Oh, Hey Anth.
Nice to see you here.
Thanks for the news and thanks for taking care of UA! :thuup:
* * * Image * * *
anth
Adept

Re: UnrealAdmin.Org down?

Post by anth »

There will be some more downtime soonish (or now even by the looks of it). Cleaning up the harddrive and updating the software didn't resolve all the problems so MPUK is reinstalling the entire server.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Thanks for the heads up. It's nice to know it's in good hands now. I hope everything is salvageable!
So long, and thanks for all the fish
azazel
Novice

Post by azazel »

Although this thread is as ancient as can be I thought it worthwhile updating for any future reference. I only came across it because I thought I would have a google of unrealadmin and see what was kicking about :-)

First things first ... if anything at all ever happens with unrealadmin.org, any errors or problems you can pm me on here or email me directly - azazel@unrealadmin.org.

Although it is not really actively used much these days (except for stupid spam bots occasionally) I still know it is a hell of a resource and as such it will always have a hosted home.

Any questions give me a shout. Nice to see that this old game still has communities kicking around :tu: :gj:

-MERGED-

With regards hosting, the site has once again moved so it could be consolidated.

I've taken the opportunity to enable Cloudflare for caching and https.

With moves obviously come more fun as yes, the forum software is as old as the hills so some errors are coming out the woodwork with the PHP version upgrade. I'm doing my best to knock them out and for the most part, everything works fine.
Last edited by papercoffee on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post
The Unreal Admins Page - the resource for unreal admins
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hi azazel,

Please refrain from double posting within a 24 hours limit.

Good to hear, did you get rid of all the spambotter?
azazel
Novice

Post by azazel »

papercoffee wrote:Hi azazel,

Please refrain from double posting within a 24 hours limit.

Good to hear, did you get rid of all the spambotter?
As it is not massively active I've enabled moderator approval of user accounts.
Have also just installed an Akismet spam detection plugin which should help.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

azazel wrote: As it is not massively active I've enabled moderator approval of user accounts.
:tu:

...we had also our good share of spambots the last weeks.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

papercoffee wrote:
azazel wrote: As it is not massively active I've enabled moderator approval of user accounts.
:tu:

...we had also our good share of spambots the last weeks.

I can remember last year or beginning this year this site was also under atack. It had something to do with the security files of this forum.
There are bunche bots or programmers and hackers trying to do something with websites and forums.
Most of them has ddos flare protection wich is maby the best protection.

https://www.cloudflare.com/
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

rjmno1 wrote:Most of them has ddos flare protection wich is maby the best protection.
DDoS is not the problem for forums usually - scripted registration and posting messages ("bots") are the evil things. (Since I have the Sortables Captcha, I did not have a single spam registration nor spam messages. Try it! ;))
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Barbie wrote:
rjmno1 wrote:Most of them has ddos flare protection wich is maby the best protection.
DDoS is not the problem for forums usually - scripted registration and posting messages ("bots") are the evil things. (Since I have the Sortables Captcha, I did not have a single spam registration nor spam messages. Try it! ;))
lol barbie does anyone goes thru that?Add the correct names from the bots to the other side.
Well they can try a captscha also for this forum.I dont know if it is save.
klik on the traffic lights, klik on the cars and now the busses lol :loool:
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Welcome azazel.
It is always useful to have other site owners from important sites say hello.
An alternative way to make contact is very handy if your site is down, though with your new setup we shouldn't need to worry about that so much eh.

We still get attempted signups from bots, but since I changed the list of UT related questions we have instead of a captcha, they only get as far as that (for the time being).
Once they are worked out by someone and shared with SEO spammers we will simply change them again.
It will take many signups to work out all the randomised questions, as I have made the list bigger and limited users to only 3 failed attempts.
The questions all relate to basic UT facts so are easy to search for if you don't know, and some relate to the portal of this site, so you can also go find the info you need very easily.
3 attempts should be enough, though we could go back to 5 now the list is bigger.

I was outvoted on having the question "Who is the coolest moderator in this site ?"
Pfffft :pfff:

We could use an external captcha system but they can also present a privacy issue depending on who provides them. Google own reCaptcha and even use that to harvest data about you. Without knowing more about the ones we have access to I think we will be sticking to UT related questions for a while.
Power107
Average
Personal rank: Soon to be non-activ

Post by Power107 »

Dr.Flay wrote:Welcome azazel.
An alternative way to make contact is very handy if your site is down, though with your new setup we shouldn't need to worry about that so much eh.

We still get attempted signups from bots, but since I changed the list of UT related questions we have instead of a captcha, they only get as far as that (for the time being).
Once they are worked out by someone and shared with SEO spammers we will simply change them again.
It will take many signups to work out all the randomised questions, as I have made the list bigger and limited users to only 3 failed attempts.
The questions all relate to basic UT facts so are easy to search for if you don't know, and some relate to the portal of this site, so you can also go find the info you need very easily.
3 attempts should be enough, though we could go back to 5 now the list is bigger.

I was outvoted on having the question "Who is the coolest moderator in this site ?"

We could use an external captcha system but they can also present a privacy issue depending on who provides them. Google own reCaptcha and even use that to harvest data about you. Without knowing more about the ones we have access to I think we will be sticking to UT related questions for a while.
Using UT related questions to prevent spam is a cool idea.
BTW, my answer for the question "Who is the coolest moderator in this site ?" will be papercoffee ofc :D But I think all mods are cool :mrgreen:
My recent level:
DM-Amazonia16
azazel
Novice

Post by azazel »

Dr.Flay wrote:Welcome azazel.
Thanks for that. I'm a bit gutted that I had never stopped around here before. Not going to lie though, I think like a lot of people life takes you away and it's been a good 12+ years since I was active in the community.
Dr.Flay wrote:We still get attempted signups from bots, but since I changed the list of UT related questions we have instead of a captcha, they only get as far as that (for the time being).

I thought about the effort putting into sorting something out and then I realised it would just be better to make new users moderated. It's not like the old days and I would be surprised if there is a new user more than once a month.
I did the like the UT fact question though. Nicely done :-)
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Power107 wrote: BTW, my answer for the question "Who is the coolest moderator in this site ?" will be papercoffee ofc :D
Awwww thanks.

Still no double posts. :satan:
Power107
Average
Personal rank: Soon to be non-activ

Post by Power107 »

papercoffee wrote: ...Still no double posts. :satan:
ACHTUNG-I choose you as the best mod due to merit...You have taught me a lot of new stuff since I joined this forum, also GexGecho is an honorable mention as when he locked my strange thread: it gained a lot more views than I expected :gj: :tu: :mrgreen:
My recent level:
DM-Amazonia16