Does the ripper suck or does it not suck?

Discussions about UT99

The ripper...

is awesome. Nuff said! (your opinion however is welcome)
58%
just sucks, because ... (your opinion here)
15%
is ok, I am not really sure what to think about it.
27%

Total votes: 26

Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Does the ripper suck or does it not suck?

Post by Myth »

The ripper is a situational weapon. Just like the biorifle and pulse gun. Don't compare these with the 5 real guns. Situational weapons are not the kind of weapons you normally want to attack. The ripper and biorifle are sometimes worse than a simple enforcer.

Usually it is used to spam those razorblades in planar flatwall rooms with several players. If all heads are aligned on the same xy plane it gets you cheap kills.
If you know someone is coming trough a tight corridor to get you can at least get a few hits on him with razor.
Secondary is good for crowd control. If you get shot by it, it breaks your aim and pushes you around. You don't want to get pushed around when you try to get the flag in CTF-EternalCave. The secondary can also easily take down redeemer missiles if they are close to surface since it has a nice blast radius.

Some other weapons:

Biorifle is used for getaways. They won't run into your slime if they do they'll die trying. Just spam in on the floor and you can get away with you 5 hit points.
Biorifle also works if you rush into another playerfight. As long as they don't see where you are, you can land some quite awesome stealthy instakills. Or just kill yourself to take him down. Just keep that alt-fire charged every second. Instakills are always better for your health.

The pulsegun is comparable to the minigun. It's like an underpowerred minigun. The minigun is always a better choice than pulsegun primiary. It's more useful than the previous two in general fights. It's best if you spam it down the right direction or small corridors. However the secondary is a constant instant precise short-range damage. It's used in those situations when you can't land a clear shot because the target is floating around. Think dm-morpheus. Simply the best gun over there. Rocket laucher is useless if the player is not near a surface. Also great underwater and any kind of reduced gravity fields where unlucky shock/sniper hitscans get you dead. But if you can land all primary hits it deals more damage than secondary.

The other five weapons are quite straight forward. Some more useful in other situations but they have no penalties in general mid-range arena fights. Any weapon can deal incredible damage when used well. But you do need some aiming skills to use the shock rifle and sniper rifle.

Also, I <3 the ripper. Please delete any threads that questions its usefulness.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

How can you not like a weapon that enables you to get headshots via ricochet ?

Very useful on a number of Assault maps.
blarg
Hermskii
Average
Personal rank: Secret Administrator

Post by Hermskii »

Pros:

It kills Brutes and Gasbags via head-shots faster than any other weapon when playing Monster Hunt. The alt-fire does not cause Skaarj to auto-dodge and will freeze them in place and keep them from approaching any further as long as you don't miss. And to be able to do it (hit opponents) around corners via ricochet makes it one of the coolest weapons ever! Did I mention how cool the blades sounds when they come flying back past you? Yeah! Awesome sound effects too!

Cons:

Short straight hallways often cause self inflicted head-shots! LOL. Sucks when that happens!
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

^ What he said.

It is IMHO a very useful weapon if used correctly.
As far as the self inflicted head-shots, that really works perfect I think.
Forces you to think about things before you shoot. Automatically curbs razor spam.
blarg
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

LOL Mr Loathesome! - A good comment by you also! :lol:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

Unless you manage to kill yourself, this weapon simply rocks! Headshot part is really great and could even end an army of crappy things around you :)
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

Its my favorite weapon in Monsterhunt. It makes the most damage with headshots. And since monsters are mostly easy (and big) targets, this weapon is just great. Made me the best player in matches many times. :)
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

the only critic I have on this weapon its alternative fire. It is to weak for my taste ...
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

It's unique. It's the only weapon that can kill around corners. In maps with lots of corridors, you can rack up double and triple kills. The alt fire is too slow, but those primary fire blades!!

Todd
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Check its name, my friend. Is it called Sucker, or Ripper?

Suckers suck, Rippers rip. So no, it doesn't suck and probably never will without major reconstruction/redesign of the weapon.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Delacroix wrote:
Check its name, my friend. Is it called Sucker, or Ripper?

Suckers suck, Rippers rip. So no, it doesn't suck and probably never will without major reconstruction/redesign of the weapon.
So a minigun is a tiny weapon? So the eightball has eight balls?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

So a minigun is a tiny weapon? So the eightball has eight balls?
Sorta, yeah. The Minigun should be at least twice the size for a namechange. And Eightball... come on. I always thought it was created as an artificial copy of a Titan's $#%@... hence the number of balls. :D