Metal Guard skin, UT99 PS2

Discussions about UT99
HiveMethods
Novice

Metal Guard skin, UT99 PS2

Post by HiveMethods »

I was first introduced to UT by the PS2 version, and I've finally gotten the PC version (GOTY).
I'm a bit disappointed because my character, Von, Metal Guard member, isn't playable (Metal Guard isn't selectable at all), especially since the Unreal WIki mentioned something to the effect of Metal Guard being selectable in GOTY.

So I've googled and snooped around to no avail. I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong keywords or what, but I haven't found a way to access the Metal Guard. I even searched the skins section on this forum and came up with 3 threads that didn't have what I was looking for. (Von's name doesn't even seem to come up for Metal Guard roster whereas Barktooth and the others do when I've googled, I have no idea what's going on. PS2 exclusive?)

1) Long story short: does anyone have any resource (skin download, editing method, something) so I can play as Metal Guard?

_______
Despite the PS2's shortcoming's, one of the Pros are that it includes pretty neat official-looking character portrait artwork for character selection. Von, Freylis, Matrix, Brock, etc. I have not seen these pictures anywhere else.

2) Does anyone have a link to these pictures, or, if someone is willing to provide a walkthrough, I'd be willing to "extract"(?) the art myself from the disc (I am clueless as to how) if anyone is interested in seeing them?
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Metal Guard skin, UT99 PS2

Post by Carbon »

"Metal Guard" is a subset of "Human Soldier". It is on my install, which is also GOTY. And indeed, I have "Von", in a further subset of "Metal Guard".
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

The only way I know to play as the Metal Guard in the campaign is to edit one of the RatedTeamInfo classes and save Botpack (you would have to make a backup first). Another problem is that the Metal Guard technically isn't a team (so they don't have any symbol or descriptions of their own), and unless you would be willing to edit a bunch of RatedMatchInfo classes, you would have to replace one of the other teams.

I can get that artwork for you.

Edit: Here you go. I have one locked character and don't know how to unlock them, so what I have will have to do.
PS2_Selection_Art.zip
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 186 times
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

Last edited by UT99.org on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiveMethods
Novice

Post by HiveMethods »

AlCapowned wrote:The only way I know to play as the Metal Guard in the campaign is to edit one of the RatedTeamInfo classes and save Botpack (you would have to make a backup first). Another problem is that the Metal Guard technically isn't a team (so they don't have any symbol or descriptions of their own), and unless you would be willing to edit a bunch of RatedMatchInfo classes, you would have to replace one of the other teams.

I can get that artwork for you.

Edit: Here you go. I have one locked character and don't know how to unlock them, so what I have will have to do.
PS2_Selection_Art.zip
Gah, sounds like too much work. If there are any other ways I'll update.

Thanks for the pictures, that's what I was looking for.
medor wrote:UT_PS2_BetaSkins_v1 http://192.168.1.18/index.php?dir=Skins ... ins_v1.zip

UT_PS2_Characters_v2_6 http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... w=previous
I'm really interested in this but the top link isn't working; it doesn't load on Chrome. The bottom of course directs to another thread - but the link in that thread for the .rar isn't working.
So I visited the primary source (./skins) is a dead(?) link. The other Skins+1700 only has a text document.

Is there a mirror to the link or is it forever gone?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:it's ok now
HiveMethods
Novice

Post by HiveMethods »

Thanks medor, I downloaded the skins. :P

Edit: Hey AlCapowned, I'd be willing to try to play as Metal Guard in campaign (mind-change, I know). Do you have more in-depth directions for editing or is that enough?
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

I shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard... :wth:
HiveMethods
Novice

Post by HiveMethods »

Carbon wrote:I shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard... :wth:
Why's that?
BTW I didn't even see your initial post until today. No clue how I missed it.

You are correct; he's under the Player Options tab (something to that effect) which I hadn't checked out. I really need to pay more attention.

And in that case, I messed up my initial point entirely because I meant to ask how to play as him in Single Player Ladder mode. Sorry for screwing that up so bad, that's pretty embarrassing.

In my defense I haven't gotten much sleep lately
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

HiveMethods wrote: In my defense I haven't gotten much sleep lately
:mrgreen: ...I know this feeling.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The PS2 pack is a project by "AlCapowned".
I am quite sure that if it would have solved the problem, he would have posted it himself :wth:
It is not a skin pack, they are models.

It is a perfect addon for console converts, but you will only get to play with them in a proper game.
The ladder thing is a limited linear progression with a half-assed story, aimed at keeping a familiar SP feel to new gamers.

The real point of UT, is to pick the map you want, the teams or mix of players, and the extra mutators you wish.
If you need the challenge, then make your favourite map more of a challenge.
You can be any model and play against any model.
You can't use mutators in the ladder mode.

Back on topic...
If you like AlCapowned's conversions then you may want the map packs, and console cross-hairs.
GEx put together a page with the collection and current links to the ModDB project pages. You may find that more useful.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... nsole-like
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

HiveMethods wrote:
Carbon wrote:I shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard... :wth:
Why's that?
BTW I didn't even see your initial post until today. No clue how I missed it.

You are correct; he's under the Player Options tab (something to that effect) which I hadn't checked out. I really need to pay more attention.
Sweet.

I just assumed I was just so far out to left field that everyone was politely acting as if I didn't post. :loool:
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

HiveMethods wrote: Edit: Hey AlCapowned, I'd be willing to try to play as Metal Guard in campaign (mind-change, I know). Do you have more in-depth directions for editing or is that enough?
What you would need to do is open the Unreal Editor, go to the actor class browser, and look for the Info class under the Actor class. Under the info class, look for RatedTeamInfo, and then right click on one of the RatedTeamInfo and click on Default Properties. Then go to the RatedTeamInfo propery and change things like the bios and MaleSkin/FemaleSkin to your liking. Save Botpack once you're done, but make sure you have a backup.