servers loading time

Discussions about UT99
okeee
Novice

servers loading time

Post by okeee »

unreal tournament v436, win xp

When I previously connect to a server, it would immediately display the message: "receiving file.." and start loading. But for a while now, when connecting to any server, I have to wait about 2 min, and the only message: "connecting to server", and then after 2 min, message: connection failed. Then I have to reconnect and then it starts receiving files. It's not a huge problem but it didn't use to connect this way.

another problem: I like to play on one of killerbee's servers, but when you join their server, all of their servers (about 8) are automatically copied to the favorites list, which I hate. I don't want to manually remove every killerbee server every time I join their server. So how do I avoid this?
gopostal

Re: servers loading time

Post by gopostal »

KB is a great friend of mine, but you should copy this to him. I *hate* that also as well as many other players. It completely messes up my server checker I leave on my desktop and clutters up my favorites with servers I don't care about. It's a pain to have to manually remove them every time I want to play on his servers.

Ethically I think it is wrong to alter someone's game like this and I wish it would be looked upon more negatively by the admin community. KB is a really nice guy but I don't think he understands how much this pisses people off and has the opposite effect of keeping people away.
okeee
Novice

Post by okeee »

Ok I'll ask then, maybe it helps, and maybe others could join me? How can I best message KB?
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

If the server has nexgen and is using the nexgen X plugin and also has a large amount of maps the server travel goes really slow. I hope this helps ;) I had to disable nexgen X to stop the slow server travel
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
okeee
Novice

Post by okeee »

Anyone has an idea about the first problem? Could it be due to an win xp update?
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Mine does that too from time to time. I keep a vanilla installation backed up and I just overwrite my play installation, deleting cache and everything. You have to take the files again but its a good thing to keep your install fresh.
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

okeee wrote:Anyone has an idea about the first problem? Could it be due to an win xp update?
Deactivate your antivirus. If it works, don't guard UT folder anymore.

okeee wrote:
another problem: I like to play on one of killerbee's servers, but when you join their server, all of their servers (about 8) are automatically copied to the favorites list, which I hate. I don't want to manually remove every killerbee server every time I join their server. So how do I avoid this?
Caused by Nexgen ServerAffiliates Plugin. Contact Killerbee for deactivating it.
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
okeee
Novice

Post by okeee »

I just contacted killerbee, and as I suspected he said I was the only one complaining while 100 are ok with it..

So if anyone else is annoyed by this, send him a message, it may help.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

I Think that's effed up.. auto adding servers to your fav list like that. who the hell are these admins who think they have a right to alter your ut settings? Should be illegal and frowned upon!
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
okeee
Novice

Post by okeee »

I have stopped playing at that server. It's a fun server but I really hate it to remove all those servers after playing there.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

okeee wrote:I have stopped playing at that server. It's a fun server but I really hate it to remove all those servers after playing there.
I am going to contact him. If there are things I hate in servers are "fake players" and "auto favorites additions" which you don't want. If you like a server you place in your favorites, if don't, well, then you don't. I never noticed that since I use either xfire for that effect or I just go to sites like gametracker (to get the direct IP) or ut-slv (since they have a very easy "join game" function and the servers are updated more frequently and accuratelly than gametracker). So I never use the UT browser itself to save favorites (there would be too many servers anyway lol).

So things like "auto favorites" and "fake players" just get people away instead of keeping them, but some admins don't realize that.
killerbee
Novice

Post by killerbee »

The mod works very good.. if i tell u that more people that visit
my servers are comming back.. and say even "cool" we like it

I was suprised that i received (just one) for taking the
service off.

I feel sorry that i harm some with its this is not my intention.
and never was / is .

I will do an investigation in the community, and take action
when needed.

i think that everyone has sad his/her things about it now

grtzz

KB
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

KillerBee you are a first rate admin, run some great servers, and do a hell of a lot to keep the community going. I think it's a respect for you that stops people from directly complaining about it to you, at least it is for me.

My problem with writing to someone's ini file isn't so much that it adds favorites, it's the fact that it even exists at all without peer pressure to stop it. That same code could be changed to read your ini and extract your passwords that are saved there, write other "entries" into the ini, or even tunnel into the host computer (though bandwidth prevents this).

I was involved in some coding work helping with clanmanager in UT2004 back in the day. One guy was able to use UScript and tunnel into my host computer and tell me a listing of my C: drive files using this sort of coding (as a test). Once you establish that link, nothing stops a really skilled coder from poking around. You've bypassed the firewall, router, everything. It never ceases to amaze me that more people haven't used this to screw around more than has happened.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

That just goes to show you what an honorable bunch UT admins and coders are. :loool:

And even when UT was in its heyday, the number of players probably wasn't enough
to make it worth the effort for the "Blackhats" to setup UT servers with that kind of
stuff running on them.

Back on topic, perhaps if KillerBee setup the server so it only added the server you have
connected to into favorites instead of all of them, people might not mind as much.

Would be a bit less intrusive that way.... Just a thought.
blarg
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Feralidragon mentioned "Fake Players"...
I have seen servers that show players playing on it but they are really bots!
That sucks too!
Is that some sort of mod or setting or something?
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777