wanted ask a general quick question

Discussions about UT99
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

wanted ask a general quick question

Post by sXs-sketchpad » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:36 pm

hi there someone on my server the other day does my server have new net as ive never heard of this before i was just wondering what it was thanks

ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: wanted ask a general quick question

Post by ShaiHulud » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:34 pm

The quick (and potentially inaccurate) explanation is that it's a mod designed to overcome the perception of lag caused by the time delay involved in communication between clients and the server.
Or to put it another way, it's designed to make every player feel like they're playing with a very low ping.

ZeroPing (ZP) had similar goals, and from my very minimal poking around inside of NewNet some time ago, I think it's built "on top of" ZP. Or at least, I saw references to ZP in there.
Edit: NewNet goes further than ZP, though, and also handles things like movers (lifts, doors, etc.).

It achieves this (from what I understand) by handing over more responsibility to clients. So instead of every player having to wait for the server to receive and process updates about their location, shots fired, items collected and so on, the server "trusts" clients to take care of these things, and to update it less frequently. So when someone fires a shot, instead of having to tell the server about this event, wait for the server to reconcile the consequences of this shot, and then send back its interpretation of what should happen next, the client just carries on without waiting.

I'm not sure how the server *does* reconcile events when different clients come to very different conclusions about what should happen next, but it seems to be able to.