HUD map/radar

Discussions about UT99
User avatar
TheDane
Masterful
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:47 pm
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by TheDane » Tue May 26, 2020 3:54 pm

sektor2111 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:55 pm
I ain't say anything about UScript, I said about resources, folders/files involved.
Proof ? Did you read my post ? I formatted partition years ago - right after his "death". I unpacked those resources with funky names, and later I was surprised that I could not move those folders/files, the rest of data on disk had no problems. I'm not sure if I have that original archive somewhere and even if I would find it I won't unpack anything again.

For your knowledge, I witnessed such errors on Machines having USA as ONLY code page and some documents were copied from elsewhere - Some errors have been returned by Scandisk, yeah :loool: exactly :agree1:. And No, I'm not crazy I recall well some of lousy PC things which I witnessed.

I you want another similar craps like that, look for some Android apps using stupid names (coming from other planet maybe), copy them from phone to PC and back and do some file handling tasks - you might have some entertaining occurrences... I was about to lose my backups and since that moment I'm renaming all TRASH used as app names in common names out of "characters" and I did not see any issue anymore. And yes, Android as a brother of Linux also might do damage at this point into Win Systems - already happened. You might want to see a custom Romanian file name in Android translated into a Win machine how does it looks like - with a sort of alias code page installed as well - some Eastern Europe. When a file is saved from elsewhere into machine without that code page or another sort of naming deal, you can expect troubles if you want to move/delete that file. When you'll see such things don't say I did not warn you. If German specific stuff is well aligned between various platforms this doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone and for all countries. Already a lot of applications had patches for fixing various language issues, because YES, there are issues here.
And Yes, I'm polite and No, I'm not bullshitting.
No you did not, I read your post, you said:
sektor2111 wrote: Some of your old assets were causing only Disk Errors at people not having your code page in their systems
Then I ask you, WHAT ASSETS are you talking about? You say PEOPLE, as in MORE THAN YOU, strange that noone else has mentioned this to me before? If someone siteripped my website(s) and starts to do whatever they want, it's THEIR problem, not mine? Everything I released was UT based, either mods, maps or skins etc. I never released anything files related that could cause anything you describe there, so YES, PROOF or shut up! Every mod or map I've released I've tested on my own servers, WHICH WERE US BASED WITH US ENGLISH ONLY, no logs to back up your claims. And never have I been presented by such nonsence by onyone else but you.

And spare me stories about what you find on the internet, my 6th sence tells me it's not stuff I want to know about :loool:

and please don't reply any further with:
sektor2111 wrote:For your knowledge, I witnessed....
Those are words, not proof......
Retired.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4535
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by sektor2111 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Some resources were into an archive which Kelly had into whatever repositories, All sort of stuff. Two folders refused later to be deleted, simple as that. Also some of your comments through source-codes weren't in ENGLISH as you say after all, yeah... a nonsense for me too... like your fake death - that's indeed a story on Internet... yours more exactly.
TheDane wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:54 pm
Those are words, not proof......
Wrong, are facts happened. I saw that machine and its user how was reacting because all happened in front on my eyes not on Internet, exactly as you can see your hands - perfectly clear. I was in a visit to that IT guy for making a backup to a hard-drive which a dude gave me in that time. Documents were written in a "non-english" machine, and then "US" computer owned by IT guy was only blabbering around saying about some supposed disk errors.
I would not post anything here if I would not see your "chars" story. A deja-vu...

User avatar
TheDane
Masterful
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:47 pm
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by TheDane » Tue May 26, 2020 4:30 pm

sektor2111 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 pm
Some resources were into an archive which Kelly had into whatever repositories, All sort of stuff. Two folders refused later to be deleted, simple as that. Also some of your comments through source-codes weren't in ENGLISH as you say after all, yeah... a nonsense for me too... like your fake death - that's indeed a story on Internet... yours more exactly.
TheDane wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:54 pm
Those are words, not proof......
Wrong, are facts happened. I saw that machine and its user how was reacting because all happened in front on my eyes not on Internet, exactly as you can see your hands - perfectly clear. I was in a visit to that IT guy for making a backup to a hard-drive which a dude gave me in that time. Documents were written in a "non-english" machine, and then "US" computer was blabbering around.
I would not post anything here if I would not see your "chars" story. A deja-vu...
You confuse facts with claims. Facts can be proven, so prove them?

So, what it basicly comes down to, as I see it, is that you recieved a bunch of files from Kelly, and now I'm responsible for your harddrives malfunction, is that correct? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

About my comments "not in english", correct, those are notes to myself during coding, they DO NOT TRANFER INTO CODE, and can NEVER do what you claim them to do.

What is happening here, is that you can't let go of the past, you bring it up and now just shoot at everything related to me as mallicious, this is FACT, and everybody else BUT YOU, who reads this tpoic can see that for them selves.

I ask you politely to LET THAT GO, I'm over it, I suggest you speak with a proffesional so it can be gone for you too. This forum does not need you to plant false accusations against any code I've released - period. If you want to get personal, please mail me and we'll solve it there, if you can speak facts not fiction. Anything else here should be UT related and NOT personal attacks towards me or others.

Please considder your next reply, others than me are reading this.
Retired.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4535
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by sektor2111 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Agree in big parts, except that DISK Error. My drives are operational, so a code page problem is a SOFTWARE error User-Made (Your UT resources) not Hardware, I did not have any HDD malfunction in that time.

User avatar
TheDane
Masterful
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:47 pm
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by TheDane » Tue May 26, 2020 6:03 pm

sektor2111 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 pm
Agree in big parts, except that DISK Error. My drives are operational, so a code page problem is a SOFTWARE error User-Made (Your UT resources) not Hardware, I did not have any HDD malfunction in that time.
Stop your false accusations! Deliver proof or shut the fuck up! :barf:
Retired.

schwap
Novice
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:06 am

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by schwap » Tue May 26, 2020 6:56 pm

You should be able to avoid it by using

Code: Select all

Chr(176)
instead of "°" - although what Chris mentioned should have fixed it for you if you did it correctly

User avatar
TheDane
Masterful
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:47 pm
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by TheDane » Tue May 26, 2020 7:36 pm

schwap wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:56 pm
You should be able to avoid it by using

Code: Select all

Chr(176)
instead of "°" - although what Chris mentioned should have fixed it for you if you did it correctly
Actualy, it was due to ANSI, ANSI is different among windows versions. It was first when I started digging into ANSI combined with notepad++ I found this comment:
In Notepad, as in Windows software in general, “Unicode” as an encoding name means UTF-16 Little Endian (UTF-16LE). (I first thought it’s not real UTF-16, because Notepad++ recognizes it as UCS-2 and shows the content as garbage, but re-checking with BabelPad, I concluded that Notepad can encode even non-BMP characters correctly.)

Similarly, “Unicode big endian” means UTF-16 Big Endian. And “ANSI” means the system’s native legacy encoding, e.g. the 8-bit windows-1252 encoding in Western versions of Windows.
Now, this comment was 7 years old, so win 10 wasn't out then, but I tried anyway to accept that ANSI is not just ANSI, but can indeed differ.

I got Danish Windows 10, so the ANSI must differ. Therefore ANSI compilation gives this error. I therefore set the encoding to UTF-16 as suggested by Schwartz earlier on - that did the trick. :tu:

So, problem solved, thank you all (except sektor2111) :tu:

Unless I'm adressed to personaly, considder this my last post here, have fun, take care 8)
Retired.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 7050
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by EvilGrins » Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Okay then, this is a fact...
TheDane wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:30 pm
You confuse facts with claims. Facts can be proven, so prove them?

So, what it basicly...
...you spelled basically wrong.
Image
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/basically
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
Barbie
Godlike
Posts: 1830
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: moved without proper hashing

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by Barbie » Wed May 27, 2020 12:45 am

sektor2111 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 pm
disk errors.
You should distinguish between "disk errors" and "file system errors". The former have a physical reason like unreadable sectors and latter are logical errors on an error free hardware.
If you cannot access/read/write/remove files in a file system it is not a file system error necessarily - maybe you are using the wrong tools. For example the Windows Explorer cannot handle files with very long names. Powershell or command line may help in such cases. Older file manager may not able to handle names containing Unicode.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4535
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by sektor2111 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:24 am

Barbie wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:45 am
You should distinguish between "disk errors" and "file system errors".
This is what I was about to say, I g00gled for other issues with regard to Names vs Code Page, eh... I found more than I wanted... Else I did not say anything about my drives malfunctions and posting smilies... check back-posting... All hardware was in good state.
TheDane wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:36 pm
Now, this comment was 7 years old, so win 10 wasn't out then, but I tried anyway to accept that ANSI is not just ANSI, but can indeed differ.

I got Danish Windows 10, so the ANSI must differ. Therefore ANSI compilation gives this error. I therefore set the encoding to UTF-16 as suggested by Schwartz earlier on - that did the trick. :tu:

So, problem solved, thank you all (except sektor2111) :tu:
Good, have fun !

SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} » Wed May 27, 2020 3:37 pm

TheDane wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:36 pm
Now, this comment was 7 years old, so win 10 wasn't out then, but I tried anyway to accept that ANSI is not just ANSI, but can indeed differ.

I got Danish Windows 10, so the ANSI must differ. Therefore ANSI compilation gives this error. I therefore set the encoding to UTF-16 as suggested by Schwartz earlier on - that did the trick. :tu:
Glad I could be of help.
Image
Image
Image

Post Reply