Your idea for a map, mod etc.

Discussions about UT99
Higor
Godlike

Re: Your idea for a map, mod etc.

Post by Higor »

For an AS-HiSpeed2, you could try a moving skybox.

You make a huge dome and then the rock/walls in a circuit fashion, then you make the SkyZoneInfo actor interpolate (with rotation) in that circuit, giving the illusion the train is moving in an actual landscape with turns and all, even tunnels.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Prove it ;)
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Higor wrote:For an AS-HiSpeed2, you could try a moving skybox.

You make a huge dome and then the rock/walls in a circuit fashion, then you make the SkyZoneInfo actor interpolate (with rotation) in that circuit, giving the illusion the train is moving in an actual landscape with turns and all, even tunnels.
JackGriffin wrote:Prove it ;)
How? where? WHO? ...I want to see this... :shock:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Higor wrote:For an AS-HiSpeed2, you could try a moving skybox.

I was thinking not only in the skybox, but the actual close environment moving backwards, and stuff coming from the place you're heading to (stones in the ground, plants, poles, bridges, tunnels, etc), plus some sparks coming from where the wheels touch the rails, plus a starting scripted sequence where the camera would be moving at such speed the panning textures would look stopped, to give you the notion of a moving train right from the start.
Anyway, that was the main idea (if it ever sees the light of day...).
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

This thread is semi-active, so I guess I'll present this here:

I launched the editor the other day and the word Lego popped into my head.
I decided to gather the lego tex I was aware of (David M's and LetGo.utx by Berneyboy)
Anyhow, that's where I'm at. I downloaded the only (decent) Lego map I know, David M's 1on1-lego,
and looked at a few of the ways he used the textures and bricks.

I'm open to ideas (BSP or script related, whatever) that would be cool to use with lego's before I build another generic 1on1.
I'm determined to finish something this time.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Renegade wrote: I decided to gather the lego tex I was aware of (David M's and LetGo.utx by Berneyboy)
Anyhow, that's where I'm at. I downloaded the only (decent) Lego map I know, David M's 1on1-lego...
Also good lego maps:
CTF-Legoism
SCR-Lego
CTF-24h_LegoPlayground (?)
DM-BloodyBlocks (?)
There's also a cool CTF4 lego map. I also found a MortalPlague's map which might be lego but I haven't tested it yet... (my brother is a lego-maniac).

Anyway, Renegade, maybe it would be possible to combine some of your ideas together (spinning lego map with raising lava :lol2: ). I actually planed the center platform of my ArcadeW00t to spin (or have a auto-lift in the center that would go up and down every 3 sec.)

VP idea:
NHL Rock The Rink's (PS1) announcer.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

There's a lego map for 2k4 that has destroyable houses and stuff. Very cool map.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

JackGriffin wrote:There's a lego map for 2k4 that has destroyable houses and stuff. Very cool map.
Don't you mean UT3? Or there's really another like that one for UT2k4?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Nope it was 2k4. In fact I'm going to go look for it now. It was very friggin cool stuff, lots of custom coding in it and the map was almost totally destroyable IIRC.

Edit: Damn, I never realized there were so many lego theme maps, Oi! I'm going to post as BU about it tonight Ferali. It's an old map from my days running an RPG Invasion server so it may be a little hard to find. It was a good concept though and it worked online fine but the downside was that everyone blasted the houses apart straight away and then you had to play the map full of blocks tossed around (which wasn't that fun).
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

That sounds exactly like a UT3 map I played a year ago or so. :mrgreen: The difference: the physics were native from UEngine3 (I mean, rigid bodies physics).
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I saw that map on youtube while looking for this one. Same concept, different map. I swear I remember it being one of the big coder's 2k4 maps like Angel or wormbo. Damn, now I have to know.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Renegade wrote:I'm open to ideas (BSP or script related, whatever) that would be cool to use with lego's before I build another generic 1on1.
I'm determined to finish something this time.
A few months back I busted open 3 different LEGO maps I had to get their textures for a project. I wasn't editing maps at this point yet, I had a friend re-texturize DM-HallOfGiants with LEGOs for me.

So, if you want something to do, what's your favorite map that you always wanted to be seen done in LEGOs? Do that.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:I saw that map on youtube while looking for this one. Same concept, different map. I swear I remember it being one of the big coder's 2k4 maps like Angel or wormbo. Damn, now I have to know.
I have still UT2k4 on my HDD ... if you find it I would really appreciate it if you could post a link ....I LOVE DESTRUCTIBLE LEVELS.

In the past on pre-noob state I did experiments in UEd ...and made a labyrinth out of piled wooden boxes ...5 or 6 boxes high ...the frame rate was pretty low (didn't know why) but it was fun to destroy the whole labyrinth. :rocket1:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Here's a kooky one, from the same insanity that made the 'head shot' into the 'crotch shot'.

It's be cool if there was a mutator that let you shoot off people's limbs. You know, like just the leg or something, which reduced their health but didn't necessarily kill them.

"Hop for your life!"
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Not a bad idea there evilgrins, but I think it would take tons of work to do (new models, scripts, animation). Would be great to see though.
Got a few new ideas:
A lots-of-layouts in 1 map map where at the start of the match lets you choose which map sections can be accesed (I know, needs scripting), it's kinda tough to describe this.
This 1 may be a bit too big for ut. I was kinda thinking of a Twisted Metal or Vigilante 8 clone or something. maybe Ferali's XVehicles could have something like this?