Nachetka

What kinda of game is UT?

Post by Nachetka »

Is UT similar to other fps games?
kart
Novice

Re: What kinda of game is UT?

Post by kart »

Haha well it's pretty much a variation of DeathMatch, CTF, and many other gametypes. There are some player-made gametypes like BunnyTracks, Jailbreak and more.
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

unreal tournament is unique. 8)
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Nachetka wrote:Is UT similar to other fps games?
Not at all, it's unique fast-paced action balls to the walls sci-fi shooter. You got lot of firepower and deadly & ligtning fast action. You run and gun instead of hiding behind some bush with your ak47 and waiting for some to pass by. :loool:
Last edited by Raynor on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

UT is a classic splatter Game :rock:
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

I think the main difference is that you play an fps for about a month or something. After that you just leave it behind because you have tried everything or beaten the boss.
But whit unreal tournament it's different. If you try a few servers you will eventually learn that each server has somewhat a different little game. New maps, weapons, game play. And whit 10k of servers around :roll:
The best thing is that all this is fluid. Everything is changing over time. Some servers disappear some appear. Some maps/mods disappear and yet even more are constantly made.
And there are also a few mods that totally convert the game into another. All this for a few bucks nowdays.
SO UT is the biggest game. I mean I have 8GB+ of unreal stuff. (and I heard that some people had about 50GB)
And because gaming industry on PC is starting to rot, more and more players come back to play this wonderful game.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Furthermore UT has all main system files from Unreal. With the installation from Oldskool you are able to play Single Player Mods/Maps (ok without you can do it as well, but not directly from the menu). I guess I can say that this really unique :tongue:
The reason is UT was planned to be a Botpack-Addon for Unreal but later it was decided that UT should be a stand alone game.
kart wrote:Haha well it's pretty much a variation of DeathMatch, CTF, and many other gametypes. There are some player-made gametypes like BunnyTracks, Jailbreak and more.
and assault rocks the world :mrgreen:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Nachetka wrote:Is UT similar to other fps games?
Are you kidding me? Similar?
Well, let me present you Unreal Tournament:
- The most modified game ever, and it continues to be modified (I am doing a mod right now too :tongue: )
- The word Unreal is the perfect word for this game, because a FPS like this one, is really unreal!!
- Weapons beyond your imagination, with even more weapons made by players
- Types of revolucionary and variable gameplay: Capture the Flag, DeathMatch, Team DeathMatch, Assault, Domination, and player's made too: BunnyTrack, MonsterHunt, and counting...
- Mutators like you ever seen before: Instagib, Low Gravity... and again some custom ones: Rocket-X, Nemesis, Zark, Binslayer, DecalStay, and counting
- A lot of custom single player mods by players, and very good ones (I'm doing one right now, and editor Dave too)
- A reasonable SDK support, with Unreal Editor, to do some your own maps and mods, and it's very easy to learn to use it
- Each game with his own strategy: camping, run, look for, and beyond
- A game very fast, no boring states on the game
- A lot of servers even today, and all different, all with their gametype, mutator and feeling
- This FPS have almost 10 years of existence, and even if you play C.S., Crysis or UT3, you will certainly prefer this old, but well done FPS game

- I think there's some more to tell about, but that you have to find for yourself

Stay cool and play Unreal Tournament :tu:
gades
Average
Personal rank: UT BotMast3r

Post by gades »

UT has good retail levels, most of them having a definite, "unique" theme, over all the 40 something maps that came with the game. Themes range from Wooden galleons, temples, spaceships, and much more.

UT's music is uniquely cool imo.

UT can be pretty much any game you want it to be. Capture the flag, deathmatch, hold control points in domination, storm a well fortified base in assault.

Mutators add more elements to whatever gametype your playing. Some mutators just change the gameplay completely (low gravity, instagib, big head etc).

And that's just UT out of the box. UT fans have created countless maps, and many other addons.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Unreal Tournament started out as a mission pack and is the follow-up to Unreal the game that KILLED Quake I and 2. Out-of-the-box UT99 is basically fast-paced (you'd be better off digging a grave than looking for cover most of the time) competitive gameplay at it's BEST (no other game except Counter-Strike and Quake III have been able to touch it). It comes with Deathmatch (better than Quake III's), Capture the flag (no other game does it as good as UT99), Domination, Team Deathmatch, Rocket Arena, Last Man Standing (you have limited lives), and Assault (objective based chaos). Mod games include: Tactical Ops (if it were still popular, it would be considered BETTER than Counter-Strike), Jailbreak, Siege (you gotta play this), Infiltration (only Red Orchestra is more realistic than this simulator), and just about everything you can think of. If you've never had it installed on your system before and want to play, get ready for one major headache: DOWNLOADING, LOTS OF IT. After the annoyance is gone your good to go and it will usually be like ten-seconds or less on a crappy internet connection to get onto a game after your browser pings everything. If you have a FRESH install of UT let me know and I'll put together a guide for you. Oh and to answer the other part of your question: Unreal Tournament (99, Classic,GotYE) is NOTHING LIKE OTHER FIRST-PERSON-SHOOTERS, other than the name it doesn't even resemble UT3 (heard this one was failing actually), UT2K3/2K4 (don't even think about comparing it to 2K3 and 2K4), or Championship 1 and 2. Also if you think the graphics are dated think again: there will be a new extension pack getting released in the near future, many new textures have been released, and many more textures are still being made. This game is going to look more modern.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Yeah, when in UT was still in development, it was called "Unreal: Tournament Edition" :P
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

Myth wrote:I think the main difference is that you play an fps for about a month or something. After that you just leave it behind because you have tried everything or beaten the boss.
But whit unreal tournament it's different. If you try a few servers you will eventually learn that each server has somewhat a different little game. New maps, weapons, game play. And whit 10k of servers around :roll:
The best thing is that all this is fluid. Everything is changing over time. Some servers disappear some appear. Some maps/mods disappear and yet even more are constantly made.
And there are also a few mods that totally convert the game into another. All this for a few bucks nowdays.
SO UT is the biggest game. I mean I have 8GB+ of unreal stuff. (and I heard that some people had about 50GB)
And because gaming industry on PC is starting to rot, more and more players come back to play this wonderful game.
couldnt have said it any better....POST
SpartanLaw117

Post by SpartanLaw117 »

UT is the fastest fps you´ll ever see, you need to have extremely good timing and reflexes while shoting or dodging, and the mods are very cool
brdempsey69
Average
Personal rank: Ex Marine

Post by brdempsey69 »

To answer the original posters question:

NO, UT isn't like any other FPS. It's the best of the bunch and it has stood the test of time for probably everybody who posts here. Many of us here have been playing for years and we keep coming back for more because the original UT brings so much more to the table than other FPS's.

The original UT cannot and will not die. It just brings way too much to the table.

Go pick yourself up a copy and get in there and start fraggin'.
p3z
Novice

Post by p3z »

ut is an ego-shooter ;D