ut99 vs ut99-demo

Discussions about UT99
ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: ut99 vs ut99-demo

Post by ShaiHulud »

JackGriffin has the idea. It's what you're established in, what you're familiar with. There was a regular crowd that I played with every time I went online. It was always fun, I liked them all a lot, there was just no reason to move (as far as I was concerned). There's only one CTF map (Coret), which never felt like a restriction, we just all got REALLY REALLY good at Coret :D
When people asked me about this in the past, I used to say things like "every Chess game is played on the same board" - there are so many possible gameplay variations in a single map, we spent hours analysing all of the possible routes in and out of Coret, defensive and attacking strategies. I remember when one of the best known demo Normal Weapons (we always called it "Regular Weapons" on demo) clans called -NN- joined a "Full Version" tournament. It was hilarious because there was a lot of confusion about their performances. They beat EVERYONE, even the "top-tier" clans on "Full" UT, but often struggled a bit on the other maps (they still did pretty well though). "Why are these guys so good at Coret?" - there was a thread all about it on ProUnreal at one point.

There are 4 DeathMatch maps, Phobos, Turbine, Tempest and Morpheus. And 1 Domination map - Sesmar. And that's it.

But coming from demo, I MUCH prefer the "demo versions" of all of these maps. They messed about with them in the transition to the full game, and I think that was a mistake, the earlier versions play better. Other things I like about the demo version: no footstep sounds. That might not sound like a big thing, but it really added something to DeathMatch. When you were hunting someone you would go into full-stealth mode, no dodging, no jumping, just tip-toe around until you tracked them down, and they never heard you coming.

Also there's no ripper (yay!), no spam - sorry Flak - cannon (hooray!) and no sniper rifle (double yay!). Most of the gameplay was about the shock rifle and the rocket launcher. Coming to "Full Version" and finding EVERYONE using the sniper rifle was very boring. And the flak cannon is an abomination. I can't believe they put that into Coret. Ruins a beautiful thing.

The -NN- forum is still up (-NN- provided 6 of the longest running UT demo servers (the "Houstons": http://nnmessageboard.yuku.com/directory). All of the demo clans had Easyboard forums at the time, it was the place to be for all things demo. Sadly there was a "hacker" (allegedly, I still think it was down to internal incompetence) incident around 2002/3 and in some cases entire forums were lost and never recovered by the host.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Yeah, about that... why is there only 1 CTF map in the Demo?

I popped on that forum the other day, the one I listed earlier, not the one in the post just above this one, and asked them if they'd like me to edit them a newer CTF map but they said the demo can't take newer maps.

Is that true, or do newer maps all have to have DEMO at the end before the .unr?

I wonder if I edited one of the DEMO maps, if I could get my hands on one (hard to find a download of just the DEMO maps) if that would work...
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

That's a good question, and I don't know anything about the technical details, it was always something everyone agreed (Chinese whispers style) wasn't possible, but I don't know where it originated. I suspect there's some solid reasoning behind it, but I don't know what.

I've got the client installed, and I don't think I'd be breaching any intellectual copyright/similar restrictions by uploading and linking to one or more maps, given that they're all available when you install the free client anyway... opinions? I will if I get he nod from people with a better understanding of these things.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Take the demo itself ...install it on a external drive ...taadaaaa!

@ ShaiHulud
Wait ....so the main difference is the layout of the demo maps and the lack of three main weapons. And the pure nostalgia.
What's with the redeemer?
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

We have the Ripper, Biorifle, and Falk cannon in Our modified UT99 348 Demo Server. We are limited to 6 maps. We changed the CTF-Coret, and DOM-Sesmar to DeathMatch, The mods are one reason we love this game. We also have a sniper rifle mod, and real weapons mod. We also run three redeemers in our Extreme 348 Demo server.

http://utdemo.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=373

Jim DLD-RABBIT
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

DLD-RABBIT wrote:We have the Ripper, Biorifle, and Falk cannon in Our modified UT99 348 Demo Server. We are limited to 6 maps. We changed the CTF-Coret, and DOM-Sesmar to DeathMatch, The mods are one reason we love this game. We also have a sniper rifle mod, and real weapons mod. We also run three redeemers in our Extreme 348 Demo server.
this makes no sense for me, you know. but i guess you die hard fans are the best out there :thuup:
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

papercoffee wrote:Wait ....so the main difference is the layout of the demo maps and the lack of three main weapons. And the pure nostalgia.
What's with the redeemer?
Ah, yes, thank you I forgot the redeemer! No, no redeemer either :) But yes, those are the only differences that I can think of. Oh, also, no female skins! So *everyone* had to play with a male skin.

And yep, it's mostly about the memories and what playing there represented to me. It wasn't my first online game, but it was the only one I stuck with for any length of time.

Ah yeah, there are and were some *heavily* modded demo servers. There's a "real weapons" mod with contemporary weapons, a shotgun, M16 and so on, which was quite popular. There's even a version of MonsterHunt for demo. I remember joining a server running that once and having no idea what MonsterHunt was and being very confused.

Nutcase (a Dutch player from the demo clan called BEE) was responsible for a lot of innovative new features. I believe - though I'm prepared to be wrong about this - that he was behind the first version of IPToCountry, it was running on a few demo servers way back when.
There's a demo DeathMatch server operating at the moment called Starz (Starz was a pretty big DM-only clan in the latter demo days) which has a lot of non-standard stuff on it. "Splifs" instead of health packs, Beer cans (complete with BEE logo) instead of health vials, some amusing voice packs - it's funny to hear the bots taunt you with the custom voices.

There was another player and talented modder... hmm, my memory is really hazy, but I think he was called DarkPanther or blackpanther - he backported a lot of "Full Version" stuff to demo.

Incidentally, since I use Anthrax's VistaBrowserFix, I can enumerate v348 demo servers (and Tactical Ops) from Full Version, which is pretty cool.
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept
Personal rank: It's a trap!

Post by VatcilliZeitchef »

ShaiHulud wrote: Ah, yes, thank you I forgot the redeemer! No, no redeemer either :) But yes, those are the only differences that I can think of. Oh, also, no female skins! So *everyone* had to play with a male skin.
I can't see how this is a good thing, for me it's enough of a reason not to play it, I did not play a lot of 'great games' for this reason alone, the only exception being team fortress 2.
Image Kayako's useful Unreal editor Icon Database Image
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Lack of girl skins? :) Or missing redeemer?

Someone did make a demo-compatible redeemer. But given that all of the demo maps are quite claustrophobic, it wouldn't have been a good fit.
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept

The girl skins. Even if it were just a single female soldier/female commando skin it'd be fine for me (Not the Alphex thou, they are horrible. :barf: )
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

We have Female skins...We have many skins and models, voices. We have to add female skins, and voice as an extra, but it is a small quick download. Another reason we like Demo, package downloads are very fast.
The olny difference is the lack of up too date anticheat, and just 6 maps. That is the only difference.

Download 348 and find out. :loool:
https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0 ... =drive_web

No trying to start a war here, but we are a part of the UT99 community, just sometimes over looked.
Again we support both Full 436, 348 Demo! :tu:

Jim DLD-RABBIT
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

DLD-RABBIT wrote: No trying to start a war here
Don't sweat it, no one is getting angry... we are only curious about. Because we don't get it.

You can easily take all the maps from the demo and import it to UT ...No one is forcing you to use female player-character.
For the weapons is it your decision which weapons you will put in your map.
The demo has lesser stuff ...if this is the only reason why you like it, then I don't get it.
But if there is more difference, like a different movement or a different weapon handling ...or you like the lighting more... then can I accept it.

In the quiet popular Counterstrike 1.6 are many gameplay changes made compared to the previous versions ...that's why many people kept playing CS1.5 on self made servers... till now.
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept

As far as I recall, I saw someone saying footstep sounds were not yet implemented, which some people liked due to being able to be stealthier. althou surely there is a mutator around the net somewhere that removes footstep sounds. I think it's also the "Less is more" Or the "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" idea, not having too many items out of the box can be pleasant at times.

Of course, I as a mapper can't live without it since creating custom maps is what I do, it's who I am when I am here.

I understand their point and their reason to stay. It's jus not something I would follow them in.