problem with video render config

Discussions about UT99
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

problem with video render config

Post by UTPe »

Hello,
recently I've noticed a rendering problem with some maps containing trees (see image attached, taken from DM-Manorfarm). You can see well that tree texture backgrounds are not transparent.
In the past, I edited the D3D v9 render config to obtain a smoother gameplay on very large and complex maps (I played mostly sniper camping and I have an old video card) but now, after years, I really don't remember which render param controls this effect.
Have you any ideas ? thanks in advance...
Attachments
Shot00000.png
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: problem with video render config

Post by OjitroC »

I use D3D9 in 469c RC-4 and I've just played ManorFarm - the trees render correctly for me.

Here are the settings I use - which work OK for me (they may not suit everyone). Possibly you should check your settings related to MaskedTextures?
Spoiler
[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=False
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=0
SwapInterval=-1
UseFragmentProgram=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=False
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=True
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

thanks for the infos mate, we have similar D3D v9 configurations.
I tried to edit many params but nothing changed. Then I took a look elsewhere in UT.ini and I found the problem :facepalm:
The tree rendering problem is not related to the config of the D3D v9 video render, it's related to the value of the param TextureDetail in [WinDrv.WindowsClient]: the param was set to "Low", it should be set to "High" to avoid that annoying black blackground.

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
TextureDetail=High

I don't remember when I changed it in the past (maybe for NBK Cup 2011) but the scope, I think, was pretty obvious: rendering pawns better over background (war config) :mrgreen:

cheers,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Can someone fix this map so we can use it for the 469v?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Observations:
Textures used for those "decorations" and implemented in said package ARE NOT MASKED (as I can see in Textures Browser... properties). As result, they are shown exactly as they are - Black is just Black.
In other hand, I think I HAVE a bug around, since to me they look normal (in Editor so far) - which is not normal as long as these Textures are not Masked...
The rest of bugs means redundant posting of the same eternal bugs and the same discussions are useless.

What is doable as my solution(s).
Exporting Textures and reimporting in another package as they need to be - MASKED from 1 January to 31 December. Package generated for new textures can be loaded in MyLevel. If Textures Names won't conflict with original package we can have some fixes, either way decorations will need to be reconstructed in another package and replaced.
Average

Post by sn260591 »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:32 pmIn other hand, I think I HAVE a bug around, since to me they look normal (in Editor so far) - which is not normal as long as these Textures are not Masked...
Display properties can be stored in mesh polygons.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

See code of jbtree1:

Code: Select all

class jbtree1 expands Actor;
#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=Jjbtree10 FILE=MODELS\jbtree1.PCX GROUP=Skins FLAGS=2 // Material #44
And also this part in Wiki: If you #EXEC IMPORT it with FLAGS=2, then every pixel that uses the first entry in the pallette will be 100% transparent and the rest will be 100% opaque.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I'm running 469 and it seems to be fine for me not sure why. I'm running Dx11 drivers and have touched my INI settings. @sektor2111 sure like the looks of your toolsets. Not sure what they are or what they do but I would like them. Can they be found on House of Fools?
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Those textures work fine for me with D3D9 in 469c even with TextureDetail=Low - obviously they're low detail but no black surrounds.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'll bet if those textures would be masked they would not cause any trouble anywhere.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:38 pm @sektor2111 sure like the looks of your toolsets. Not sure what they are or what they do but I would like them. Can they be found on House of Fools?
In regard to this point we can speak about two things:
#1 - brush builders not for "brushing" purpose, but for other operations - these are having buttons - defined as EditPackages;
#2 - commands assigned at buttons - these I described already somewhere in forum at once with corresponding BMP icons, for being displayed - defined in UnrealEd.ini file.
For me looks more easy pushing a button instead of writing a command.
I'll look for that topic, either way I can put them somewhere in a more updated format.
However - pointing previous image I have done an inspection VIA Textures browser accessing properties for those "Black-Edged" textures.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

@Sektor2111 I found the post thank you.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

All right...
Here I touched things a little bit. Except changes done at those textures that now are resident in MyLevel and leaving packages as they are, there were operated several modifications as follows:
- Removed stupid big trigger for chimney smoke - we do have TimedTrigger with similar effects;
- Doing settings for burning damage at those fires, because actually you could not die sitting in fire - and neither other creature;
- Changed spamming decorations with other stuff;
- operated a few items that are causing headaches at Loque and his league... - they look as in original but are more easily taken;
- added helpers for A.I., jumping only if game settings are higher than classic and enforced by jumpers (pretty operational so far...);
- X manual tweaks at pathing - narrow spots were requiring some special attention.
To do:
- Eliminating left-over ReachSpecs - but not before looking if they are needed elsewhere...
- other generic checks.

Still wondering if those candles are not needing a sort of "burning fire" at their coronas, if some UT patch will not mess them and then I think I'll forget to touch them...
Point me other bugs found in here - if we touch map at least we can gain a bit of quality...

Edit:I see well that are differences between rendering in 436 and 469b, in my opinion 469 needs more work because it's not like we suddenly need to edit X GB of maps...
Either way after polishing a bit settings I got this 469b...
ManorFarm_wipstage0.png
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

If someone get this good map to work with 469 is it possible to make the windows slightly bigger so its possible to jump out?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Several Windows seem good enough for passing through them - even Bots are doing these stunts... Me one I go where I want with Translocator :mrgreen: .

Edit:
After playing a few matches, I found map usable in this state...
DM-ManorFarm_rS1268.7z
(863.97 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Let me know if Textures for those trees are still having a black cubed background... in whatever 469 patch...