Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Discussions about UT99
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Free UT99 Public redirect by unrealkillers.com

Post by Carbon »

I can provide anything. :rock:

The "mega pack" folders (yes, that is what I called them...) are itemized in much the same manner as Skillz' were. The "working" folders are copies of the install folders which I copy over when I need to format, etc; they are modded, mapped, etc. The "items" folders are full of betas, alphas, e-books, and all manner of curious things, the game-named folders are digital copies of the original games and the others are pretty self-explanatory. Honestly, this collection started back in '98 and is very comprehensive.

I am quite active/obsessive regarding archiving digital content, just as I am about the physical games. Now I just need to find a permanent home for it all where others can access it.

Ok...so .zips are not cool. Dang...I spent so much time zipping up 90GB of files yesterday. :( I can and will use .7zip in the future; that is what I have been using to zip up files anyhow, but I thought that .zip was just more universal, that's all.
Last edited by Carbon on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Yes ZIP is more universal, but that only because of lazy people who can't be bothered to download a free archiver program.
Windows 98 introduced OS support, but before that, everyone had to get some software to open ZIPs.
Your existing ZIPs are fine, just less reliable.

Are you just ZIPing the existing ZIPs and RARs into an archive file, or are you re-packing the individual files and folders ?
If you are ZIPing collections of ZIPS etc. switch off the compression, as you will not gain anything.
Using 7zip or RAR to further compress ZIPs etc. will only gain a small amount, but can be worth it (it just takes a long time).

If you are collecting pre-compressed files into an archive, you should generally switch off compression, switch on "Solid" archives, and add a recovery record (if the software supports it).
If someone DLs a many GB file and it is corrupted, a recovery record will mean they can avoid downloading it again.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

No, I am not zipping zips. I am zipping 'loose files' as it were, so I am not double zipping and I set my compression to 'fast', just to save some time. I chose "ultra" initially, but it was going to take 4 hours, even with my new 4770k! Ugh...
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

ZIP is supported in all platforms, OSs, etc, even a vanilla Windows XP comes with a native ZIP extractor, and many of nowadays packaging formats are still pretty much ZIP.
Personally, although I compress many of my things in RAR format (like my sources, and other stuff, to be smaller), every time I put something to public I always make sure to compress it in the standard ZIP format, since I know everyone will be able to open it anywhere, since when it comes to sharing, it's best to do so in a non-proprietary global format.

It's not about "laziness" of downloading an external program, it's the fact that using proprietary formats is what made many companies hold entire monopolies on such formats and rip every single coin out of your pocket so you could be able to work with them, like Adobe and Microsoft, hence stuff like HTML5 and open document formats were created to fight that trend while creating better global free alternatives.
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

I still have everything from UT-files.com stored on two hard drives. The content totals over 600GB in size. I don't have a reliable Internet connection anymore, just my limited phones 3g internet. When I can, utfiles will be back in full.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hello SKILLS, Thanks for popping in dude. Great to see you.
Between us all we can help eachother.
The Web Archive maintainers are interested in helping, so it would be worth you chatting with them. Their IRC room is probably the quickest way to start organising anything.

Don't forget, there may be someone in a position to let you connect to their account while you archive it.

Carbon, don't re-pack archives unless you have to, as they will all be new unique files and will not match existing versions over the networks that use hashes (eg. magnet powered DLs and the p2p networks).
Also a duplicate-finder utility will not see them as the same.
Anyone who downloads re-packed files will have to open and compare with their existing files.
Obviously pack loose files, but basically you should just "Archive" the existing compressed archives into a single non-compressed archive.
This will be very fast.

NOTE: Windows Vista and upwards, have a tendency to update the time-stamps when you unpack archives. Make a point of checking your un-packing settings, so that the time-stamp is left with the original info.

Well Ferali obviously you are correct in that ZIP is the de-facto "standard", but that is only because of a "catch-22".
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Skillz! Good to hear from you. Many here are still trying to fill in for your great service over the years.

Anyhow, I have only zipped new additions to my collection; files that weren't already zipped and only did so to first make finding doubles easier and second, to match the collections (file structure/organization) on which mine is based: Skillz', as an example. I haven't touched anything else, so the hashes should match for the files that were already on the network.

I haven't the time to run a website folks, that is an impossibility. I am currently doing research for publication and that is more time consuming than you would believe.

Anyhow, I will do what I can. It is all on Shareaza. Speaking of that, some real freaks on there. I was browsing some folks who were connected to me and saw a bunch of illegal stuff and promptly banned them. Some people really suck as humans. :wth:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:any ETA? I notice the new unrealkillers one is STILL incomplete. even bonus pack maps. This is a huge deal. I've passed out the URL to people who have started servers, they then disable the server from sending files as expected and still now we are finding files not yet on the redirect. assuming its by alphabet order and Viridian tourney was the map, maybe we're close. Should I ask why the upload was so time staking? It's none of my business but I can't fathom why it would've taken this long since the last major announcement of starting to upload the files. At least skillz won't put all this anti-leech crap and I would've known it was incomplete before spreading the url. Sorry for the negativity though, but this not having a major redirect was and still is a major nail in the UT coffin. Offered to sort the files out, maybe I still will if I get time, and none of the servers I have access to would still be uploading. Or did you decompress then BEFORE uploading? Should I even ask? Just give us all an ETA and will be thankful. Now don't mind me I have some explaining to do on why servers are becoming useless who use that url

Edit: Ignore this rant, seems they were using a different redirect afterall! hahaha :loool:
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Was going to say....redirect is basically complete sitting at 101GB.

I purchased a cheap domain for 50 pence which will take off some limitations set by .co.nr

I updated top post. Please use the follow going forwards

http://www.utredirect.org.uk/uz/

The NameServers should finish propagation soon
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

just a note here you can also use dropbox as a redirect someone has discovered
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Wises wrote:just a note here you can also use dropbox as a redirect someone has discovered
Which I strongly advice against.
Dropbox has a hard limit on the amount of traffic per day (20Gb/day => https://www.dropbox.com/help/45/en) and they will cut it without any previous warning and suspend the folder where the redirect is in.
So unless your server is not that active or in case you don't have that many files (or large ones), it's a bad option.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

fair enough too :) better let proasm know immediately lmao.. then again it took this long to even get it setup.. contemplates silence...

then again for an unreal server 20gb... surely would'nt go through even 1-2gb a day surely. anyone even know what the average traffic usage is on a single server redirect?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Yes, if you are sure to never surpass the 20Gb value, then go ahead and use it of course :wink: , but be careful.
The thing I wanted really to point out is to not use Dropbox as a shared redirect service, because although 20Gb may sound a lot, when you have a couple of active heavily modded servers connected there, those 20Gb may be hit.
And the thing is that they really suspend the folder and all its files for a couple of days, so you cannot really get the redirect working during those days to not mention they will keep it suspended as long there's some "attempt" of activity there.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Using dropbox as a redirect is probably against their TOS and there's no need to really have the drama of violating Terms over a ten year old game. If they choose to sue you, it gets even worse. Not to mention you are stuck with lost data that if you do have a local copy of, you have to re-up. :noidea

It took time to setup this redirect though because GoPo was going to set it up. So I didn't really bother. However, when that fell through, I figured it's a good idea since I have some webspace there. Slow connections, unzipping etc etc also all took an affect on the delay. Let's not mention the other servers and forum I manage, real life, gym, etc etc it all becomes quite a packed and hectic schedule :wink:
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept
Personal rank: It's a trap!

Post by VatcilliZeitchef »

Ohhh I see someone has some huge folders! Do you happen to have Seven Bullets somewhere as well? The original site has been dead for too long. As for that redirect, Always wanted to know how to set one up. Just so that I could host a server for fun, from time to time.
Image Kayako's useful Unreal editor Icon Database Image