UT-FILES down. Population panics. Suicide rate increases.

Discussions about UT99
Se7eN
Novice

Re: UT-FILES down. Population panics. Suicide rate increases

Post by Se7eN »

JackGriffin wrote:Hey 7, good to see you bro. Would it be OK if I site rip this later tonight or are you on BW restrictions? I'm going to set up a fully dedicated pub redirect server and this would seed it nicely.

BTW your folder structure will need to be addressed before this is usable by the default engine if you are offering a place for people to use as their redirect.
I'll be able to give you an answer regarding the site rip within about 24 hours.

As for the folder structure, it's a work in progress and everything should be O.K relatively soon.

This is a dedicated box with PLENTY of bandwidth, we also have other boxes we can use IF (although I don't see any reasons why) this doesn't work out.

The goal is to offer a free/public redirect that would essentially replace ut-files. If you think you could help us get things up to par a bit quicker, don't hesitate to either contact X-LP or myself on irc.utchat.com
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

medor wrote:for unreal-mayhem i remember i have take all files for unreal playground I did but I do not remember if it worked
can't say everything, as I found quite a few DM maps at unreal-mayhem that ain't at your place (DM-Ulio and DM-1on1-Tronic just to name a few).
Again, this got off-topic, so if you medor want a list, pm me ok?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:ok i PM you

my mayen files is hold now
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

papercoffee wrote:I say, Mediafire gives you 50 gigs for free...
Now imagine what we can gather together if only 6 people make an account there. We need a central page where you upload your links and everyone will find what they searching for. But don't rely only on one file-host ... MultiUpload is also a good place.
That is exactly how Mapraider works.
It means you (the uploader) only needs an account at mapraider.

We just have to get in the habit of spamming uploads.

2 more options for mulli-uploads http://www.mirrorcreator.com and http://www.mirrorbrain.org
If you want some idea of the huge number of sites to choose from, look at this list http://www.mipony.net/en/features.php
BTW. if you add/capture a MultiUpload link (like Creavion uses) to MiPony, it opens all the links it points at without any adverts.
I have a feeling I have seen useful upload tools (used by people who spread films and music). I'll keep an eye out and post anything good.

This way hopefully we can avoid setting up loads of accounts.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

How is this coming along ? I still want you to let know whatever price you have managed to secure or were quoted along with the specs. I'm sure I can find something for cheaper.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I still need to email you the specifics, I know. I meant to get to that today but worked turned into a full-day thing. I promise you I'll do it in the morning when I get up.

Publicly I'll state that the server is a 100MB line dedicated located in Scranton, Pennsylvania (east coast US). It's already paid for, I'm just in the middle of the 72 hour setup timetable.

I know VPS could have gotten off with a bit cheaper but you generally have much less storage space. This server strikes the balance between cost, what is needed, and future expansion if that occurs.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

interesting that it takes so long to setup jack..

I have been using VPS's for years and they normally propogate within 30-60 minutes .
but ahh well each to their own I guess.

also to get the most out of it add a game-server to it :) as well.

good luck.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

I am pretty sure the issue is not the propagation of the VPS, so much as getting the redirect server setup, and mostly
getting all the uz files organized and what not. Depending upon various factors at the host end, there could be "issues"
regarding case of the file names, duplicate files, files that have no reason being compressed in the first place and who knows what else.

I can tell Jack is wanting to do this right the first try. If I can help in anyway, he just needs to ask.

@Jack. Take your time on this. Jump in yer boat and let it rest a day or 2. It will be good for you, and quite likely a
thought or 2 regarding the best way to proceed next will jump into your head while you least expect it.

People will survive for a few days without a redirect. Hopefully most of the reg. players of various servers have most of the files they
need at this point anyway. Most of the admins who have been effected by this probably haven't even noticed yet.
And if they know what they are doing, they could setup a private redirect quick just by installing a web server of sometype.
Not ideal with it sharing the same bandwidth as the gameserver, but still works much better than downloads right from the server.
I know. I have done it that way before, and could have it up and running that way again in an hour if I wanted.
blarg
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

That's a stupid amount to pay....especially for a vps

Is it kvm virtuozzo or openvz ? Let me know the space and bandwidth you were quoted
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

The 72 hours is dictated by the company (Burst.net) not me. I know we live in a "I want it now and I don't want to wait" society but stop to think about this for a minute. I'm getting extra scrutiny by the host, I've had to send documents back-and-forth several times now and they are taking the full stated time window before activating my server. At first I was pissed off by this but one of my friends teaches computer tech and we were talking about it and he got me to see things from their side. I ordered a weak(ish) server with no control panel and massive bandwidth. Exactly what a spammer would want access to. They are being careful and I guess I understand that. I'm only willing to go so far though. Tomorrow morning is the end of the 72 hour service window and I can't think of anything more I could provide to them.

I'd imagine this would happen much faster if I ordered a quad core gaming server and not the 'spamfest special'.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:I know we live in a "I want it now and I don't want to wait" society
MrLoathsome wrote: @Jack. Take your time on this. Jump in yer boat and let it rest a day or 2. It will be good for you, and quite likely a
thought or 2 regarding the best way to proceed next will jump into your head while you least expect it.
As you can see not everyone is like this.

How much do the server cost ?
You have not much financial resources left because of your condition ...
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I still want to contribute to the community. Truthfully I don't have energy to spend days and days developing mods, compiling code, testing. It's all just exhausting and so many people frankly do it better than me. I hardly play now, maybe twice a week I'll explore a map I haven't played on my coop server or visit one of Loath's. What I needed was a challenge but one that wasn't overwhelming on my limited resources yet reached and helped the maximum number of people. This redirect thing fits all those perfectly.

For a long time I've wanted to learn Linux and yesterday was trial by fire. It was fun though and now all those terms I heard but never understood (putty, apache, SFPT) now make sense and I was able to set everything up just like it should be. This site came from the ground up of a basic installation of Ubuntu and that's been fun to do.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

Look into psad (gets technical)

Also.. good tool for quick edits. = winscp
Dizzy
Experienced
Personal rank: Oaf

Post by Dizzy »

I can host all Bunnytrack (CTF-BT-*) related files at http://www.bunnytrack.net/ if someone has a way of getting them to me.

EDIT: I've read through this entire thread and it explains everything fairly well.

My only last question is: what's happened to all the data that was on UT-Files.com? Is it still available somewhere for people who want to mirror it? Is it still on the host's servers, just behind a paywall?
Se7eN wrote:Hello, I'm an admin on irc.utchat.com/irc.globalgamers.net (both point to the same place) and a friend of mine made me aware of the UT-files situation. I spoke about it with fellow staff members and we managed to set up a public redirect. http://r.x-lp.net/ There may be a few files missing but it's a work in progress and should be complete soon.
@Se7eN: you mention you've set up a public redirect - are you mirroring everything that was on UT-Files directly, or are the files from your own sources?
Also is there a file list available for the redirect like there was for uz.ut-files.com? Thanks.
Last edited by Dizzy on Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join the BunnyTrack.net Discord chat server: https://www.bunnytrack.net/discord
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Have you carried out any sysctl hardening on the server yet? Make sure you cover the hardening for IP spoofing. That's essentual for webserver. For the nature of server, this is going to be a very very steep learning curve for you.

I have not looked over this sysctl. However, it contains IP spoof hardedning
http://www.eth0.us/sysctl

Also, I would suggest, if you have multiple IP addresses, you use one as the root IP address. IE an IP that is whitelisted to only listen and respond to your connections. This way, if you ever come under DDoS, your bandwidth won't get owned since you have multiple virtual eth and you can just disable the flooded one with a click.

Just make sure you keep the basics covered. Security. Install CSF. Forget APF, UFW and the likes.

There's too much to do on Linux...so I won't write much. However, if you have any problems let me know. Also, I would suggest that you do not use Apache as the main and only webserver. You will definitely need a reverse proxy of some sort.

Have a look here for some tips to secure
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1002167