UT99 Popularity?

Discussions about UT99
Prot
Novice

UT99 Popularity?

Post by Prot »

Hey guys,

New to the forum and I stumbled on this place because at work me and some buddies were hauling out our old UT disks for some after hours fun between buddies...

Then I see this place and I'm wondering... is there a resurgence of this game? How is the population on the servers?

I hate to do the 'back in the day' thing but are there any ladders out there anymore for vanilla CTF? There used to be a ton of them, but I couldn't find any.
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Re: UT99 Popularity?

Post by Acid.OMG »

yea dude alot of communities are still active 99 beats 2k4s popularity by a long shot :tongue:
[/Awesome]
Prot
Novice

Post by Prot »

Really?

I remember when the game pretty much died. I think it was the heavily anticipated UT2K3. I remember everyone was upgrading their PC's and waited with baited breath... then it came out.... the nerf to some weapons, map layout, and massive nerf to the beloved transponder, among other things turned everyone off.

I remember it though... like a switch going off.. *poof* UT99 went dead.... everyone ported over to 2K3, and then there was this void of 'what do we do now?'. lol

This obviously makes me seem super old, but I swear if they had just continued with the same mechanics, and just updated graphics and maps, it would probably still be king.

Me and some co-workers have been firing it up again at work and it's just a blast. Makes me wish for the old days when there were IRC channels crammed with clans/players every night. :flag2:
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Prot wrote:This obviously makes me seem super old, but I swear if they had just continued with the same mechanics, and just updated graphics and maps, it would probably still be king.
Exactly, Prot. I am "super old" myself. But I think UT99 still is the king. Some of the UT maps made in the past few years (and being made today) are far superior to the Epic maps we all started out with.

I can't wait for UT99.Org Community Pack 2...... :)
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Post by Acid.OMG »

to tell you the truth ut99 will never die there will always be people playing just like quake 3 which only has maybe 3 people a day but still peiople none the less

and most people who own ut3 or 2k4 still play 99
[/Awesome]
`Mex
Novice
Personal rank: Hitokiri

Post by `Mex »

If you'd like to checkout the the core of the eu community visit #ut1 on ign.ie.quakenet.org.
After ut2k3 was released there was amass exodus from ut, but gradually over the years its been building itself backup, I know for a fact there are a lot of new players flowing into the game and it just feels fresh and fun again :)
Prot
Novice

Post by Prot »

That's cool. I just might do that. I am reinstalling it at home right now.

I took the opportunity to buy Unreal Tournament 3 since it was cheap through my Steam account. I think the variation of the theme is great, but I absolutely hate the mechanics of the game.. movement, even the look of it. I just don't 'get it' I guess.

Original UT is so much cleaner, and I actually prefer every aspect of it. The look, the feel, the weapons, the texturing.

Like I said, we've been firing it back up at work, but that's just really LAN play, so I'm installing it now at home, and I'm going to find out if anyone is really out there. ;)
`Mex
Novice

Post by `Mex »

Here's some popular servers then:

10 man ffa deck - unreal://87.106.209.150:9500

14 man ffa deck with deemer and amp - unreal://85.236.100.43:8277

10 man jolt lms - unreal://195.149.21.71:7500

extended jolt lms (your health counts down, you have to kill to gain health to stay alive)- unreal://195.149.21.71:7700

10 man jolt instagib lms2 - unreal://195.149.21.71:7400

10 man jolt instagib lms4 - unreal://195.149.21.71:7600

If you find the right irc channels youll find loads of pickups aswell, hf
Prot
Novice

Post by Prot »

Thanks a lot 'Mex

To be honest I prefer the old school CTF stuff. At first I had trouble finding any servers that actually hosted 'vanilla' CTF. I was a bit disappointed at the large array of mods where everyone has nukes, or is flying something...weird stuff.

But I did find genuine CTF! It was a blast. I got owned a ton... and a ton more. I even recognized the odd nick from 10 years ago. I found I had more trouble logging off, and calling it a night, then I did with my freshly installed UTIII.

What an amazing game this is (still!). I am pretty impressed with the server volume! That is awesome in itself!!! Lots of guys have obviously retained their skill levels.... you know the guys that run backwards on face, shocking and dodging their way to cap untouched.... amazing. I just don't see that in ANY other fps. This is still the ONE. Make no mistake about it... even getting owned I'm having fun.

On the flip side, it really has me thinking if EPIC just simply revisited this specific engine and did some work to re market it... who knows how far it would go. The new UT is horrendous compared this!

Anyway, thanks again. I was never fantastic at this game, but there is a bit of rust. I still get a kick out of what some people can do in this game. Amazing.
`Mex
Novice

Post by `Mex »

I remember getting my ass kicked so hard when I first started playing this game, but that's how you learn isn't it and a part of the fun =D. I love that attitude, wouldn't it be great if Epic and co listened to people like yourself rather than people with less backbone :agree1:.
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

My impression is that the UT99 community (back in the day) was huge, then we had lots of drop-off when UT2003 came out. UT2004 got some people back, but then UT3 killed off some more.

The computer I was using when I was making UT maps, has long since died. But I'd certainly re-install UT if there was enough activity in the community.