Why is UT99 the best?

Discussions about UT99
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Why is UT99 the best?

Post by Myth »

Why is UT99 the best?

We all have played UT99. And we are still playing it. That's the reason we joined this site. But after playing such a great game, most of us tried the newer versions of it. UT2004, UT3. They look better, much better effects, audio, cool features. But why do we still play the old one? Why do we return ?
The answer is simple. UT99 is the best.

Most of us has seen this image.
Clicking on it will bring up a hi-res version of it.
I's an Unreal engine comparison. The guy on the left is from UT99, in the middle UT2004 and in the right side of the image UT3.
It is crystal clear that this image was made to promote newer versions of Unreal engine. So the UT99 guy is a little bit blurred and bad lit.

So I thought of modifying it, to make UT99 look better. After five minutes of work, I realized that it was perfect all the time, and didn't need to be modified.
The pictures was actually made for 2 things.
1. To prove that unreal engine 3 is the best.
2. To prove that UT99 is the best.

Yes we all saw that picture. But we haven't observed that the UT99 guy has a enforcer. The rest are simply unarmed. The one that made the picture wanted make UT99 stick out of the picture. He has made it perfect. Made Unreal engine 3 the best. Made UT99 the best. If the picture would unfreeze and they would start a last man standing match, UT99 would onw flawlessly.

Note that this is not the reason why I like the game, just an interesting fact that inspired me to start this thread.
Read through the posts, you will find some quite interesting posts. Thanks for contributing everyone.
Last edited by Myth on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Why is UT99 the best?

Post by Feralidragon »

For me, UT99 is the best, simply because a good game is about good gaming feelling, and UT2004 and beyond don't have the same feelling when playing, as UT99.

I feel good to do "Head Shot!" in UT99 :rock: , but in UT2004, I feel like this :noidea

And you feel that for sure too :mrgreen:

P.S.: I like the Sniper of UT99, but don't like the Sniper of UT2004, for example :agree1:
Fodder McFly*VSC
Novice
Personal rank: Goggle Boy

Post by Fodder McFly*VSC »

Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two games that will never leave my hard drive.

I dunno what it is, but those games are always fun to play. They just have "it." I've been playing both for 6-7 years now, yet I still enjoy them. Unreal's single player is a lot of fun for me, and UT's multiplayer is out of this world.

:rock:
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

@Myths Skinpicture:
Theres no doubt, the UT skin is the best skin. 8)
Why? Look at the second skin (Unreal Engine 2)! Whats that!? Hes standing like a looser, not ready for battle, looking around and dreaming about a sun-regimen for his arms! (Compare the color of the arms and the head) :noidea
And the third skin? Look at his feet! He seriously cant run with this armor-thing over his feet. And he is too fat... an easy target. :shock:
Dare
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 God

Post by Dare »

Rofl the 2nd skin has white arms and brown head :loool:

The UT3 graphics are too much for a game for a computer and will need a super computer to run it realy..

I like simple graphics the best, there is no need to update graphics realy the game play is all the same and all it does it makes the game slower.

That's why I love UT99, I have tried Ut04 and it has alot of hackers and people aren't as plesant as the players who play on UT99.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

No, ut3 has not really high requirements at least unlike to other games like Chrysis. I think, the UE3 is pretty good optimised. And to hate a game, only because you can`t run it on your machine is absolute nonsense. (unless those requirements are really insane)
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

I played all the UT's.. 99 is the ownage
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Believe it or not. I got UT99 to look better than UT 2K4 (lighting and texture mapping NOT polygons). Also I tried to play UT 2K4 Online and found it to be a really weak game. The only two game types I liked were Double Domination and Bombing Run, but the speed, gravity, and floaty feel of the game ruined it. I heard UT3 is supposed to be better than stand-alone UT99 (keywords stand-alone) but it hasn't been out long enough to get the mod support that UT99 has and I sure as hell aint leaving UT99 for a game that doesn't have anything that UT99 has.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

UT3 actually stands closer to UT99 than UT2k4. But they removed the ripper :nonono: .
§0n!b@n9
Novice

Post by §0n!b@n9 »

I like the eternal music in UT :agree1:
My map on Nalicity - ctf-2on2-terram643 - ctf-dragonfire2k7-se - ctf-comptoir - ctf-inuitfactory - ctf-techtraining - ctf-dna-factum - My map on UnrealPlayground

Dare
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 God

Post by Dare »

I don't know about UT3 but UT2K4 has a built in music player, if UT99 had that it would be even better :mrgreen:
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Dare wrote:I don't know about UT3 but UT2K4 has a built in music player, if UT99 had that it would be even better :mrgreen:
The Oldskool Mod can something like that, too
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
demonsnake7

Post by demonsnake7 »

UT99 is just simply the bewst :tongue: :loool:
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:Alot of people have just put UT99 is the best, or have put down the other UT games to make UT99 seem better. :wth:

Now I share your enthusiasm for 99, however that is no reason to put up an Illusion for the other games. They do have their merits.

UT2k4 has its merits for "that floaty feeling", 2k4 is not as fast paced as 99 and IS NOT supposed to be. 2k4 is more about team work and tactile work (unfortunately EVERYother game was in this "tactics" phase then too).

UT3 has its merits for the graphics and improved AI. After playing 99 then jumping into UT3 for the first time alot of things shock you. Like on CTF-Suspension the bots actually know how to climb up to the top of the suspension bridge and DO. Do you know how embarrasing it is to blaze across the wires and being shot down by a BOT waiting at your end of the bridge? In 99 the node mapping of most maps in CTF was quite poor :?

However, the reason I keep coming back to 99 is because...
Its Ours.
Even though Epic has their name emblazoned over it, its the community that is keeping it alive and healthy.
We are the ones now running servers for it, not Epic.
We are the ones now mapping for it, not Epic.
We are now the ones modding for it, not Epic.

And besides. - Cliffy B is a showboating,platform jumping moron :loool:
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

-K¡ngS- wrote:Alot of people have just put UT99 is the best, or have put down the other UT games to make UT99 seem better. :wth:
You know I have other games that I play regularly. And there are other games that I like to play. And UT is the most community based. Many mods/maps. Newer and newer stuff. It's pure gold.