangea' contest might be cool - something where skins, maps (and mutators, voicepacks, SFX, VFX, etc) are all united under a theme. That way they can all be played in concert with eachother to create a unique/immersive gaming experience. JUst a thought.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

I like the idea! But I would like to see new skins from scratch and not another recolor/edit of an existing skin. Like everyone has to start with a blank canvas (with the uvs on it ofc :wink: )
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The theme would need to be well chosen though as the inherent, built-in limitations of some of the default models (shoulder pads, chunky boots, backpacks, etc) mean that certain types of themed skin work less well on them than they do on those models (like the Male 1/2/3 or Female 1/2 or Abbey for example) which have no such limitations and use just a one part skin. So, for example, I think superhero skins work less well on the default models than they do on the ones I've mentioned and it's much less easy to do convincing 'character' skins for the default models - anyone who has some of Jeff Martin's maps (discussed in another thread) will see that it is relatively easy to do reasonable skins of 'characters' like Olivia Dunham, Roy Batty or the Gunslinger in Westworld for various of the UnrealI models.

Just a thought and not a criticism of any of the superhero skins for default models out there!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:01 pm You should maybe ask in other communities as well.
Thought I'd start here. You know me, I frequently post around.
fudgonaut wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:39 pm While maps are the bread & butter of UT, I like the idea of a non-mapping contest
Had a few ideas, like a simple mutator contest, not a full on mod but something simple. Few other things too.
Metalfist wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:34 pm I would like to see new skins from scratch and not another recolor/edit of an existing skin
I was thinking both, why limit?

Original works or creating something new from existing templates.
OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:34 pmThe theme would need to be well chosen though as the inherent, built-in limitations of some of the default models (shoulder pads, chunky boots, backpacks, etc) mean that certain types of themed skin work less well
My initial thought was armor, as existing skins range from medieval armor to high-tech armor to even Iron Man's armor.

Or maybe something more urban, back in my more active Infiltration days I collected a tonnage of skins (mostly for the Male Commando) that were camo themed.

Still shuffling ideas...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 pm My initial thought was armor, as existing skins range from medieval armor to high-tech armor to even Iron Man's armor.
Or maybe something more urban, back in my more active Infiltration days I collected a tonnage of skins (mostly for the Male Commando) that were camo themed.
Still shuffling ideas...
Camo works fine on the Male/Female Commandos but less well on the Soldiers (because of shoulder pads, etc) and perhaps not at all on Xan or the Skaarj Hybrid.

Armour's OK but there are a lot of those, particularly hi-tech shading into cyborgs. Not so much of the medieval type around though that does really demand a helmet/head covering of some kind, which might be difficult.

Perhaps something that hasn't been done much? Thinking of urban - something non-military, civilian - suits - occupations that have a distinctive form of dress (like in the range of skins for Legoman)? Plus not limit it to default models which might then allow a wider range of inventiveness?
Last edited by OjitroC on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 pm
Metalfist wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:34 pm I would like to see new skins from scratch and not another recolor/edit of an existing skin
I was thinking both, why limit?
Original works or creating something new from existing templates.
Because I want to see NEW and original works, I'm tired of seeing the same thing remixed again and again. I've seen it too many times. Like editing the same map over and over again with just a few little changes like a texture... no thanks.
Creating something from scratch also involves more skill and is more creative. It forces creators to come up with interesting idea's on how to texture a model outside the existing work. It's more of a challenge and is refreshing.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Metalfist wrote:I would like to see new skins from scratch and not another recolor/edit of an existing skin...
Creating something from scratch also involves more skill and is more creative. It forces creators to come up with interesting idea's on how to texture a model outside the existing work. It's more of a challenge and is refreshing.
I agree, if it were to be just a skinning contest, the main criteria really needs to be skin textures from scratch, and I wouldn't limit it to a theme - skinners should let their imaginations run wild.

If there were to be more of a multi-element contest (maps, skins, voicepacks, etc) then a unifying theme makes a little more sense. Like steampunk or something. I'm not recommending steampunk - I personally find it to be an overused aesthetic - just using it as an example.