Why is UT99 the best?

Discussions about UT99
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Re: Why is UT99 the best?

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Lee_Stricklin wrote:The real reason that nobody plays UT3 is that it sucks.
I couldn't run it on my new dual-core (is it possible to get negative-value FPS?) just kidding. I played it on a friend's AWare once and, that's right, it sucks.

I love the UT99 animations. With UT2K3 and the ragdoll physics came 'blah'....Nothing quite like seeing Dr. Freakenstein get fragged(lol), or watching Loque spasming wildly, as you hit him with the alt plasma gun beam.... :D
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
brdempsey69
Average
Personal rank: Ex Marine

Post by brdempsey69 »

Lee_Stricklin wrote: The real reason that nobody plays UT3 is that it sucks.
I have a friend named Nick who goes by the author name of Nick_C. He's the author of the CTF-Warfare. I don't know if you or Sgt. Todd have ever played it or seen it before. But, anyways, I got him a copy of UT3 & him and I would get together on my LAN server and play. He liked it for a while, but the bugs & nuances of UT3 came to a head & took their toll and one day, he made a request to me. It was "Can we play original UT because I really don't enjoy UT3 as much as the original game". Isn't that a surprise? Actually, not at all. I knew it was coming. UT3 netcoding is by far the worst of the UT series & people complain about dud projectiles all the time on the official Epic forums. Nick got fed up with it.

BTW, I saw your post on the Beyond Unreal UT3 forums referencing my screen shot of the UT3 server browser & I agree with 100%. UT3 sucks because Epic didn't finish what they started & released a stillborn.
Sergeant Todd wrote: I love the UT99 animations. With UT2K3 and the ragdoll physics came 'blah'....Nothing quite like seeing Dr. Freakenstein get fragged(lol), or watching Loque spasming wildly, as you hit him with the alt plasma gun beam.... :D
You've mentioned that more than once & I'm glad that you have, because it got me to look a little closer at the character animations of all the UT series games. Original UT character animations just flat out stomp all over any of the others in the UT series. It's not even remotely close.
Last edited by brdempsey69 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

brdempsey69 wrote: I have a friend named Nick who goes by the author name of Nick_C. He's the author of the CTF-Warfare.
Is that the Nick C who had a site on Planet Unreal? I bought his tutorial CDs, they were great. Say hi to him for me.
brdempsey69
Average

Post by brdempsey69 »

smeerkat wrote:
brdempsey69 wrote: I have a friend named Nick who goes by the author name of Nick_C. He's the author of the CTF-Warfare.
Is that the Nick C who had a site on Planet Unreal? I bought his tutorial CDs, they were great. Say hi to him for me.
Yes, that's him. The site he had is no longer up. However, he's back to mapping for UT and joins me on my UT server every week. I had also purchased his tutorials CD's back in 2001 and established a rapport with him. Now we chat via TeamSpeak. He's really likes UT CTF & after all these years has come to the realization that the original UT is always going to be the best of the series. Once I got him to come & play he's gotten to see other aspects besides mapping, such as the game play itself, server administration, redirecting custom content, creating custom packages, etc.

I'll tell him you said hello. Maybe I can get him to register on this site.
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Hopefully he'll submit his map to the next map pack. :tu:
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

smeerkat wrote:Hopefully he'll submit his map to the next map pack. :tu:
Over my dead body.. no no j/k. Never heared from him. Some pics to see or so?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Nick_C

Post by Nick_C »

Hi all...

I thought id stop by & say hi to those that remembered me from the good ole days :tu:

Who would have thought that I would still be playing original UT after all these years, you would think Epic would have come up with something even better after all these years but they dont appear to have done so, dont get me wrong UT3 looks very nice & I enjoyed playing it a lot, the darkwalker was my fave, at first glance it seems to have a lot going for it, my friend Brian (brdempsey69) & I played this for a while but the most irritating thing for me was the way the bots could pull off shots that no human player could ever match, like for example a bot would be running away with our flag, I would be behind running my little ass off as fast as I could shooting several rounds into him, when suddenly the bot would turn around & headshot me with the sniper rifle :shock: , its just poor programming I guess, they also shoot down my redeemer EVERY time, which kinda makes that weapon useless, where as in the original UT I can at least create some havoc with the good ole redeemer (which of course I do every chance I get).

So yes im still doing a little mapping, not anywhere near the amount I used to create but ive re-created my original UT level called "CTF-IceValley" for UT3 which was fun to do & nice to see it with the flashy graphics of UT3, & only recently finished a small'ish map for the original UT called "CTF-Quadraphenia" which Brian & I play online each week which is simple but good fun.

Unfortunately my original site on planetunreal has been taken down now & soon to go from what they have told me will be the mail server, but it was online for a good number of years so I cant complain.

For me the original UT is still the best of the series, its relatively easy to make levels for & create custom packages etc, it plays well & just seems to have a more intense & fun gameplay, but fair at the same time, sure Xan can be a real bugger to take down, but he isnt invincible & plays fairly, I dont know how long Brian & I will play the original for but I must say that it doesnt ever seem to get dull or boring, the maps are also more varied in themes which helps keep the variety up, I can understand that it might not be everyones cup of tea, but for me it just all seems to work & im pretty sure its not just a case of nostalgia.

Anyway, I just thought id pop in & show im still around :D
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Very nice first post, welcome Nick_C !
brdempsey69
Average

Post by brdempsey69 »

Thanks for taking my suggestion & stopping in Nick. This is a great site, especially in light of the fact that Epic doesn't even have an original UT section on their official forums -- which is totally disgraceful.

Like Nick says, it's not nostalgia as far as playing original UT. We purchased all the iterations of the UT series over the years, and gave them all a fair chance. That doesn't just only mean playing them extensively -- which we did--but all the other aspects such as mapping, custom content & especially server administration.

Original UT proved to be the best overall package of the bunch & certainly its game play was unsurpassed by the later iterations that Epic released ( I won't call them successors because to me, none of them were true sequels to the original UT ).
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

For me, the key word is "intensity." UT3 looks prettier, but the gameplay is not intense. It feels distant. UT2004-Onslaught was great fun. UT99 is still the best, and better than any version of Quake or Doom. And the huge database of custom maps keeps the ol' game fresh.
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

The Engine. I was doing some work with the TESIII engine the other day, and I realised, for all it's crashes and other crap, Ued 2.0 is pretty freaking great. TESIII has advanced graphics, wireframe skeltal physics, heaps of stuff, but so many things are there that an OLDER game, UT99, does better, e.g: Movers: UT99-Just use Mover class TESIII CS-create a static object, attatch a script to it, create an activator with another script that links to the first script, place the activator in the world and the mover... Congratu-freaking-lations, you just made a door that goes Up instead of the prefab swining open. :wtf: oh, yeah, retexturing a mesh-UT99: Change Multiskins. TESIII CS: Export the mesh, open it in one of the unfindable programs that actually deals with .NIF models, change the texture, place the RAW UNCOMPRESSED mesh in a folder, access it via the CS, done. World Design: UT99: BSP, easy to build TESIII CS: no shit, the ENTIRE DAMN THING is made of lots of meshes. So to create an area, you need to either create ENTIRE NEW MESHES with an External program, or play Mix 'N' match with the stock stuff. All in ONE 3D Viewport (No top down or w/e) Makes you realise how damn easy it is to map for UT (Although making new weapons in TESIII is a lot easier-they are all medieval, so it's fairly simple)

Another thing: In UT99, the Entire Engine is at your fingertips. You can do whatever you want, but risk breaking the game. In TESIII, about a Tenth of the engine is available to you, and you can't break the game, but engine modifications are like trying to cut Titanium with a plastic knife.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
Nick_C

Post by Nick_C »

zacman wrote:The Engine. I was doing some work with the TESIII engine the other day, and I realised, for all it's crashes and other crap, Ued 2.0 is pretty freaking great. TESIII has advanced graphics, wireframe skeltal physics, heaps of stuff, but so many things are there that an OLDER game, UT99, does better, e.g: Movers: UT99-Just use Mover class TESIII CS-create a static object, attatch a script to it, create an activator with another script that links to the first script, place the activator in the world and the mover... Congratu-freaking-lations, you just made a door that goes Up instead of the prefab swining open. :wtf: oh, yeah, retexturing a mesh-UT99: Change Multiskins. TESIII CS: Export the mesh, open it in one of the unfindable programs that actually deals with .NIF models, change the texture, place the RAW UNCOMPRESSED mesh in a folder, access it via the CS, done. World Design: UT99: BSP, easy to build TESIII CS: no shit, the ENTIRE DAMN THING is made of lots of meshes. So to create an area, you need to either create ENTIRE NEW MESHES with an External program, or play Mix 'N' match with the stock stuff. All in ONE 3D Viewport (No top down or w/e) Makes you realise how damn easy it is to map for UT (Although making new weapons in TESIII is a lot easier-they are all medieval, so it's fairly simple)

Another thing: In UT99, the Entire Engine is at your fingertips. You can do whatever you want, but risk breaking the game. In TESIII, about a Tenth of the engine is available to you, and you can't break the game, but engine modifications are like trying to cut Titanium with a plastic knife.
Ive made many maps for UT99 & now one map for UT3, I find it much easier mapping for UT99, leaving me focussed on the actual level rather than fighting it out with the editor :shock: , a simple mover was overly complex & doesnt need to be, where as for UT99 making a mover is a doddle, a few clicks & its working, I used to use movers in my maps to create explodable parts, like a bridge for example that when shot would explode, or a wall etc, I wouldnt attempt such a task in UT3, I wouldnt know where to begin, but in UT99 its not too hard.

Does anyone else find the maps in UT3 to be a little depressing? all dark & dreary, great graphics but very gloomy, there isnt even any egyptian themes & I love those maps, thats whats so good about UT99, the maps are so varied & seem much clearer & brighter overall, altogether much more cheerful.

Saying that though ive installed UT3 again & played it the other day, I actually think its more closer to Quake than the original UT, its like Quake 4 with a UT mod applied :P it was fun to play just not as intense gameplay as UT99 as was already said on here.

Nick :-)
brdempsey69
Average

Post by brdempsey69 »

Basically, UT3 was a tech demo put out by Epic to showcase their latest engine. Unfortunately, they forgot to finish the damn PC version of the game & many of the stock maps had way too much detail in them.

Original UT maps were designed first & foremost as combat arenas & had just the right amount of detail. These maps had game play in mind first & foremost. There are many examples like CTF-LavaGiant, DM-Liandri, DM-Morpheus & the list goes on and on.

Many of the community made maps for UT followed the same blueprint & over the years we got a great variety of map themes, which is unsurpassed by any subsequent UT releases.

One of the reasons original UT is still the best.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

UT3 is not so bad... I played it and it was fun ...but somehow it is toooo overweight.
Yeah I played it last on a PC with a shitty graphic card onboard. 600x800 ...it was like Doom :loool:
A pixle-hell !!
But I owned the player on the Server, I did enter after half the playing time and came in second. :mrgreen:

Uhrmmm.... Yeah ...What ? :what: nevermind!

UT99 FTW!!!!!!
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

I think another reason is UT99 piggyback's off the U1 Engine, so IF the player decides they want a meaningful SP Campaign, they can make one easily. With UTIII, New engine, no skaarj or mercs lurking in the back hidden waiting to pop up and go oh hai we're more of a challenge than bots! Fight us! just bots, bots, bots, and MP... If you want a good SP Campaign in UTIII, you gotta recode the lot, redo models, every damn thing :shock:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]