2 UT installs? looking for workaround

Discussions about UT99
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

2 UT installs? looking for workaround

Post by Terraniux »

Hey

Didnt play a long time. I'd like to do that again. My current installation is the new
◄► Unreal Tournament v469b Patch Release ◄► and has the HD Textures pack from ( i forgot his name) installed as well. This prevents me from online.

Must I deinstall this one and start fresh again? Or i can have 2 separate installs? I remembered from the past there was a autoban on some servers if your .ini file changed?
If 2 installs are the solution how do i do that without screwing the registry?

Please advice thank you!
This member can only post when permitted.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: 2 UT installs? looking for workaround

Post by Barbie »

You can just copy the UT directory to another folder to get a second installation. No messing around with the windows registry.

When you do fresh install I suggest using separate paths for none stock files ("3rd" in this example) to keep a clean installation:
UnrealTournament.ini wrote:[Core.System]
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../System/3rd/*.u

Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Maps/3rd/*.unr
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Barbie wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:58 pm You can just copy the UT directory to another folder to get a second installation. No messing around with the windows registry.

When you do fresh install I suggest using separate paths for none stock files ("3rd" in this example) to keep a clean installation:
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../System/3rd/*.u

Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Maps/3rd/*.unr
thanks for the reply but you are missing the point. I cant copy cause of the update and the original utx textures are HD. I clearly said that. so a new install it is?
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

You can easily have 2 or more installs. Just create separate shortcuts to C:\UT-With-HD-Textures\System\UnrealTournament.exe, C:\UT-Standard\System\UnrealTournament.exe, etc. for ease of use.

They all exist independently.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Terraniux wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:40 pm Must I deinstall this one and start fresh again?
No, any deinstallation not need.
You can install new one copy wherever you want. Just install/extract UT in another folder.
Terraniux wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:40 pm Or i can have 2 separate installs?
Yes, you can.
Terraniux wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:40 pm I remembered from the past there was a autoban on some servers if your .ini file changed?
It look like wrong info. Anyway two separate installation is independent and not influent on each other.
Terraniux wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:40 pm If 2 installs are the solution how do i do that without screwing the registry?
Registry almost do nothing for UT. So maximum what can be change in it - install location and handlers for .umod files (if it even work before).
So don't worry - install fresh copy in new folder, and make shortcuts as say Shrimp, for fast access.

As another trick - you can try copy your UT HD folder, install fresh UT and copy (with replace) folder Textures, from new installed UT to copied HD UT folder.
It must return you usual textures and left your setting and setup same as before.

Automatically merged

Barbie wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:58 pm When you do fresh install I suggest using separate paths for none stock files ("3rd" in this example) to keep a clean installation:
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../System/3rd/*.u

Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Maps/3rd/*.unr
I suggest do opposite, for avoid additional work on each install stuff (maps, mutators, mods, textures) - place stock files (which unchanged and short in list) in subfolders, and all another place as usual.
This allow you unpack proper zip, without any additional work.
Paths=../System/stock/*.u
Paths=../System/*.u

Paths=../Maps/stock/*.unr
Paths=../Maps/*.unr
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

One of my installs is clean and separate - client game.
The other installation is... multiple installs containing more "System" like folders with separate launchers and sharing "Textures" and "Maps" - definitely Textures can be split - declared different. Multiple installs means:
- A 440 main for working with codes/maps;
- A 451b for probing other stuff and trash tests;
- A 469b for probing new bugs fixes;
- A 227i Gold for executing adds to UT maps on purpose to check if they are usable anymore or not.
If you do the sum, I have around 5 Installs + another placed elsewhere as a separate dedicated server.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Alright thanks for the help guys ! I'm going to have 2 installs then - 1 HD and 1 Nomal installation.