Is there any reason not to use oldunreal's patches?

Discussions about UT99
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Is there any reason not to use oldunreal's patches?

Post by sektor2111 »

In 436 original stock "News" page can be configured by user in the way he/she wants. I did not check these deals in 469.
Dennis
Average

Re: Is there any reason not to use oldunreal's patches?

Post by Dennis »

Buggie wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:25 pm
Dennis wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm my network monitor
It is exact name of software?
this one on Windows Server 2012 : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=4865
anth wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:46 am
Dennis wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm
anth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:45 pm [You will have to be more specific about the traffic you're seeing in v469x. Network traffic in general is quite common in online games.
I can not be more specific but to say that my network monitor flagged v469x for trafficing without running this has not happened with any of the stock patches.
That is simply impossible. No application will generate network traffic without running. Here are just a couple of the things that could be happening here:
1. It's possible that your network monitor simply warns you because the 469a and 469b patches contain libcurl. Libcurl is an immensely popular networking library. We use it to download MD5 file list updates, but only if you explicitly enable the feature. The MD5 checking and auto-update features are disabled by default and we only use libcurl on servers. However, since barely anyone uses these features and because malware scanners often flag libcurl as a suspicious file, we've removed libcurl from the 469c patch. There's some more info here, here and here.
2. Your network monitor might be showing you a misleading or false positive warning.
3. Your network monitor might be warning you because the server connects to a few "master servers" that the 436-451 versions did not use. Game servers connect to these master servers to advertise themselves in the server browser. Similarly, clients connect to the master servers to fetch the list of active game servers. Two of the three original master servers were taken offline quite a while ago, so the 469 patches added a few new master servers to replace them. You can remove the entries for these servers in the game ini if necessary, but we recommend keeping them.
I have no way to test if its 1,2 or 3 or all together or none of those? But it is no problem if it is only me having this issue. Our servers run with no problem on old windows server 2012 patched to v451b so we live with that as we use nothing that only works on new pathches.
Fraggers hangout place: http://fraggers.online/