Discussions about UT99
FrozenDozer
Average
Personal rank: TS Addict

Re: Direct3D vs OpenGL

Post by FrozenDozer »

Raynor wrote:
danilozanaga wrote:
OpenGL looks better, but Direct3D is faster.

A: OpenGl for sure.
Could you please elaborate how does OpenGL provide better visuals than Direct3D9? The image quality you get also highly depens how you've configured your UT visual settings.
I've tested both renderers and played with different settings/configurations and I have to admit they look par. If you have some additional details to share why should we prefer one renderer over another I'm open to listen you :agree1:
There are some minor differences in Contrast, Colorstrength and some other things, but nothing major.
Signatures are overrated...
UdAV21
Novice

Post by UdAV21 »

I've just noticed that OpenGL picture is darker than DirectX picture. Also, IMHO, DX is faster and more reliable.
FrozenDozer
Average
Personal rank: TS Addict

Post by FrozenDozer »

Direct3D and OpenGl both have their Pros and Cons. I'm a Direct3D user, coz OpenGL doesn't work on my, and I don't know why -.-
Signatures are overrated...
Sniperking
Personal rank: King of the sniper

Post by Sniperking »

I use OpenGL 3.4 :rock:
dmhorus
Personal rank: modder

Post by dmhorus »

opengl all the way. just looks better, works better, faster too.
Wester547

Post by Wester547 »

OpenGL by far. 32-bit color looks much, much better in OpenGL, there's support for S3TC texture maps, Anisotropic filtering can be controlled in the .ini file, and a great many other things... I do think Glide looks better than Direct3D (using a Glide wrapper), by the by, even if Glide only supports 16-bit color (which dampens effects like coronas), but Glide still pales in comparison to today's OpenGL in any Unreal game.

As for performance, that's a middled situation for me. I've found Direct3D faster in a great many ways, and I have both ATi and nVidia hardware from the DX7/8/9 generations. CPU limits are much more glaring in OpenGL for me, but there are a few exceptions where Direct3D is slower by a length.

But I still say OpenGL by far.