Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Critical Error

Post by Feralidragon »

Does someone know what this error is? :|
ScreenError.jpg

This crash is caused by my newest weapon shown here:
http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95

This weapon causes a massive explosion, and it crashes some maps, and the maps that this weapon do not crash, are all the official maps (CTF, DM, and so on), and many of other custom maps. But it crashes only some custom maps made by me and the Chaos UT ones too. :noidea

EDIT: I had the same problem with other ones, and it seems to be a dynamic lightning problem or a render problem, I don't know. Why am I getting to this conclusion? The "Doll" nuke bomb from Chaos UT, has the same problem with his own maps too, and it's lightning is Lightning/Hue/Saturation = 255/0/0, and the LightningRadius is 255. If I set LightningRadius to 0, then most of the problems are solved, and if it is set to 255, it makes UT stop responding during some maps:
Before:
Shot0004.jpg
After (the :noidea :omfg: ):
ScreenWTF.jpg
And UT stops responding during this last screen... :sad2:

Is this a render problem, map problem or dynamic light problem?
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Re: Critical Error

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

yes it is a render fault, but it can only be solved by toning down the brightness and possibly the size of the blast, also it is showing a BSP check which seems to have failed, you also have to take into account that any tiny BSP hole in any custom map will be affected and the UTEngine will not be able to render the texture correctly, a BSP can be so small you wouldnt notice it normally but because the explosion covers a certain area it must have a good surface to render or you get the GPF.

so in short your weapon needs to be toned down, especially the brightness, UT doesnt like overpowering light.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Yep, when I disable the big brightness effect, the UT doesn't show that screen and doesn't crash, maybe if I set the LightBrightness=245, instead of 255.

And the BSP crash, I think it is only a map correction that I have to make, as on the official maps, that doesn't happen.
And I can't make the size of the blast smaller, because it is to be really like that, a big huge powerfull blast. :noidea

Thank You for Help :wink: :gj: :tu:
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

np, but i would suggest the light brightness be no more than 180, that is still very bright and the radius no higher than 200.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

I will try that then (not now, later), and I will give some feedback. :wink: