Why is UT99 the best?

Discussions about UT99
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Why is UT99 the best?

Post by Creavion »

You can find a umx decoder in the downloads which allows you play the umx files directly in Winamp ;)
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Rosco[CoF]
Average
Personal rank: Badges?

Post by Rosco[CoF] »

I saw that, cool deal. I wish that was around 5-6 years ago unless I just never saw it.
Consoles are schwag.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

UT99 Why it is the best:

Gameplay: gravity, movement, weapons, etc. are all perfectly balanced. Cheating is almost impossible if the server admins keep their stuff updated.

Graphics: Mind-blowing at it's initial release, while the stock graphics are dated you can always download the updated textures to make the game look new. Extension pack is going to make this look a lot more new (way better than over-rated CS:S that's for damn sure).

Community: Best out there. We got guys that are doing stuff that Epic won't do to further improve this game.

Modding: This is the most modded game ever released.

System requirements: I ran this on a system with Windows 95, a 2 Gigabyte hard-drive, 16 Megabytes of RAM, NO 3D ACCELERATION WHAT SO EVER, and a shoddy sound card and achieved an FPS of 12 with high detail skin and environment settings turned on (just make sure you use a 320 x 240 res and change your system ini to use 8MB of RAM if your rig SUCKS this badly). I don't think you need to worry about requirements.

Sound: EAX-enabled patch give you awesome sound-quality with surround support.

Mapping: There are more maps for this game than any other that I know of.

Platforms: Available on Windows, Linux, and Mac

Internet requirement: My network SUCKS and I still get to jump onto a server less than on minute after I double click on it.

Price tag: A lot less than it's worth
brdempsey69
Average
Personal rank: Ex Marine

Post by brdempsey69 »

Lee_Stricklin wrote:
Community: Best out there. We got guys that are doing stuff that Epic won't do to further improve this game.

Thank goodness for that, especially given the misfortune that befell UT3. It's just as well that Epic kept their hands off the original UT at this point in time.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

brdempsey69 wrote:
Lee_Stricklin wrote:

Thank goodness for that, especially given the misfortune that befell UT3. It's just as well that Epic kept their hands off the original UT at this point in time.
What sucked about UT3?
Rosco[CoF]
Average

Post by Rosco[CoF] »

brdempsey69 wrote: Thank goodness for that, especially given the misfortune that befell UT3. It's just as well that Epic kept their hands off the original UT at this point in time.
Wha? You don't want them to turn UT into a nerfed Console game?
Consoles are schwag.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Or to join M$ and make UT4 Vista only ?
brdempsey69
Average

Post by brdempsey69 »

Lee_Stricklin wrote:
What sucked about UT3?
The core gameplay I like, but it is a broken and unfinished product for the PC with very little to offer in the way of customizing anything.

Rosco said it best ( or at least along those lines )-- it was a console port to the PC. And this after they had said "PC is our bread and butter". Unfortunately, the PC version of UT3 turned out to be more of a Dog doo-doo snow cone than bread and butter. It needs a hell of a lot of patching and fixing.

Besides it'll never have the player base and the first-rate community support that UT99 has.
Rosco[CoF]
Average

Post by Rosco[CoF] »

UT also has something none of the others have, uWindows. UT2004 UI was a step in the wrong direction. UT3 is a complete reach around for console players.

In UT, you can bind a key to a voice command or taunt in the UI! You had to edit the ini to be able to do something like that in UT2004. My only experience with UT3 was with the demo, and that was a pretty poor experience. When I played the demo for the original UT, I couldn't wait to buy the full game, and I did so on the very first day of release. That is what a demo should be like. The UT3 demo looked and ran horribly on my PC, it was a miserable experience. And I have a dual core CPU with 2GB of memory and a nVidia 7800GS! Epic does not care about PC any longer. Heck, Tim Sweeney from Epic even admitted it! Don't believe me, read it for yourself.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36436/118/1/1/
Sweeney: The Unreal engine is really tied to a console cycle. We will continue to improve Unreal Engine 3 and add significant new features through the end of this console cycle. So, it is normal to expect that we will add new stuff in 2011 and 2012. We're shipping Gears of War now; we're just showing the next bunch of major tech upgrades such as soft-body physics, destructible environments and crowds. There is a long life ahead for Unreal Engine 3. Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also. PCs will follow after that.
"PCs will follow after that" is code for "Consoles 1st, PC Last"

Writing is on the wall, in florescent colors. Unreal & UT were made for the PC. UT3 is a console game.

Consoles are schwag.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... schwag&r=f
Consoles are schwag.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Yeah, statement that UE is now focused on consoles made me really sad and angry. I've been a true Epic fan for years, but from now on it's just too hard to justify this. I understand that engine!=game, but all Unreal games from UT2003 got that consolish feel on them. Especially considering the fact 2k3 was basically a port from xbox UC I hoped UT3 will bring something fresh, but that wasn't the case. UT3 is a step in right direction, but there is a long way to come before it can reach UT1 quality.
gades
Average
Personal rank: UT BotMast3r

Post by gades »

IMO, the biggest problems with UT3 are the buggy interface, the extreme system requirements, vehicle imbalance in VCTF (it's fine in Warfare), and it's utter lack of support and advertising. Mostly, the gameplay is solid, especially CTF.

Back to ut99. It was so damned revolutionary back in the day (so was unreal for that matter). No other games had you playing in temples, factories, wooden ships, spaceships, volcanic caves, egyptian arenas, floating castles, lava planets, undersea stations, stratosphere skyscapers and a freaking asteroid in space. It was damned customizable, from customizing the bots to tons of user made mods and mutators. All this with a cool soundtrack. You'd never get bored.
TheCorey
Experienced
Personal rank: Evil mapper

Post by TheCorey »

brdempsey69 wrote:
Lee_Stricklin wrote:
What sucked about UT3?
The core gameplay I like, but it is a broken and unfinished product for the PC with very little to offer in the way of customizing anything.
Are you kidding? Unreal Egine 3 is best engine for modding. The editor is so userfriendly. It hardly has anything else you could wish for.
Rosco[CoF]
Average

Post by Rosco[CoF] »

TheCorey wrote: Are you kidding? Unreal Egine 3 is best engine for modding. The editor is so userfriendly. It hardly has anything else you could wish for.
Which is cool, because maybe someone will create a game like Unreal Tournament for us with it!

:loool:
Consoles are schwag.
brdempsey69
Average

Post by brdempsey69 »

TheCorey wrote:

Are you kidding? Unreal Egine 3 is best engine for modding. The editor is so userfriendly. It hardly has anything else you could wish for.

I was talking about the lack of options in the UI and many others have acknowledged this. I wasn't referring to the editor. UT3 won't save your keybinds or your Single player settings or mutator selections. They get reset every time UT3 is shut down and restarted. That's hardly what I would call "user-friendly".

And as far as UT3 being so mod friendly, the author of the Mapmixer utility for UT2004 might very well disagree with you. See this thread here : http://oceaniaut.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=26638

He's making progress, though and UT3 badly needs this utility.

But even with that, it won't surpass the original UT.
TheCorey
Experienced
Personal rank: Evil mapper

Post by TheCorey »

Sorry, I can't run UT 3 myself so I didn't know about all this. But I've seen the videos and the editor is great for mappers and moders.

But anyway back to topic.

I think the power of UT lies in the simplisity. UT just runs very smoothly especially on the computers now days. And UT was made when games didn't had to follow some sort of image. Now days games have to look super b before they are taken seriously. And gameplay often comes second. UT is just made for fun.