Your idea for a map, mod etc.

Discussions about UT99
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Your idea for a map, mod etc.

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:rock: Thanks a lot UTX! Just tested it with the default settings and it works good so far. :gj:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok we did see already in this forum a crossbow+sword combo ...but what about a grapple-hook+chainsaw combo?
It can be the same weapon.

The Cable Gun:
primary fire shoots the grapple-hook ...if you jump the GH pulls you towards its target. Walls, meshes, opponents or team-mates. if you could hit a player in midair will he be pulled towards you. Another click on the left mouse button cancels the hook but gained momentum will be carried out. This means, if you cancel midair the hook, you'll still flying a little bit further toward the former destination but you will drop down ...if you shoot again in another direction are you pulled towards your new target. Same happens if you pull an opponent towards you and cancel the hook will he fly and drop down ...you can use it to smash opponents against walls or drawn them into lava.
The alternate fire activates the chainsaw or buzzsaw and kills an opponent instantly.

Imagine how you hook up an opponent and jump towards him to gib him with a buzzing sound.

This weapon is very complicated to master but also very satisfying when it hit. And you can use it to navigate through a map like Spiderman. :mrgreen:

What do you think?

I made similar concept once for UT4 but no one seemed to like it.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I would love if the chainsaw could be a projectile :ironic:
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Yes, it is the same name because it's part of the project now, I will continue working on it starting on this mutator and re-thinking my previous ideas. The default value of 1.62 will make a player with 1HP in a classic / hardcore match as fast as a player in a turbo match, but of course you can change that to make them faster or slower. Now I made a big mistake that will mess other mutators, I fixed it already, just gotta upload the new one. I will also add the fire rate change and the jump height change for the whole package.

I once made a Redeemer that fired Chainsaws, I could make it again.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I mean the chainsaw fired from Papercoffee's concept gun.

Also, I don't know if this is WAY too off-topic, but NW3 UltraGore has done it's way to Doom as well!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

The Brown Noise gun mod. Makes other players crap themselves to death.

Get it done.

:P
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:I would love if the chainsaw could be a projectile :ironic:
UTX wrote:I once made a Redeemer that fired Chainsaws, I could make it again.
Ah the Chainsaw Rocket idea ...yeah.
UTX do you have this mod somewhere? Or do you have to recreate it? If yes, don't forget to add a rocket trail for awesomeness. :wink:

But yes the Cable Gun idea is meant without a real projectile. Just the cable/hook, everything else should be close combat on this weapon.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

A similar grapple modification is something that has been discussed inside the Chaos dev section.
If it happens, it happens outside of Chaos.
I asked if we could drag players or objects to yourself, but was told no, it has been suggested with each version.

I don't think it would be too spammy or annoying because;
1) it takes time to deploy
2) it is easy to sidestep if you see it coming.

Grapples will attach to moving objects and vehicles, but I have not seen anyone try to air-ski behind a 'deemer ....
anyone fancy trying that challenge ?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote:I don't think it would be too spammy or annoying because;
1) it takes time to deploy
2) it is easy to sidestep if you see it coming.
Simple solution ...make it faster.
Grapples will attach to moving objects and vehicles, but I have not seen anyone try to air-ski behind a 'deemer ....
anyone fancy trying that challenge ?
8) didn't know this...
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I'd take the challenge but I don't know about it looking good though. There's just not good physics in the engine. You really need karma for this to look right.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Karma ...this rings a bell ...is this a physic engine?
I'll google it.

Edit-------------
found it ...yes, this would be great but impossible in UT.
The physical behaviour doesn't have to be as accurate as in the newer games. I know that UT is restricted in that case.
The "cable" don't have to act physical correct ...just similar as the Chaos-Hook is enough. But with lesser options, shoot and if you don't jump is the hook not pulling you towards it destination. shoot again and the hook is cancelled.

The problem again would be bot behaviour ...So ...just a human player weapon. :noidea
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Carbon wrote:The Brown Noise gun mod. Makes other players crap themselves to death.

Get it done.

:P
I'm on it. Actually I think this will work better as a thrown item. Anyway, I'm going to make this.

Any of you sound designers can cobble me up a good sound to use? I'd like something deep and bass-y. Maybe have it roll up and down a little?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Here is the second edition of the Speed To Health Ratio, better than ever, I fixed the issues I noticed before, added the Jump Height and Acceleration modifiers and made a new pair of Jump Boots and a new Speed Relic that will work along nicely, I also changed the settings a little bit so check out the text file again.
Also, acceleration is not the same as speed, so I would recommend keeping acceleration a little lower than speed, perhaps around 2 so it doesn't get weird.

UnrealGecko, you mentioned the Firing Rate as well, but I decided to make that a separate mutator along with DamageScaling because that's mostly related to damage output rather than movement speed. I should finish that one rather quickly as it is very similar to the Speed To Health Ratio but much easier since it means less values.
papercoffee wrote:
UTX wrote:I once made a Redeemer that fired Chainsaws, I could make it again.
Ah the Chainsaw Rocket idea ...yeah.
UTX do you have this mod somewhere? Or do you have to recreate it? If yes, don't forget to add a rocket trail for awesomeness. :wink:
I would have to recreate it, which I think I will since you seem interested in it.
Attachments
Unreal Tournament X.rar
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

UTX wrote:I would have to recreate it, which I think I will since you seem interested in it.
:highfive: :rock: :omfg: Can't wait!!

I think the Ridiculous 'Deemer fires sometimes a chainsaw ...but it is as slow as the Redeemer missile. (have to play it again to see if I'm right)
Instead of an alternate fire, could this weapon have a half way zoom and the lock-on system of the Rocket Launcher.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

I will make the projectile speed configurable, as well as other things. I guess that would make a little more sense to have a zoom rather than controlling the chainsaw, I'll see what I come up with.

I could have a Redeemer edition and a Rocket Launcher edition, it seems a little overkill to have a seeking Redeemer missile.