Bad News: Game Front is changing it's policies.

Discussions about UT99
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Bad News: Game Front is changing it's policies.

Post by Renegade »

Not sure if you guys saw this article posted over at UP. Here it is anyways:
http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... 63&t=57964

Excerpt:
1. New deletion rules for registered user files.
These rules will go into effect on July 19, 2012. After that date, files uploaded to a registered user account will need 1 download every 60 days to avoid deletion. If a “user file” is not downloaded at least once in a sixty day period, it will be automatically deleted due to inactivity. If a user file receives at least 1 download every sixty days, it will stay on Game Front indefinitely. This rule will affect new files you upload, as well as files you already store on the site. After July 19, 2012, if files uploaded to your user account have not been downloaded at least 1 time in a 60 day period, they will be deleted. :x

Get to downloading.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Bad News: Game Front is changing it's policies.

Post by Creavion »

Well, I already realized several years ago you should not trust the internet if it comes to eternal availableness of files. Bit by bit a lot of content is about to disappear forever. If I download something I make sure to back it up on my external HDDs. In this way I have already saved some ut-modding related content (like the g-pack ut2004 texturepackage, nowadays you can not even find it anywhere anymore). If required I have to buy more of these HDDs. I know people who re-download files (e.g. after a system re-installation) from the internet. They see no necessity to back it up somewhere. With this new rule gamefront is kinda like a 08/15 file hoster now, only with the difference you can find files much easier. It looks like they have to save some storage space. I wondered all these years anyway how they could keep up this service. Now they have to limit it, otherwise it is highly possible they have to close the site and unlike the last time for real. It is not nice but at least better to see an other important website disappearing. There is not anything we can do about it anyway. All these older mirrored nalicity files fore example ... say bye bye to them. 95 % will disappear now forever.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

End of the world?
So everyone has a letter, everyone download the related UT file that start with that letter!

I go for 'Z'! Fast! No time to lose!!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

^ lol, tough luck for those with a C(tf), D(m) etc.

Anyway bad news indeed, those mirrors of mapraider are on there aswell and idk if they have a special paid account or something. Nalicity files too... All those download sites seem to aplly such stupid rules. Ut-files, mapraider (and mapfactory) wont delete any ut files, so thats one of the safe places (as long as they dont go down). Wonders where you can save ur files for the longterm... (except download all to hdd)
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

Nowhere. As Creavion said, don't trust the internet.
By the way there is still the redirect server (uz ut files)...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

This doesn't strike me as too unusual. A lot of sites, not just files ones, employ some form of activity monitor that either deletes the account or switches the status. If you don't actively use a yahoo mail account after a few months all mails are deleted and the account goes dormant, though you can login again later if you wish. Livejournal started a new policy that if you don't post something every 6 months they will delete your account.

Etc.

It's annoying but workable. Just need to make sure to keep your account active. Even if you just upload something small and not so impressive once in awhile.

I currently host my UT stuff on mediafire, which so far as i know doesn't have a policy like this. Hopefully they won't implement one anytime soon.
Creavion wrote:you should not trust the internet
Vankuss wrote:don't trust the internet.
Until the internet tries to sneak up behind me with an axe, I shall trust it somewhat.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

ModDB also uses File/GameFront for hosting !
Most popular hosting sites will have to think about it at some point. It is unfortunate unless they allocate users a limit on storage space.

As I've said many times MiPony is excellent for mass downloading from these host sites. You can copy and paste huge lists of links in one go :tu:
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

EvilGrins wrote:I currently host my UT stuff on mediafire, which so far as i know doesn't have a policy like this. Hopefully they won't implement one anytime soon.
Creavion wrote:you should not trust the internet
Vankuss wrote:don't trust the internet.
Until the internet tries to sneak up behind me with an axe, I shall trust it somewhat.
internetguy.jpg
internetguy.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 4033 times
But I think you got the idea...
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

Dr.Flay wrote:ModDB also uses File/GameFront for hosting !
Most popular hosting sites will have to think about it at some point. It is unfortunate unless they allocate users a limit on storage space.

As I've said many times MiPony is excellent for mass downloading from these host sites. You can copy and paste huge lists of links in one go :tu:
Before I download it (I already have JDownloader), you have to put a link each time? Like, if there are 50 files, I have to copy/paste 50 times?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Creavion wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:Until the internet tries to sneak up behind me with an axe, I shall trust it somewhat.
internetguy.jpg
But I think you got the idea...
*hides*
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

@Vankuss
You can paste a whole batch in one. It also has a built-in browser, so you can strip the links straight from the page.
It also checks to see if the file is still there.

I went through loads of down-loaders for these types of sites (including JDownloader) before I found MiPony.
None of them can touch it for site support.
http://www.mipony.net/en/features.php
Pinguin
Novice
Personal rank: Voice Pack Penguin

Post by Pinguin »

Sorry for (necro)bumping this thread, but WTF? GameFront is now preventing download stuffs in your area and gives you an error (see the countries below). Their FAQ is updated on Nov 5, 2012. Move to another file host outside GameFront. What's the fuzz is all about that site?
Game Front file downloads are not supported in the following territories. If you’re not in one of the below territories and are still having issues with our servce, please submit a ticket and we’ll look into it.

Argentina
Mexico
Chile
Spain
Thailand
Poland
Colombia
Brazil
France
Venezuela
South Africa
Peru
Uruguay
Malaysia
Turkey
Indonesia
India
Ecuador
Costa Rica
Honduras
Hungary
Philippines (this is my area)
Portugal
Romania
Russian Federation
Serbia
Singapore
Sweden
Japan
Indonesia
:wth:
Last edited by Pinguin on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Tux Android & Private Tux (UT2K4). Currently on hiatus. Doing making some new voice packs in unforeseeable future.

Tip me on Ko-fi (new!)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

France?? seriously?????!!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

My zone got affected too (Portugal), and now moddb downloads can only be made from their own servers upon registering... and yeah, that was very recent.
A few zones are understandable, others are plain illogical.
I relied on them for years and now they stabbed me and many people in the back. I understand their "deletion after 30days without activity" policy (if I was a hosting owner I would do the same since I bet many people use it for backups when that's not the point), however now excluding entire countries?

Once I make my last release, I will remove all my files from gamefront and host them elsewhere.
The funny thing about this is that if it wasn't for Skillz and his ut-files, many wouldn't probably be able to access some UT mods/maps anymore.
If ut-files was already important, now it became essential to keep it up.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

I have written countless posts on my opinion of using sites like FilePlanet and FileFront.
People finding themselves blocked, may find that using the Turbo mode in Opera browser gets you access, as you will be routed through an Opera proxy (for me in the UK I go through Poland).
Other than that, find a proxy or web proxy you trust, and browse via that.

I have said it before, and I will keep saying it until I stop re-spawning, or "Hit F10 to cancel".
We, the Unreal community need to too look after our own interests.

All large file hosts end up expanding and requiring registration, payment or limitation, and eventually collapsing or changing to something else (FilePlanet)

We need multiple FTP servers mirroring the UT-FILES format, with UT-Files being the master
Partial and complete, "the more the merrier".
Some people may only want to mirror files for a particular U-game. That is fine, as it still spreads the load.

I have outlined my idea to copy the AMINET system, successfully used for 20 years, and still going.
It is simple, and robust, with geographical redundancy (Sites all over the world).
It is "organic", growing and shrinking as servers change and move.
There is never a single second, of any minute, of any day, of any year (going back many years) when an Amiga owner has been without the AMINET. :mrgreen:
You can't crash it, block it, or delete it, even if you took down the central master. :rock:

No-one is going to do it for us.
We have to turn UT-FILES into a distributed "UnrealCDN" that is not owned by any one.

UT-FILES is great, but sits on 1 server in California. All it takes is an earthquake, or human-error and the whole thing disappears for a while.
That is something that we cannot risk, if more gamers are to reliably use it for redirects.

For my personal file space, I am currently relying on the 2GB you get with the "MyOpera" blogs.
High-speed, no ads, no DL limit, and you can organise them in folders.
As long as Opera follow the current path, my files will still be available in another 10 years time. :tu: