Remake of UT99?

Discussions about UT99
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Remake of UT99?

Post by Creavion »

papercoffee wrote:I don't understand....

Epic doesn't care about the game UT, but care about the UT source?
You can't buy UT anymore. So why?
Huh? Of course you still can buy ut.. STEAM! Epic still make cash with his oldies. And they dont give the source away - unlike ID with the older engines codes - because they are - from what I know - afraid that somebody could power up the engine itself to UENGINE 3 level or something like that. I can not confirm that, but it seems highly possible.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Creavion wrote:Huh? Of course you still can buy ut.. STEAM! Epic still make cash with his oldies. And they dont give the source away - unlike ID with the older engines codes - because they are - from what I know - afraid that somebody could power up the engine itself to UENGINE 3 level or something like that. I can not confirm that, but it seems highly possible.
That's indeed the reason, EPIC fears, that with the source code of UT (Build 432/436) anyone has the ability, if mostly unlikely, but possible, to surpass possibilities and features of UDK and Unreal Engine 3.

That's also why I do not expect any assistance getting the possibility for distributing UE 1 in binary compiled form to make the UT SDK indipendent, because that'd mean direct competition to UDK. Both are Free, both have their Pros and Cons, both use modern technology, both use Unreal Engine. The SDK already reaches partially UE 3 functionality, AND is Open Source, while UDK isn't ... additionally, EPIC throws out Updates made by themselves. Regarding the SDK anyone may come to me and request or ask for patches, fixes and new features, thus Updates are community-driven rather than Developer-driven.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Creavion wrote:

Huh? Of course you still can buy ut.. STEAM! Epic still make cash with his oldies. And they dont give the source away - unlike ID with the older engines codes - because they are - from what I know - afraid that somebody could power up the engine itself to UENGINE 3 level or something like that. I can not confirm that, but it seems highly possible.
What?? I didn't noticed! Really... UT over steam??? wow .... :confused2:
I know about UT3 buy-able in steam but not UT99 .....hm?
NME
Novice

Post by NME »

i just wish it did happen!

ut99 revamp would be sweet, it would get nailed, xbox, ps3 and PC, it would have massive potential across the board imo.

its simply simple but advanced, and brilliant!
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

I once thought of remaking all the UT99 weapons and other items for UT3 with extremely minor visual updates, but I think a complete remake of the whole game would be extremely hard and, perhaps, "extremely illegal" to the eyes of EPIC.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Personally, I like UT99 the way it is.
I have always loved playing it and still do, just like the first week I played it!
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

There's nothing wrong with what is technically the UT netcode (besides some overhead in the control channel communication. You could easily get rid of 4 bytes in every control channel packet). The real networking issues in UT are not related to the netcode but to higher level mechanisms such as actor replication and (the lack of) lag mitigation. There are a whole bunch of default actors (such as playerpawns, effects, projectiles, ...) that have a netupdatefrequency that could be reduced without affecting the players' perception of the game. This would also eliminate a lot of client<->server traffic. A lot (if not all) of this can be done in pure uscript without rewriting the game though. I believe EUT has a lot of these "netcode" enhancements. The biggest problem as I see it is the lack of decent lag mitigation systems though. A lot of games have a mod like Unlagged built-in to their core. Unlagged predicts the effects of weapon fire on the client side (eg: weapons will look like they're firing even when the server hasn't confirmed it yet) and the server takes the client's latency into account when it's calculating hits (determining wether or not the player has hit something).

Then about epic not "caring" about UT, I seriously don't think that that's true. I believe some of their employees have mentioned on the epic forums that UT is still one of their best selling games (thanks to steam). They're also still hosting the UT masterserver, even after 11 years. If they truly didn't care about their game anymore then this server would've gone down a long time ago.

What is a fact is that it doesn't look like they'll be handing out the sourcecode again. They've never made an official statement about this but I've heard several people on the inside saying that it's very unlikely because:
* The guy who handled these community projects (OldUnreal, UTPG) no longer works for epic
* They don't support Unreal Engine 1 anymore (as in you can't buy a UE1 license anymore)
* They're not exactly happy about how things turned out with UTPG

Personally the whole UTPG situation also makes me very sad. The v440 and v451 patches were very promising. The only downside for me is that they broke Unreal Editor. For the other claims about the UTv451 patch (graphical glitches, rendering bugs and horrible performance) I have never seen any proof. All of the UTGLR renderers by Chris Dohnal render the game flawlessly, even in v451. The performance claims are partially true. Resource usage on the serverside did indeed go up, especially on servers where a lot of players connect during the course of the came. This decrease in resource usage was entirely justified though because v440/451 protect your server against a LOT of exploits. Performance on the clientside going down is not true at all. I've reverse engineered and rewritten a LOT of Core/Engine.dll for personal use and the only thing that changed to the performance critical code is the fact that UTv451 uses an extra compiler optimizations that in fact increases performance.

As for the future of UT, I do strongly believe that at least one more patch is needed. As you may know the game breaks horribly on multicore systems. It also contains a lot of critical bugs (mostly serverside) that allow for crashes caused by mods or attacks from the outside. The v468 patch has been sitting ready for years (4 years to be exact) but it was never released. I'm not sure how much of these bugs would have been fixed exactly as several of them still exist in the current Unreal Engine. What I do know is that it has some big changes (the MD5 protection being one of them) and that it works on MacOS X (it does have lots of unsolved bugs for this platform though). This patch might still be released but it won't come from epic.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

anth wrote: Personally the whole UTPG situation also makes me very sad. The v440 and v451 patches were very promising. The only downside for me is that they broke Unreal Editor. For the other claims about the UTv451 patch (graphical glitches, rendering bugs and horrible performance) I have never seen any proof.
PROOF: :thuup:

RTNP Weapons pack:

Nali Weapons (the weapons I developed myself):

People with v451 always get this bug in these 2 weapon packs and some other mods (forced masking), and once they revert back to v436, everything gets fixed. It looks like since both RTNP as my weapons use "pure black" in some places (RGB:0,0,0), v451 forces that particular color to be masked (perhaps they did it on purpose since some trees don't get masked properlly using v436, just assuming).

So as for graphical glitches and rendering bugs you can't say they're claims anymore :tongue: , as for horrible performance, I never saw that either to I give that one the benefit of the doubt. :noidea
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Unreal Engine 1.5 is capable of a HELL OF A LOT MORE than what was done in UT99. I would link you to a youtube video showcasing it, but it was taken down years ago due to copyright issues. The demo had some textures from UT99 in it, but HOLYSHIT! the thing had barely an resemblence to UT99 with 3D animated grass and all the fancy tech you would expect today, it was kinda like somewhere between UT2k4 and UT3. Also UT99 is still available both in Unreal Anthology and a stand-alone Steam version.
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Anyone knows where I can download the patch 468?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Nope, but I do know you can ask at OldUnreal to betatest patch 469 ;)
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

A 10 year bump in post dates and not a Papercoffee response, I'm disappointed :tongue:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I was at work and didn't notice it ...

@Ubir4 another thread resurrected just for a question which could be answered here viewtopic.php?p=115004#p115004 ???
There is no 468, google would have told you that very quickly.

Oh btw. =CLOSED=