medor and his file hosting

Discussions about UT99
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

medor and his file hosting

Post by JackGriffin »

Hey medor, I know that in the past I've been critical of you hosting files without (what I would consider proper) permission. I wanted to tell you that I was wrong about it and I'm sorry I was so critical of your work.

What you have done has been a lifesaver for UT admins. Over and over you end up being the only guy to have a particular archive. It's been the only place to have some odd file for so many people and you aren't getting properly thanked for all your work.

I tend to be pretty vocal about permissions but I just can't argue with the results you have brought to the table. Well done sir, and again please accept my apology for my criticisms of your methods. I just can't disagree with your results and the community as a whole is much better off for you doing what you are doing. There would be a lot of lost work if you hadn't mirrored it and that would be a shame.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Re: medor and his file hosting

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

Indeed, good work man :)
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Yes, medor does an Excellent job of making sure those looking for a file find it!
:gj: medor!
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

He does not change zip files nor does he add anything to them. I can live with that although I still don't like it. But as long as the creator keeps control over his work, it's okay. DM-Maris is missing on that list, by the way.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Swanky wrote:He does not change zip files nor does he add anything to them. I can live with that although I still don't like it. But as long as the creator keeps control over his work, it's okay.
That's a pretty good summary of the way I feel about it but I could have stood to be less vocal towards him over how I thought it should be done. I owed him an apology for that.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

Anyone who keep ut files and creates backups or Puts them up for download is a hero in my book always.

So many thing have been made for ut over the years and Like myself I have a very large detailed ut backup I keep only in fear of the files not being hosted .
I also have dvd copies of my backup file just in case something happens to my drive so I have the files I need just in case.

Keep in mind also that UT is open all source .If you make it people will use it and change it , some times without asking as well.
This issue comes down to Respect for other makers of things they put out in a open source platform .

I remember when the first person took my things and how it made me feel about it .
I understand and Respect others work in the UT community .

Just remember at the end of the day on this forums and other forums pertaining to ut , we are a part of a much larger community of UT and we all need to work together more as a group and not his forum , my forum , this clan ,that clan etc...
We all love and support this game on any forum , communities, clans ,and websites.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I may be seen as pedantic here, but sometimes Medor does change or add to an archive.
He does what I also do.
Add missing "summon" info or documentation, and screenshots. :tu:

Also VanQuisher, UT is not open-source !
An individual who uses UEd to make stuff, has the option to use and create open-source material for free. That is a different matter.
Any individual who makes something with it, also has the right to protect and copyright their work (or do you think Deus Ex and Rune are free open-source projects?)

I tend to use Medor's site for small files, or files not in the faster UT-FILES site.
If I had a permanent setup, I would run Shareaza and link everything to both sites as permanent sources. Then speed or location would cease to be an issue. I still have to get my head around magnet and meta links.

When browsing the folders I use (and give the link) http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr.nyud.net/utfiles/ so that if I am lucky enough to fetch a popular file, I often get it faster from the Coral CDN.
If we all browse Medor's site via the CDN, we will all get faster files, when Medor is throttling it.
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

I see what you are saying.
Either way I understand Respect and morals of the people use UTED to make things they really don't want others to use .

But I am also glad to see people hosting and saving UT files so other can have them to use .
We all have lost files to something that we needed and then not been able to find them .

I guess the problem is the gray areas of can I use this or do I need to ask or Piss someone off comes down to what type of person is taking ,using, or stealing something vs Asking permissions,Giving credit , and Respecting others wishes .
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Medor is good people, no denying it. I've found monsters I never even heard of from skimming his site and forums.

Been toying with checking them over a little more thoroughly, considering. Like I've said, many a time, I've been playing ut99 since a month from when it was first released. While I've downloaded a bucketload of maps, models, and skins... I've not kept all of those.

What I did keep were the mutators and mods, though. Like that Blobgun I shared a stretch back; Hook knows what I mean.

Without looking it up, I bet nobody knows what a Teigen Gun is!

I'm gonna skim what Medor has and see if some of the very obscure weapons and other weird things I've collected over the years are on his site, and if not start sharing them with the folks here. That and I figure Medor will probably take them from here and put them on his already vast collection of everything.

Keep it going Medor, you're an inspiration.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758