[Q] Best UT video soundtrack?

Discussions about UT99
bustacell
Skilled

[Q] Best UT video soundtrack?

Post by bustacell »

Hey there,

What are your favorite UT videos with respect to soundtrack(s)?
For me, the music is an important factor when it comes to the question if a frag movie is a success or not. What do you think? Or would you prefer in-game sounds over music?

My favorite UT movie soundtrack is btw nowadays
https://youtu.be/oxhWIUKk4rQ :mrgreen:
This song is just too epic <3
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: [Q] Best UT video soundtrack?

Post by EvilGrins »

I can list my fave bits of UT music, to the extent I once converted them to .s3m so I could record a cassette tape to play while I was driving, but I never really thought soundtracks for UT were a thing.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
bustacell
Skilled

Post by bustacell »

That would also be interesting :)

But I was just referring to UT frag movies which are or have been around.
For example, the soundtrack of https://youtu.be/PE84K-HHw2w, especially beginning at 03:11, is one of the best imo, while there are others - which I don't even remember the Name / URL - which are absolutely not enjoyable due to just unfitting music.
And yeah, I know that music is always a matter of taste in the end. Nonetheless there are videos for example, which take music into account and try to sync frag hits with music beat for example. This is what I am looking for :)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

bustacell wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 am For me, the music is an important factor when it comes to the question if a frag movie is a success or not. What do you think?
Yeah, it is an important factor - there's a lot that could be said but, since music is a personal thing, there is a danger inherent in using something that isn't default UT music in that individuals may not like the song chosen and so be put off watching the frag movie (for very long anyway). Certain forms/genres of music tend to work better than others - I would say loud rock works fine for the instagib movies but that's just my view. However, if you want a large audience, then probably in-games sounds are better than music.

TBH I never play music in the game as I find it detracts from my gaming experience - I want to hear the ambient noise and the sounds made by opponents (and team members) but that's because I play a slow stealth/hunting type of game rather than the hectic all-action of instagib for example.

At least I now know who did the song featured in the first movie you linked to - I haven't heard it for years and had no idea who did it.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I clicked on the link and felt like I had just been Rickrolled, but I get your point and yeah I guess it fits.
However as pointed out choosing such tracks can put people off even though it may be lyrically appropriate.
The style of music just doesn't fit unless the video was funny, so I would likely watch only if I mute it.

Picking tracks because you like them only works if you have an expansive taste in music, or listen to lots of orchestral or instrumental music.
I spend a while looking for suitable mashups for the backing to a few of my vids.
This meant I could try and match the pace and aggression of the game with music that is recognisable but has more drama than the originals.
Various industrial and metal mashups for a ChaosUT match with melee weapons
However if I have been editing the map, often I will decide on 1 track and use it in the map anyway.
It is important to use a track with a quiet intro and outro or that is designed to loop.
Zombie movie mashup for a zombie infested Unreal map
Another to give away some bullets and destruction with another mashup chosen based on style and lyrics
bustacell
Skilled

Post by bustacell »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:28 pm I would say loud rock works fine for the instagib movies but that's just my view.
Sharing your opinion. Although I tried out some other music genres (like Country, Slow Rock, Bollywood Pop) for ComboGib movies which fit - from my point of view - also quite well. But yeah, there is still a difference between ComboGib and InstaGib, isn't it?
OjitroC wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:28 pm TBH I never play music in the game as I find it detracts from my gaming experience - I want to hear the ambient noise and the sounds made by opponents (and team members) but that's because I play a slow stealth/hunting type of game rather than the hectic all-action of instagib for example.
Fully agree on that. Switching off the music was basically one of the first things I did when setting up UT the first time 2 decades ago. And it remained turned off til today (c&p UT folder ftw ;))
Still, I like it when UT movies come along with music - in most cases :P
bustacell
Skilled

Post by bustacell »

Attention: Might look like self-promo :oops:

..but what do you think about this: https://youtu.be/VdLalgBbkVI ? :what:
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

There are also a lot from the BT players too.

Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?