Playing a map from UEd [SOLVED]

Discussions about UT99
OjitroC
Godlike

Playing a map from UEd [SOLVED]

Post by OjitroC »

I've only recently started to run a map from the Editor and have come across something curious.

First some background - in my UT folder I have a System folder for each of 436, 451 and 469 - obviously only one folder is named System at any one time. I therefore have 3 versions of the Editor - 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2.

The questions:-
1 When I click on Play Map in any/each of the Editors, UT starts up and I get all the usual menus, so I have to look for the map rather than going straight into it - is this normal?

2 This is the curious bit - in each of the Editors, UT starts not with the usual Entry Map (LocalMap) for whatever version it is (they each have a different Entry map) but with an Entry map that I haven't used for years - each starts with this same map. I've looked in UT.ini and Editor.ini for each version but I can not find any reference to this Entry map - so my question is, where is the information to load this particular Entry map taken from?
Last edited by OjitroC on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Playing a map from UEd

Post by OjitroC »

At the risk of double posting and to keep my initial post relatively short so that it is readable ....

This is what should happen when clicking on Play Map in the Editor when UT starts up

Code: Select all

Log: Game class is 'UTIntro'
Log: Level is Level Entry.MyLevel
Log: Bringing Level Entry.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: 
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is Entry.Mutator0
Log: Browse: Autoplay.unr?Name=Player?Class=Botpack.TMale2?team=255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Othello
Log: LoadMap: Autoplay.unr?Name=Player?Class=Botpack.TMale2?team=255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Othello
Log: Game class is 'DeathMatchPlus'
Log: Level is Level Autoplay.MyLevel
Log: Bringing Level Autoplay.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: ?Name=Player?Class=Botpack.TMale2?team=255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Othello
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is Autoplay.DMMutator0
This is what DOES happen

Code: Select all

Log: Level is Level Entry.MyLevel
Log: Bringing Level Entry.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: 
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is Entry.Mutator0
Log: Browse: Autoplay.unr?Name=Melania?Class=BotPack.TFemale1?team=0?skin=FCommandoSkins.cmdo?Face=FCommandoSkins.ivana?Voice=
Log: LoadMap: Autoplay.unr?Name=Melania?Class=BotPack.TFemale1?team=0?skin=FCommandoSkins.cmdo?Face=FCommandoSkins.ivana?Voice=
Log: Level is Level Autoplay.MyLevel
Log: Bringing Level Autoplay.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: ?Name=Melania?Class=BotPack.TFemale1?team=0?skin=FCommandoSkins.cmdo?Face=FCommandoSkins.ivana?Voice=
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is Autoplay.Mutator1
Obviously the reason a map doesn't play straight from the Editor is that the UTIntro Game Class is being used but why is this? Why is the Entry Map that comes up one I haven't used for years? I can find no explanation for this looking through and comparing the UT.inis from the two installations. I created a new Autoplay.unr from a fresh installation (the top case where everything worked fine) and put this in the Maps folder of the other installation and had the result shown in the bottom case.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:24 pm obviously only one folder is named System at any one time.
This is what I'm having too, of course using a batch for toggling new-old textures else it's not like New 469 Textures won't crash older UT versions - it's not like I read here through forum "they are compatible" - FALSE, they do have whatever "font-scaling" which is not 100% compatible with 436.
NotFor436.PNG
It's why I need to recover olders when I switch to 436 and copy back newers when I'm using 469 for tests - rarely indeed...
However, I'm not using that PlayLevel button, it generates a copy of map taking space for no reason.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

AutoPlay is the temporary name Unreal Editor gives to the map you're editing. The map is supposed to get saved in your Maps folder. Could you check if you perhaps have an old read-only file called AutoPlay.unr?

Also, this is kind of off topic but we solved that fonts compatibility problem in August. 469a shipped with font textures that work fine in 436. We do have to make some adjustments to how the glyphs are positioned in their glyph boxes (because they now come out differently than they did when you generated them with Win95). This is planned for an upcoming build.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Playing a map from UEd [SOLVED]

Post by OjitroC »

anth wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:08 pm AutoPlay is the temporary name Unreal Editor gives to the map you're editing. The map is supposed to get saved in your Maps folder. Could you check if you perhaps have an old read-only file called AutoPlay.unr?
No, the Autoplay.unr is created afresh each time it's saved to the Maps folder.

Managed to find the cause - I stupidly had a map folder named Entry, though this hasn't been a problem until now - I removed this and Play Map in the Editor worked fine - the Autoplay.unr thus created was opened by UT without issues.

Still perplexing is that the Entry map that came up previously was one that I haven't used for a long time and wasn't even in my UT folder - this means that it is saved somewhere but where?