UT99 GOTY VSync Problems

Discussions about UT99
LLLookAtYouHacker
Novice

UT99 GOTY VSync Problems

Post by LLLookAtYouHacker »

At the beginning I had delay problems with my mouse, so akin to common suggestion I activated VSync via the UnrealTournament.ini. This worked, but then I discovered this provoked the commonly mentioned speed problems, which cause the game to slow down/speed up randomly during gameplay.

I also discovered this caused screen tearing, which is exactly what VSync is apparently used for. I've also tried using OpenGL Support, but it's exactly the same and presents screen tearing regardless of VSync's deactivation.

I have installed UT99 GOTY via Steam, and chosen to use Direct3D, as currently it's the only installation option that reduces the screen tearing without VSync. This still doesn't fix the mouse delay problem though. Here are my details...

Operating System = Windows Vista, 64 Bit
Processors = Intel Core Quad CPU.
Display Adaptor = ATI Radeon HD 5770.
Currently Available Memory = 292GB.

Thank you for any help you have to offer.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: UT99 GOTY VSync Problems

Post by FraGnBraG »

nowadays always keep vsync on - FR is clamped at 60 fps (btw, human eyes can only track ~75 fps anyways, so having a timedemo of 300-400 fps because vsync is off doesn't really mean anything)
the problem with the speeding up and slowing down when going around corners and up ramps etc is fixed by setting your video-card driver to "highest quality" texture rendering rather than "best performance". you can set this on your desktop usually using the Nvidea or ATI driver applet (it's usually a slider in the driver properties)
I do not know about the mouse - perhaps check the mouse driver and "sensitivity" in the game preferences.
let us know if you still have the speedup problem...
good luck
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Use this configs for the delay problems with my mouse http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... Config.rar
After that if u have a problem of speed for the game: change down this value FrameRateLimit=180.
The UT all patched optimised http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... hp?f=4&t=7
LLLookAtYouHacker
Novice

medor wrote:Use this configs for the delay problems with my mouse http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... Config.rar
After that if u have a problem of speed for the game: change down this value FrameRateLimit=180.
The UT all patched optimised http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... hp?f=4&t=7
This definitly helped, the only problem now is that the introduction video is non-existant. Is it just a matter of changing one of the many new ini. configurations?
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

MOST LIKELY he has removed this entry
[URL]
Protocol=unreal
ProtocolDescription=Unreal Protocol
Name=Player
Map=Index.unr
LocalMap=CityIntro.unr
from the UnrealTournament.ini. Nothing wrong with that.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
LLLookAtYouHacker
Novice

Creavion wrote:MOST LIKELY he has removed this entry
[URL]
Protocol=unreal
ProtocolDescription=Unreal Protocol
Name=Player
Map=Index.unr
LocalMap=CityIntro.unr
from the UnrealTournament.ini. Nothing wrong with that.
That did it. Thank you for all your help :)
Hermskii
Average
Personal rank: Secret Administrator

Post by Hermskii »

Just wondering... were all of these problems on a desktop or a laptop? Don't bother. I just looked up your video card and answered the question myself.
chicken-

Post by chicken- »

"nowadays always keep vsync on - FR is clamped at 60 fps (btw, human eyes can only track ~75 fps anyways, "

Framerate clamped at 60? Maybe if you're @60hz and have vsync on...otherwise there is no limit that I'm aware of, although going over 150 or so makes the game go too fast or stutter/tear.

I can certainly see more than 75FPS, what people don't take into account is, even if the human eye can only "detect" x amount of frames, that doesn't mean that looking at 120fps isn't going to appear SMOOTHER to your eyes! It's not like those 75fps are synched with your eyes, the more frames per second, the smoother it is, period. In the CRT days I had monitors that would do 60/75/85/100/120 Refresh Rates. I could clearly see the difference in smoothness between even 100 and 120 so either I have amazing eyes or everybody else is "in the dark" since they've never seen a good monitor in action.

I'm so tired of hearing people say 60fps is all people can see, those people clearly have never owned a 120hz monitor.

Anyway, the best setup I have is d3d9 with 125fps limit set (on 120hz LCD), you can also set NVIDIA's renderaheadlimit to 1 or 2 to increase mouse responsiveness. If you play on servers that run ACE anti-cheat, you should type this command in console: mutate ace highperftoggle (it should say TRUE in the chat box, reconnect and UT should run smoother online now).