unreal editor error problem

Discussions about UT99
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: unreal editor error problem

Post by FraGnBraG »

LOL :) This thing's not that big. It looks like you have 1 big zone. I assume CTF? So you'll be flipping it? That will give you ~2500 brushes - Nothing to crazy there, but too much for 1 zone. Some of my maps are 3000-5000 brushes and they build and work fine, but they use 50-64 zones. From what I see you can easily zone the map into several sections. By chopping it into zones you will help performance emensly, providing you do it correctly. Assuming the PPV is amoung the buildings (from street to perhaps a few lower rooftops, and not flying, you altready have plenty of BSP-view blocking available, however you must zone the map.

Note - "build visible actors" affects only "hidden" brushes and actors (most of them). For example you make a builder room for prefabs, then assign it's brushes to a group, then hide the group, set "build only visible actors" and build - the hidden stuff is not included in the compile. Very handy.

Printing the log dump on your screen is useless - that's not the whole thing. Copy the file called editor.log (in unrealtournament system folder) and send as a attachment.

Good luck.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Okay, never mind - I didn't see the latest posts - I d'ld your map and will rebuild it now
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

tried a bunch of things, no luck - imo, it's too much geometry in one space - I would suggest build it in smaller separate sections that can be properly zoned. You can't build "one-world" type maps (like in GTA or fallout) in UT99, sorry. Oh, semi solid doesn't help the problem either. Sorry :noidea
Happy New Years anyways...
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

Map is now fixed and released. This thread can be closed/ locked.

Also thanks for helping FragNBrag :gj:
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Final looks the same as the other one - What did you do to fix it? Since I spent some time to help you I'd like to know what you ended up doing... share what you learn man (pm me if you want)
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

Ok what i did was build bsp and lighting only. i didnt rebuild geometry so i made sure i didnt need any of the copy and pasted brushes. looks like everything turned out fine in the end.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

ahh - so you didn't do a full build! so it must have crapped when it was trying to optimize - still think it's a lot for one zone, but it obviously works :) The wonders of UE1... thanks
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

A full build should NEVER be the usual way of rebuilding the map structure, actually the "full build" should be your last resort to fix annoying BSP problems.

Use always the seperate builds: BSP, lighting and paths.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

Feralidragon wrote:A full build should NEVER be the usual way of rebuilding the map structure, actually the "full build" should be your last resort to fix annoying BSP problems.

Use always the seperate builds: BSP, lighting and paths.
Lol really? i always used full build.

btw what does "Apply selected lights/lights to selected zone descriptors only" do?
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

>@tack!< wrote:btw what does "Apply selected lights/lights to selected zone descriptors only" do?
FORGET THAT. Thats BS!
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

I usually start out that way (g + l + p) but end up having to full build, usually around the time the thing hits around 700-800 brushes. I also tend to use a lot of curves, radials, prefabs and 2dse stuff...
Maybe we should start a new discussion thread regarding current thinking/practices on "compiling" maps etc... I for one wouldn't mind discovering what folks around here think or know about it - i have my theories/knowledge on the subject, going way back, not always correct, mind you, but generally based in experience and the experience of others. Thinking always changes with new sources of info, and i have quite an open mind...
Cheers
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

FraGnBraG wrote:Maybe we should start a new discussion thread regarding current thinking/practices on "compiling" maps etc...
Just do it? I would be curious as well. :tongue:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.