Invisibility pickup for online play?

Discussions about UT99
ExpEM
Adept

Invisibility pickup for online play?

Post by ExpEM »

Every so often I spend time spectating online, I have noted that a lot of players (more so the higher tier players) absolutely despise the Invisibility pickup and will run mutators or modified levels to avoid it in gameplay.

Personally I like it, I don't play online but I do run LAN games (read: piss up with UT) and I do play against bots 99% of the time. I like the Invisibility pickup for the challenge it possesses and how it breaks up regular gameplay.

What are your thoughts on Invisibility? Yay or nay in levels? Please add a blurb on WHY your opinion is the way it is.
Signature goes here.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Invisibility pickup for online play?

Post by esnesi »

Pro weapon players online know on the milisecond when a pickup spawns.
They modify their so called ''route'' which they walk through the map for it, so they exactly land/be there on time for the pickup.
This way alot of them are abused, or imo, mess up duel gameplay.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I don't play online and I don't use invisibility. It used to annoy me for some reason when playing with bots, not quite sure why, perhaps it's a step too far in terms of 'powerups' (though I do use some of the enhanced relics) - playing against scriptedpawns, as I do mainly now, it's not of any use. In a way it doesn't fit with my style of play with 'real world' weapons and so I prefer to swap it out for some more armour particularly as many of my scriptedpawns are fairly powerful (weapons, health, speed, etc).
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

esnesi wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 am Pro weapon players online know on the milisecond when a pickup spawns.
They modify their so called ''route'' which they walk through the map for it, so they exactly land/be there on time for the pickup.
This way alot of them are abused, or imo, mess up duel gameplay.
I understand how the players rout maps, I just don't understand what the problem is with the Invisibility in particular.
Signature goes here.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Invisibility pickup in U1 is better than the ut99 version.

In U1 it doesn't make you mostly invisible, it makes you entirely invisible. There's no shimmer effect where you are, it's totally clear.

Even monsters can't see you with the U1 version, which I sometimes have access to in ut99 from the Oldskool.u file.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I am happy with it.
You are only invisible as long as you are not shooting.
As soon as people see empty cases or energy bolts appearing, they can see where you are.