Where to get UT99?

Discussions about UT99
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Re: Where to get UT99?

Post by Hook »

Carbon, anybody who finds what you have is always welcome, and older thread or not, is cause to reply for sure - you did good indeed! :tu:
Oh and JackG is a great guy, so you cannot go wrong dealing with him.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Carb, they won't think that at all. I've been active in UT since it's inception as a player, server admin, and developer. This account here is something of an inside joke among a couple of us but I usually use gopostal. Even if you know me only partially you've likely seen one of my numerous requests for something precisely like this to happen. Trust me, no one is going to think of you as an opportunist, more likely they will be happy that I might shut up about it. When you posted this I got an immediate flurry of PM's and emails, so trust me no one will think anything negative at all. In fact I'd consider you a damned hero as I was quietly giving up hope this might happen.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Cool, thanks Hook.

Yeah, I was pretty pleased to have found these. I cut my PC gaming teeth on these games; UT, Unreal and the like, so they mean a lot to me. I went back today and bought the guy out, except a few copies that were in pretty rough condition indeed. Everything inside would be fine, but the boxes were pretty faded and worn. Who knows, maybe I will get those too. My wife thinks I have a screw loose, but in doing this - maybe I am just being stupid here - I feel like I am preserving something kind of cool, even if only to me and a handful of like-minded folks.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

JackGriffin wrote:Carb, they won't think that at all. I've been active in UT since it's inception as a player, server admin, and developer. This account here is something of an inside joke among a couple of us but I usually use gopostal. Even if you know me only partially you've likely seen one of my numerous requests for something precisely like this to happen. Trust me, no one is going to think of you as an opportunist, more likely they will be happy that I might shut up about it. When you posted this I got an immediate flurry of PM's and emails, so trust me no one will think anything negative at all. In fact I'd consider you a damned hero as I was quietly giving up hope this might happen.
Thanks mate. As I said, I have been lurking on these old UT / Unreal forums for years, but never felt I had anything to contribute. Not that I am a complete bonehead, but there are many who clearly are more capable of dealing Q&As than I, so I just never registered.

Anyhow, email on the way.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Alight, well I can't resist posting this pic...a kind of pron for some, I'm sure. ;)

Interesting thing is there are slight variations in the boxes. 2 to be precise; first, a missing picture on the spine in 4 of them and a slightly different outline on the "Epic Games" logo (white outline on the same 4). They are all numbered by Samsung and the 4 that have no picture are a higher number. I suppose this was a second issuing? Just guessing. I didn't open the "newer" ones, but it would be interesting to know if the game version is higher. The boxes with the picture on the spine are version 400. The clear stickers that seal the top and bottom lids shut are brittle and many have just broken, so maybe I could get into one of them and compare versions.

EDIT: Well, duh; the CDs are shrink-wrapped inside the boxes, so I can't check the versions.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Carbon wrote:I am no opportunist and didn't join these forums to sell stuff
No problem ...this is a great find!
And don't sweat it!...PMs are preferred for discussions totally unrelated* to any section of this board. (we have even a Off-topic section too)

*Like swearing or name-calling or rant and rave at the mods and admins :wink:

But we don't like double posts ...please avoid it next time !!
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

No double posting....got it. Didn't know I did that...must have hit the wrong button after the edit.

Anyways, I am curious if anyone has come up with any other leads on boxed retail versions. As I said in my first post here, I had been looking for a few days with Google, which brought me to this thread, but I didn't find much. Maybe my Goggle-fu isn't what I like to think it is, but I found some on Ebay, but only a couple that were unopened retail. I guess why I am asking is I am wondering about general availability of the game in boxed retail. I realize the game itself isn't rare by any stretch, but unopened boxes in good shape...? If I hang on to a couple for another decade, well, then I may really have something!
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

A lot depends on the market. UT is a rather specific game in a specific genre and that's why the price (when you find a game) has stayed fairly static over the years. I'm sure opportunities will exist down the road when someone wants to relive their youth but overall my guess is that it's not going to be a windfall. You might double or triple your money but eventually UT will suffer from that dreaded disease of discarded media.

For example, the very first computer game I got hooked on was called "Corncob". It was a flight simulator that ran in DOS. Horrible graphics, but it just sucked me in. I could never finish the last couple of missions so I began experimenting with making code alterations then running the game. It was my first modding attempts and once I started to make changes I was playing for hours and writing my own missions.

The bad thing is that Corncob is on a 3.5 inch disk. I don't have a computer in the house any longer that has that drive so I can't even load it up any more. Eventually this same thing will happen with CD's since solid state is growing as an option and most games are moving towards pure downloads anyway. I can see a future that is CD and perhaps even DVD-less with jump drives becoming the archiver of choice. When that happens then the UT disk is really just a desk novelty and the price will reflect that.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Thanks for your thoughts mate.

No, I don't expect a windfall, and didn't pick them up for that reason. Guys like you are the reason actually! Besides what I am sending you, I am also going to hook up some other fans that I actually don't "know". I bought these to spread some UT lovin', that's all. :)

I will hang on to a couple though. Never know...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote: The bad thing is that Corncob is on a 3.5 inch disk. I don't have a computer in the house any longer that has that drive so I can't even load it up any more.
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/corncob-3d/ Image

But yeah you are right ... right now are people like me a dying breed who prefer a DVD (or CD) on his shelf Instead of some data only stored in your HDD or better in a cloud.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Dr.Flay wrote:Another dubious free source has been uploaded to MODDB
http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-tourna ... generation

I thought it was a mod for U2. it is not. it is a full UT install + Unreal.

I have advised one of the people involved, that this is a bad idea, unless it distro's as the demo, then the user can update it with the NoDelta patch.

There seems to be a lot more interest in this than normal. What the hell is going on?
I NEVER ever understood what this "mod / total conversion" is all about. Really... they take together UT and Unreal? ... big surprise... Usaar33 has made oldskool years ago and if a user already has Unreal she/he simply has to copy the Maps into the UT directory. I really don't get the point of this "mod". The "developer" of this thing always points to a paragraph given in EPIC's end license agreement, but for me this paragraph doesn't apply on their "mod".
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Sure, formats change and that's a good ting! As a kid, I used to have an early Sony Walkman cassette player, a small, 1/2 pound appliance hanging from your belt. Very not cool, in retrospect. But the people who still have those cassettes and the players they used today, that is pretty cool. I think that is the whole point of a collector and a collection. Old floppy disks are the same; some people (probably a lot of people) want to have this stuff even though it may be pretty much obsolete. Heck, I want it, and I don't think I am so unusual a person.

Those who collect tings like perhaps the first UT probably consider actually using the CDs profane; it isn't about the game, per se, which is far from rare and probably never will be. It will always exist, as papercoffee said, in the cloud or on a hard disk somewhere, so the game, the code, installing and playing it is not the point of having something like a boxed copy. It is just to sit on a shelf somewhere, to be pulled out occasionally and be fawned over, to inspire fits of nostalgia or maybe to be put in some display case.

That is my plan anyhow; have a digital copy of the game for use, but the box and CDs can serve a different purpose now. I suspect that even if CD drives go the way of the Dodo, if Epic closes shop tomorrow, if shooters go way out of style, if computers undergo some massive re-thinking and become no bigger than a playing card, retail software will be even more of a novelty. I still have a pristine retail box of Windows XP Pro that I bought the day of release in Canada. It is in a plastic bag, up in the cupboard, waiting to be cool. And it will be, one day. If not in my lifetime, then my son's; it will be a cool thing to have, despite it's being obsolete in every way.

Anyhow, we are talking about UT99 here! Who the heck wouldn't want a copy, useful or not! Damn the torpedoes! :P
Hook
Inhuman

Post by Hook »

Carbon wrote:Anyhow, we are talking about UT99 here! Who the heck wouldn't want a copy, useful or not! Damn the torpedoes! :P
Yes!!! Right On Man! :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

papercoffee wrote:
JackGriffin wrote: The bad thing is that Corncob is on a 3.5 inch disk. I don't have a computer in the house any longer that has that drive so I can't even load it up any more.
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/corncob-3d/ Image

But yeah you are right ... right now are people like me a dying breed who prefer a DVD (or CD) on his shelf Instead of some data only stored in your HDD or better in a cloud.
paper, I love you. That was SO COOL watching that video! I know it looks like crap to you young guys but that was cutting edge stuff back in the day. I remember so desperately wanting to understand how the radar worked and the enemy intelligence stuff. I was so incredibly pumped when I figured out how to make changes in the game...Man if I only knew where that was leading I'd have unplugged that damn box and went outside to play :loool:

Thanks again for that p. I'm going to install that this weekend and see if I still have wings.
Hook
Inhuman

Post by Hook »

Yeah, I remember that FSII - I used to fly all over the place on my Commodore 64 :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)