skins & maps & models...oh my

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

skins & maps & models...oh my

Post by EvilGrins »

If there was ever one piece of advice I could give, that could cover those mentioned in the subject line and everything else under the sun, it is this: MAKE SURE THE STUFF YOU CREATE HAS ORIGINAL FILE NAMES!

To put it another way, why is it every 3rd mapper has to name their texture file 'MyLevel.utx'?

I've been playing Unreal since it came out, admittedly I started with UT99, and I've lost bucketloads of skins & maps & what-have-yous because for whatever reason whoever made them felt the need to use identical file names to everybody else. I dunno what causes this, some sense of inner-superiority in their creators or a major clusterfuck (pardon my French) from the collective unconciousness, but I'd like to think that with just a smidgen of effort people can make original file names.

I wouldn't mind at all to see textures named Bob.utx or Gertrude.utx (not that this is limited to texture files) or anything that nobody else was using. With the wide range of languages out there you'd think this would happen less often...but trust me, it doesn't.

Have a nice day!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: skins & maps & models...oh my

Post by Metalfist »

EvilGrins wrote:To put it another way, why is it every 3rd mapper has to name their texture file 'MyLevel.utx'?
Because you use Mylevel to include textures in your map (so there isn't a .utx file -> That's included in the map, so you can never lose it)
Only some mappers dont know how to do this/how it works and they click save as Mylevel and creates the Mylevel.utx file (which he shouldn't do). That's why they all have that same name.
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:MyLevel