Does the ripper suck or does it not suck?

Discussions about UT99

The ripper...

is awesome. Nuff said! (your opinion however is welcome)
58%
just sucks, because ... (your opinion here)
15%
is ok, I am not really sure what to think about it.
27%

Total votes: 26

Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Does the ripper suck or does it not suck?

Post by Creavion »

I know, such threads usually do not fit me (rather this user:the evil grins), but by way of exception I would like to know about what you think about ... the awesome or stupid useless ripper?

Not much to tell about it.
Unreal has/had it. In the Unreal Tournament and/or Unreal Championship series it is mostly missing. It only returned as name fusion in UC2 as the "Ripjack" (Razorjack + Ripper). However it is possible, that Epic only added it to get 4 explosive weapons together (since even a grenade launcher was added). Anyway. Most mappers hate this thing, enough of them do not place it in their maps, or only if anything else is already added.

For my part: I really feel it is too underpowered.
Last edited by Creavion on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
iloveut99
Skilled

Re: Does the ripper suck or does it not suck?

Post by iloveut99 »

Biorifle is even worse imo.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Only use i find for the ripper is damaging the core in siege, if you aim at thr right area of it does alot of damage.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

In comparison with the Razorjack, the Ripper offers at least two different fire modes. I was extremely disappointed when I first discovered the Razorjack's secondray fire, and in reverse, I was delighted about the Ripper's secondray fire. However, the Ripper is weaker, and in UT even more useless than the Razorjack in Unreal, where its only strong point lies in dealing stronger headshot damage.

Creavion, why did you link to EvilGrins' profile instead of calling his name? Don't disrespect him!
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I play Siege and sometimes regular weapons and I must say that the ripper is very powerful as a weapon.
In Siege, like SJA94 said, it does a great deal of damage if fired at a high enough place (this because all the buildings in siege subclass from Pawn, so technically you can "headshot" buildings), but in maps like Bathrooms some players use it together to seal the entrance to the base by firing lots of blades to the large corridor, where the enemies will often get "headshoted" or damaged.

Perhaps the secondary fire of the ripper isn't that great, but the first firemode is very powerful if used properly, has a relatively high firerate, you can headshot with it and you don't have to face the enemy directly by doing so, you can just spam it around. I must admit I don't use it much (mainly because I am mostly a sniper/rocket kinda player), but when I use it I can kill players quite easily if I keep aiming at their heads (even since it bounces from walls and such, if you don't kill "that" player, you will most likely at least hit another incoming one, that at least happens a lot with me).
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Very good point raised about this weapon.

I personally have always loved it, because I am used to bouncing shots into hard to reach places (I love the SciFi pistol and rifle in the PS game Time-Splitters)
Also I always play with the exploding ammo-packs mutator :twisted: This is the most evil way to camp!
You just aim at the ammo and wait for someone to come near it. :satan: This is particularly deadly if the ammo-box is inside a room (instant meat-grinder).

As ever this weapon (like the already covered bio-rifle) is a mixed-bag of tricks.
The Ripper is best in tight maps with corridors, or hidey-holes, where people are camping
The low power of the alt-fire explosion, is because it has a higher rate of fire than the rocket-launcher, so I think is well balanced, as you can pepper an area with lots of splash-damage. A lot of flash-n-bang can confuse or panic your enemy.

The only other bouncy ammo you can play with is the rocket alt-fire grenades or the Chaos Sniper Rifle (my favourite).
I love shooting the floor in-front of someone and "chinning" them for a head-shot.
Unfortunately no one maps with ricochet-kills in mind (would make an interesting game-type or mutator), so generally maps (and therefore people) don't use these weapons well.

If there was a mod that made ricochet head-shots super impressive (like the Chaos mêlée combat in UT2K4) then the Ripper would get maps dedicated to it.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

I said sucked but it's one of those weapons I don't use enough.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

I've never really liked it, compared to the other guns, but that said, i do include (at least one, or 1 per base) in most maps. I think for certain weapons, there should be specific areas featured where they can be used - a pillary area, or maze-like arrangement is ideal for ripper, the same way you want angled walls or structures to advantage flak splash or bouncing rockets. In the open a ripper is fkkkn useless imo, and I hate it most when ut99's faulty auto-switch override swaps my good gun out for the ripper (well, that or a hammer)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

It is under used.
I like it - I have won a number of DM matches using mainly the ripper, although it has been a while since I have played with it.
(I am kinda rusty with regular weapons as I usually play pro-redeemer now)

The Ripper works even better when you use a damage amplifier with it. (just for the ripper - upping its damage a bit)
It takes a head off (head shot) like a hot knife through butter also, even with no damage amplification. :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Creavion wrote:I know, such threads usually do not fit me (rather this user:the evil grins), but by way of exception I would like to know about what you think about ... the awesome or stupid useless ripper?
Wow, I'm almost touched.

Almost.

It's not my favorite weapon but it can be kinda fun in tight quarters if you jump and shoot and don't mind getting hit with ricochets. Get a lot of headshots that way.

It is absolutely beautiful under the Excessive mutator though!
iloveut99 wrote:Biorifle is even worse imo.
Ah yes. Ye old snot dropper.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

EvilGrins wrote:It is absolutely beautiful under the Excessive mutator though!
Agreed with that
iloveut99 wrote:Biorifle is even worse imo.
Ah yes. Ye old snot dropper.
Nope, disagree with that
Creavion wrote:I know, such threads usually do not fit me
Nope, i was even suprised that you have made this topic, but back to topic. Maybe its overpowered? Maybe it doesnt, i really love this weapon cause it can be used for just shooting only. Also grants a nice knockback alt fire and the blades ricochet, wich can be very usefull.

So my vote goes to the awesome part
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Nephew9999
Adept

Post by Nephew9999 »

is ok, I am not really sure what to think about it. :P
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

I am not a gamer like most others of you. As a mapper it seems the sniper rifle can do almost anything better, since it (the ut1 sniper) has - from what I know - the fastest firerate of all sniper rifles in the series.

In tiny areas you could argue: This is a case for the ripper, until you remember about the flak cannon.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

But making headshot with a ripper is more satisfying than with a sniper :)
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

EvilGrins wrote:It is absolutely beautiful under the Excessive mutator though!
That's all you had to say...now it's a awesome piece of weaponry.
Add a scope and this bad boy would be fun at long range.