some signature piccys ive done plus others

Discussions about UT99
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

some signature piccys ive done plus others

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

some stuff ive done with photoshop just thought i would put them on here im still learning how to use it lol

Last edited by sXs-sketchpad on Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: some signature piccys ive done plus others

Post by EvilGrins »

I like mine!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:42 am I like mine!
Thought you might I enjoy doing them
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

They look great!
This member can only post when permitted.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yeah, they're really cool :tu:
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

thanks
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

If you're just looking for a pat on the back, then all I have to say is that they look good. :tu:

But if you're also looking for more honest criticism:
Spoiler
I think the usage of the images in the signatures is on point: great backgrounds, great icons and great editing overall, with a few of them looking very iconic.

However most of them suffer from the text style you chose for the signatures: you seem to like to use 3D depth in text, and use it a bit too much, including in very thin fonts like the "{sXs}H3Lc@T", and the choice of color isn't great either since in many of them is hard to distinguish the text (which should be readable) from the rest of the image.

In a few cases it looks fine, for example in the EvilGrins one the text looks fine: perfectly readable, the style blends with the image just fine, and the style is great.

But then in other cases like the 3 last ones, the text is not as readable, and the style doesn't seem to fit the rest of the image very well, and the 3D depth effects plays a big role in this (if the text was more flattened it would likely look a lot better), and the colors used in the text should contrast the rest of the image, and that is not really happening there.

In the case of of the "-=SoP=-Tater" one, while you didn't add the 3D depth you added to others, you used a glowing outline in the text to make it standout from the rest, but the outline is so blurry and thin at the same time that is harder to immediately read the text.

Don't get me wrong, probably the hardest part of a signature is the text, and generally good text should be easily readable, should standout on its own, and at the same time blend well with the rest of the image, so generally good techniques to use is to either reserve an area without any background noise for the text (this is how logos are generally build), or make it so that the text is the center piece of the image (make it as if the text is affecting the rest of the image somehow, and not the other way around).

Hard to explain without showing an example, so here's a few examples of what I mean (all from users from this forum):

The first one only has the text, but the text is styled very well and thus is a great signature image on its own.

The second case is far more artistic, but notice how the text is always in a area without any background noise (the text isn't on top of other things).

The third case is like a mix of the first and the second, where the text is clear, styled and on top of pretty much a black background, but the image has more elements and the background has some activity to it (never mind the animation, focus only on the fact that the background has stuff in it), but isn't dense enough to impact the text, so it works.

I am by no means an expert at this sort of stuff, but since you asked for feedback, I thought I could provide you with the kind of feedback you may be looking for as well. :)

Keep up the great work. :)
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

thank you for the tips there about the font and stuff i think i use the drop shadow and bevel and emboss a bit to much i need to try and keep the writing clearer and easier to read
the other thing i did notice on my screen when you see them against the white of the forum for me they are hard to see on our forum wich is black theme i can see them more clearly i do need new glassess i must admit lol ive played around with them a little as i say thanks for the tips
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

sxshank marvin wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:51 am
EvilGrins wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:42 am I like mine!
Thought you might I enjoy doing them
I may use it on a different forum, pretty content with what I've got here.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758