Too soon or too late? Unreal Engine 5 Revealed!

Discussions about UT99
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: Too soon or too late? Unreal Engine 5 Revealed!

Post by Terraniux »

I'm wondering about the size of the textures could be used? Could they be higher or still use the same ratio's? I think textures of 8192? or still a max of 4096?

just guessing here. :roll:
This member can only post when permitted.
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

Wow... I am simply stunned by the photorealistic visuals. In fact, it's so realistic looking I think it would fool anybody's brain into thinking it's live action.

Looks like it'll be pretty graphically demanding, though, and I don't imagine that will be too good for some computers, especially those whose graphics cards can't handle graphics that are that good in quality.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
Marscaleb
Average

Post by Marscaleb »

It's impressive technology, but honestly it depresses me.
I know I'm in the minority here, but honestly I don't want games to look like this. For a number of reasons.
One is that I think we're already at a tipping point for the financial viability of triple-A games. We've pushed the visuals and complexities so far that I think its hurting the industry. I'm sure plenty of people will argue against it, including people more knowledgeable than me, but that's a problem I see.
Another is that I honestly don't want games to look too real. Again, I know I'm in the minority here, but if I'm playing a game that centers around things like killing people, I want that experience to be detached from reality. I want the experience to be fun, to be enjoyable. Pushing the realism is great if its an artistic expression that teaches about the real horrors of war and violence. But competitive online deathmatch isn't about that, it's about fun. And I like the gaming feel in my games; I like the animations that don't quite behave like real people, and the images that look like beautiful-but-man-made art. I like the various details that are effects of restrictions. I don't want it to look like someone running through a warzone with a go-pro.

Also they talk about it running on a PS5 when I haven't even picked up a PS4, and it makes me feel like an old man who isn't with it anymore.
Back in my day, we had 800 polygons in a character model running in Glide on a Banshee, and we liked it!
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is running on UE4 and they did with something like 30 people. And it looks AND plays fantastic, tells a great story, too. Visuals / complexity can be done with small team studios as well. It shouldn't hurt the industry (too much) if you have a clear direction and an intuitive set of tools to work with.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Maby abit late reaction of me but besides the flying this girl in that demo looks like lara croft from tombraider
Btw those textures are looking great.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.